Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I was attacked too. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I was attacked too.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I was attacked too.  (Read 530 times)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

I was attacked too.
« on: Jan 14th, 2006, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Someone is hacking into my ebay account. It's full of crap (puter stuff) that isn't mine.  

I emailed and ebay seems to know it but what a effen mess.

Ever happen to anyone?  

MOC

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

Re: I was attacked too.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 2:40am »

Happened to me last evening. I received an e-mail that someone couldn't use PayPal to purchase something I had listed for sale. When I went to see what this was about AOL stopped me and warned that this was a site that hacked into AOL customer information. I simply deleted it asap. Before this I never received any e-mails from potential buyers. I really should have deleted it from the start.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 12:11pm »

I dropped my eBay accounts when I started getting e-mails from them about changing my credit card information being changed and eBay customer service admitted to sending the e-mails, but couldn't explain why they were being sent.  Oh well...

PFDAN............................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

E-Bay stay away, close your account, seems they have been hacked.

Lee
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 5:04pm »

Well, things look back to normal. I was pretty sure I wasn't offering 58 laptops and other puter crap. Ebay did a good job with it.  

On that, I never directly open stuff that purports to be from paypal. It's always what ebay calls spoof ebay emails.  The thing I got caught in was a response request. Somehow "hotlover45" for ID was a little iffy.

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:22pm »

Yup....sumone tried to sell BIG BUCKS stuff useing my account.....happen to get an email from a potential buyer wondering where the item disapear'd too. Was up for bid starting at over 6 grand too and I got charged for advertiseing and useing bold text you name it. Got charged 69 bucks but ebay credit'd my account. Then I found out the same item (same exact pic) was back up for sale so I emailed the dude sellin it. He said he had no idea what I was talkin about. I even turned him into ebay but never heard nothin. The interested party that had emailed me was nice enuff to spot the item later and tell me bout it......had the thing settin on a box with duct tape on the box and funky curtains in the background and not a pic easily duplicated. I figure the guy used my account to pay for the add and get interested people then pull it off within a few hours to sell privately to them and not get caught but I was lucky the one person that had an interest in it kept me informed. I figure the guy pulled it then told the people interested to use anouther email addy. And the deal probly fell thru with the potential parties so he relisted it. That place is a hackers dream Pam

Got alot of paypal emails also about updateing and tampering wanted me to 'CHECK IN'....but one had somea my credit card numbers which freaked me out listed. I updated my paypal account too in Dec cuz I got a new card and I went directly to paypal not useing a link sent. But when I went to pay for an item a week later they had no update and could not use it.....oh oh !!! So I closed that account and may close my ebay too. So be careful if ya use either one. Attacked at scamming speed !!!! Yipes !!!
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:25pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 8:24pm »

Finally got the blocks off my account.  

Cootie and kids:

Don't fret about paypal. All you have to do is to not open those emails. If you're worried, check it out yourself. Don't deal with anything asking you to verify anything.

What an effen mess today.

Such fun.

Charlie
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 8:47pm »

Ditto to Charlie.  I get spam mails from "Paypal" about my account being tampered with.  What the F------!  I've never had a Paypal account!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:06pm »

I know all the emails to update from paypal are SPOOF mails but what got me is that the ONE spoof mail had part of my credit card number on it listed !!! And when I did update paypal cuz my credit card expired then got a new one sent I updated thru the SAVED LINK from useing paypal NOT a link sent email. Then when I updated I still could not use it cuz it said it had no credit card listed ?? Huh ? So who got my info or did I do sumthin wrong and it didn't get sent properly ? Either way....too close for comfort so I closed it !!! I ignore the spoof mails and delete them but when they have gotten ahold of sum personal info to use to try harder to trick me I get ticked and a bit freaked at the same time. Spam dancer Pam  

edit: for spelling....while were on the subject of spelling....I do get a few laughs out of the spoof emails I get where the person mispells half the shit and it reads like a 2nd grader wrote it.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:09pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:27pm »

on Jan 14th, 2006, 10:26pm, Charlie wrote:
Someone is hacking into my ebay account. It's full of crap (puter stuff) that isn't mine.

Damn it Charlie, I almost had all that stuff sold, then you went and blocked it, I'm deffinately not splitting the profits with you now!!!!!!  Grin
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:59pm »

Here is a sample of what ebays runs on.

Windows Server 2003    Microsoft-IIS/6.0    4-Jan-2006        eBay, Inc
Windows Server 2003  Microsoft-IIS/6.0  24-Nov-2005  eBay, Inc
Windows Server 2003  Microsoft-IIS/6.0  21-Jul-2004     eBay, Inc

Charlie,
   If you had a strong password and never let IE store it for you, then it was probably done some other way. Aways use a very strong password, with lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and symbols for sites like Ebay or pay pal.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
chewy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:09am »

Quote:
Aways use a very strong password, with lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and symbols for sites like Ebay or pay pal.  

Good advice except EBay isn't case sensitive. I just tried it. Mixed up my user name and password with upper and lower case and still signed on.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 5:25pm »

on Jan 15th, 2006, 8:24pm, Charlie wrote:
Don't deal with anything asking you to verify anything.

Like this, Charlie?

Date: 01/09/06 23:46:24
Subject: [Notification] - Unauthorized Account Access

Dear PayPal user,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account
from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in
attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate
the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to verify your
identity:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr? cmd=_login-run

Verify your identity is a security measure that will ensure that you are
the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:08pm »

I've had several paypal and ebay e-mails that look like the real thing. All you need to do is go directly to either paypal, or ebay and check it out. Never reply or open the links and you'll be ok.  The first time I got the ebay spoof, I clicked the link which looked identical to an ebay page with logo and all. When I notified ebay, they automatically cancelled my account temporarily and had me change my password.  

Always send the info to paypal and ebay so they can tracks the not a very nice persons.
IP Logged
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 8:16pm »

Yup. Get them often. Just delete.

Spam spam spam spam and more spam!
IP Logged
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 8:42pm »

O... Does it surprise you that eBay is a M$ slave?  LOL

Good point about passwords... Bad thing is... Every damn place requires a password nowadays... You're stuck with 3 options if ya wanna use good ones...  

Forgettin' half of 'em...  Bad
Writin' 'em down...  Worse
Usin' the same password on all of 'em... Terrible, and nearly impossible.  Every site seems to have it's own rules on passwords... Some don't allow special characters, while others allow some, but don't tell you which ones until you try to use one.  Some aren't case specific, but some are.  Some want 3 to 8 characters, while some want 8 to 12.  Oy!  It's maddening.

Gonna have to build myself a biometric scanner... Just a few drops of blood, couple of hairs, half a finger nail, hand and feet prints, and a urine sample and I'll almost have access to all my passwords stored on little scraps of paper stuck to my monitor.

PFDAN.................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:38pm »

if i get spoof email from ebay i just delete email and go to ebay change my password before i log on and see if any real mail from ebay if i get any email from paypal i delete i only take cashiers checks or money orders for payment
Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 1:16am »

All you do is if you get all worried is to open your paypal all by your lonesome. Never respond.  I looked in at in a couple of times but I no longer bother. Most of my ebay stuff runs through the thing. I love it.  

Charlie

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 8:56am »

I don't sell on e-bay, but I do buy on e-bay, and have a paypal account set up with a low limit credit card.  Paypal keeps telling me that I have to "get verified" by supplying them with my checking account information.  Like Hell I will!

I don't trust Paypal as far as I can throw them!  

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 9:27am »

I got an e-mail from paypal stating that I needed to update the info. I called pay-pal and they said there was no problem. I tried to use the account later and it was said to be on hold, contact pay-pal. Called them back, and after a multitude of times being on hold and transfering, it was found that the account was on hold because someone else had tried to use it and they cought them. They said it was someone they knew was a criminal. I closed the Pay-pal account and if I buy anything from e-bay, I pay through snail mail.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 8:27pm »

After I got the email I posted above I logged into Paypal and changed my password to something that even Jesus couldnt guess......LOL Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss