Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Damn....another school shooting »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Damn....another school shooting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Damn....another school shooting  (Read 431 times)
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Damn....another school shooting
« on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

News just flashed across the TV....school shooting in Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pa.  Kid brought a rifle to school.  When is this gonna stop? Cry
IP Logged
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

Re: Damn....another school shooting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 10:18am »

Cry
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 1:48pm »

It will stop when; we allow discipline back in the schools and in the home. For most of us we know what keep us inline, it was fear. If you messed up at school you got a paddling. If you messed up at a friends house and their parents had to paddle you, it was even worse, because then when you got home you got a paddling for getting a paddling some where else and embarrassing your parents.
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 1:50pm »

Cry

It will stop when parents start parenting again.

IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 1:50pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 1:48pm, Gena wrote:
It will stop when; we allow discipline back in the schools and in the home. For most of us we know what keep us inline, it was fear. If you messed up at school you got a paddling. If you messed up at a friends house and their parents had to paddle you, it was even worse, because then when you got home you got a paddling for getting a paddling some where else and embarrassing your parents.

That's exactly it, my friend. Any punishment I got at school or at a friend's was NOTHING compared to what I was going to face once I got home.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 2:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

More punishment? More fear?  No, kids pick up guns and go into schools because they know that (regardless of the price) they will be the ones to mete out the fear when they are armed.  And these typically aren't spur of the moment things, they are often planned for weeks or months.    

Don't know what the answer is ... maybe hold parents responsible when their young offspring use their firearms to kill other people.  Jail time, execution.
IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 2:37pm »

If you have guns, lock em up. No reason little Bobby should have access to guns without parent supervision. Schools in Charleston, SC wouldn't think twice when it came to breaking out the dreaded paddle in the 60's-70's. I got smacked a few times. once for saying hi too loud to my brother in the school lunch line. I used to pray that the hot wheels company would go out of business, those orange tracks were my moms favorite tool for a beatin! Grin
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 2:46pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 1:50pm, CynthiaB wrote:
Cry

It will stop when parents start parenting again.

Amen my friend... The government needs to get OUT of parenting and let the parents get back into it.  

Holding the parents responsible would be a start. Kids do what they see (or don't see) at home.  

Hell, my parents NEVER had to tell me NOT to take a gun to school and I sure NEVER had to tell my kid that BUT I knew what my kid was doing and who he was doing it with (and YES, I knew about the drinking he did in high school because we had a "farm" where they did it - BUT no one was allowed to "leave" once they'd had a drink - they "camped" out and waited till morning to leave so we knew when he was drinking, how much and who with - it worked out well and he got it out of his system). He's almost 40 and still doesn't drive after he's had a drink (even one beer).  

But parents have to get back into things and give a damn what happens to their kids. they blame it on everything under the sun (I do all I can and he/she's still a big problem -- DO MORE!) (I have to work! So did I, but Buddy came first!)

And I'm not saying my kid was perfect (far from it) but we kept communications open and he told us a whole lot more than we "wanted" to know about everything because we didn't get hysterical and condem him - we discussed things. Our drug problem consisted of him coming in and asking me if I'd ever smoked pot. When I said yes he told me he had too. I asked him what he thought about it - he replied, "I'd rather drink beer."  

I'm on a soap box right now about how children are raised in this country. People send them to school and expect the school to raise them so they don't have to be bothered. We're going to have to start holding the parents responsible to make them take an interest in their kids. The peer pressure on the kids should be for the good - not for the bad like it is today.  

Something has to give and soon.......

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 3:16pm »

You sound pretty good up on that soapbox, too.

Parenting doesn't mean scaring your kids or beating your kids. It's a helluva lot harder than that.

IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 3:29pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 2:04pm, floridian wrote:
More punishment? More fear?

No. More respect. And respect is a two-way street, between parent and child. The old adage is true: respect isn't given, it's earned. Children learn respect when they are respected.

Very little respect left in today's society.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
dave.....
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 3:41pm »

parenting to me means..... taking interest in what your kids are doing... getting to know there friends... how are they realy doing in school... talking to them w/ respect.... every day when i get home i ask them what did you learn in school today ?? ...... we have talked about drinking,druggs,sex, .......... i respect them and they respect me .......
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 4:06pm »

Sadly, this is nothing new. When I was  a freshman in High school there was a shooting in my school. Violence has been going on in our schools for a very long time --only it was occurring in inner-city schools so no one paid attention. Now that it's reached white suburban people it's a crisis.

It's the parent's fault , the politicians fault. Society's fault....whatever...too many people are at fault.

Amazing that kids that are home alone in suburbs, so 2 parents can work for that house and SUV, are just as alone and prone to violence as their counterparts in the projects.  

Stop complaining and volunteer in a school. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2006, 4:08pm by lionsound » IP Logged
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 4:16pm »

The story has been updated....This 17 year old  got an AK-47 from his father's gun cabinet that had two locks on it and was inside a locked closet.  He took the gun to school, blasted 3 shots thru the cinder block walls in the hall and then killed himself.  He was an Eagle Scout and a volunteer fireman.  No other students were injured, thank goodness.

Still makes you shake your head and wonder why.........
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 5:02pm »

My nephew got busted by the "dog patrol" at his school because he had dropped a shot-gun shell and it rolled under the seat (when he went hunting). No guns, just one damn shell. I think that's a little much.  

I really don't think it's the guns so much as the parenting. If the schools would just "expell" problem children and make their parents atone for the kids, we might see better attitude in kids. Of course we're gonna have to start when they're VERY young and not ignore them till they're grown.  

Parents should be REQUIRED to attend Teacher Parent Conferences -- no excuses at all (seems that the ones that need to be there have all the excuses -- the ones who really don't are ALWAYS there).  

There's an old saying "Give a dog a name and he'll live up to it." If we praise our kids more and encourage them, they'll try to do more than if we criticize all the time. I always praised Buddy when he came home with C's (ok - they're passing!). It confused him so much, he brought all his grades up. I jumped all over a typing teacher cause he gave him a C. He said Buddy wasn't typing "fast" enough. I asked if he were making mistakes and he admitted that "no he wasn't" so ..... we got a B that semester. But the point is -- my kid always knew I'd go to bat for him (and win, even if it took several rounds and going to the schoolboard) when he was right and hold his hand when he was wrong.

End of thesis.... Wink

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 6:38pm »

Tough laws have no effect on this kind of thing. It's a bit like child molesters.

I have no solution either....It never did occur to me to grab one our guns and take it to school though.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
B14CK5H33P
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Circa '92

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 11:00pm »

When kids aren't disciplined, they don't learn the consequence of their actions. Nowadays kids get 'time outs' or 'grounded to their rooms' where their puters and games are - oh woe is them.

You spare the rod, you spoil the child. Simple as that. If a kid never learns that harsh actions bring harsh conseqeunces, they'll have no fear of doing anything, including taking a human life. Some parents simply ignore their kids, and the kids lash out towards society.

It's just plain sad.

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged

My show is Sundays from 7pm - 1am eastern on www.wildbunchradio.com

Reality Is For Those Who Lack Imagination - Ken Olsen (R.I.P.)
Won't give up it wants me dead, Goddamn this noise inside my head -NIN
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 11:19pm »

violence, begets violence. i heard someone say once. in my opinion, violence is not an option, especially around kids. andrew
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 12:53am »

The kid's father found a bad report card the night before, but his father reported that they were both sitting and watching tv together that night and his son got up and went to school the next morning as usual.  Nothing was strange, apparently.

But this was an AK-47....who keeps one of these around?  The guy on the news said that this can even blow through any potential body-armor.

It really saddens me because this is a school I've been to many times.  I played band festivals there.  My best friend went to school at Springfield Delco.....Springfield Montco is nearby, though....  Sad

It's a normal, suburban school - just like the rest.  Just very sad....

I'm very saddened that this kid did this, but I am also very glad that nobody else got hurt.  

Peace,
Carrie
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 4:05pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 11:00pm, B14CK5H33P wrote:
When kids aren't disciplined, they don't learn the consequence of their actions.  

Carl D

On that point, you and I agree 100 %.  There are many kids today who don't understand the concept of  
*actions=consequences*.

Unfortunately, that's about the only point we agree on.

Nowadays kids get 'time outs' or 'grounded to their rooms' where their puters and games are - oh woe is them.

Carl D

Undoubtably, you've not seen just how effective grounding can be, when it's done age appropriately.  Case in point, my daughter is 22, HOWEVER, her car is still in our name.  Catch my drift?  She still lives at home (full-time grad student) and she knows there are rules that must be followed.  Her friends have asked her *why* she follows them and her reponse is simple, "I live at home and those are the rules".  

You spare the rod, you spoil the child. Simple as that.  
Peace,
Carl D

How many children have you raised?
IP Logged

If it weren't for the gutter, y mind would be homeless.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v123/tribander_3/

You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss