Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 10:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Injury »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Injury
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Injury  (Read 731 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Injury
« on: Jan 8th, 2006, 7:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if any of you remember in May 2005 when I posted a photo and a link to two articles about the use of the Cool Cap to cool down the core temperature of babies born with very low apgar scores (we're talking 0's...) from placental abruption, cord tears, and other severe birth trauma events leading to a prolonged period of lack of oxygen where significant brain and organ damage could result.

Mel had linked an article about this not all that long ago in a thread I'd posted on about my job.

At any rate, this follow-up article was posted at the start of this year about the baby in the articles from last May.  Quite a compelling story - an outcome I wish more had - but something I'm proud to be a part of. Smiley

Quote:
James Pyrih

A Cool-Cap spared him serious injury at birth.

James Pyrih is 7 months old and doing all the normal baby things: crawling, babbling, and pulling himself up on the sofa to stand.

His parents, Theresa and Mark, are amazed.

James had no heartbeat at birth, and it took doctors and nurses about 15 minutes to resuscitate him. He was rushed to the intensive-care nursery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he was outfitted with a tiny plastic cap filled with cold water.

By using the Cool-Cap to lower the temperature of James' brain, doctors hoped to prevent damage stemming from the lack of oxygen and perhaps spare him a lifetime of disability.

"He's more than we ever hoped for," said Theresa Pyrih, of Holland, Bucks County. James' five siblings "think he's wonderful and they love him like crazy."

James passed his latest checkup with flying colors.

"His neuromotor exam and his developmental exam were both on target for his age," said Shobhana Desai, a Jefferson neonatologist.

Theresa Pyrih credits the Cool-Cap for her son's good fortune. She also credits prayer.

"That has a lot to do with this as well," she said.

- Susan FitzGerald
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

Re: Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Inju
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 7:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Way Cool Carrie!!!! thumb

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

Re: Cool Cap for Birth Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain Inju
« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 2:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now that is what smiles are all about!

sayyes
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss