Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'm starting a new holiday tradition in my family. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'm starting a new holiday tradition in my family.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'm starting a new holiday tradition in my family.  (Read 362 times)
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

I'm starting a new holiday tradition in my family.
« on: Dec 15th, 2006, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Each and every one of us here has donated to worthy causes over the span of our lives.  Either in monitary donations or donations of our time and efforts.

So many times we have no idea what/when/or where our gifts end up, but I plan to change that each and every year while I have the ability.

This year, I know of one particular family in my community who is struggling due to high cancer treatment costs for a 4 year old in their family.  Two parents and 4 children ages 4-16 have sold their home and moved into a 3 bedroom trailer home to stay afloat.

I'm not rich by any strech of the immagination, but I've been blessed with this new job where I have it better than I have in 12 years.  

My plan this year, is to purchace the makings of a holiday dinner for 6, a gift for each person in that family and leave at their door.

I recall the year I was divorced, and the lawyer who drew up the final papers put the wrong address on them and 2 child support checks went to the wrong address and were cashed and I was broke for the holidays.  I of course called the police and made the reports, but still I had nothing and 2 small children to feed.  Not only did I find a card in mail box with 200 in cash but on Christmas morning there were gifts on the front step of my apartment for the three of us.

Pay it forward folks.  I'm sure we all know a family in need that the "system" doesn't know about: who's faith in human kind could use a little boost.

Can you think of anyone?  If not, ask your kids who are in shool.  They probably do.

Spread the real meaning of the season, who ever your God may be.

Blessed Yuletide to all....
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: I'm starting a new holiday tradition in my fam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 7:24pm »

What a beautiful way to "live" the meaning of the season!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 7:30pm »

How did someone cash the checks?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 7:36pm »

on Dec 15th, 2006, 7:30pm, Jonny wrote:
How did someone cash the checks?

The address they were sent to, they guy there had a few girlfriends.  One check was cashed at a local restaurant, the other at a gas station.  The cashed checks were retrieved from the Childsupport office and the guy (at the address) and one of the women were charged and convicted on one of the forgeries, the other one the gal fled the state, so he didn't admit to that one.  I was "awarded" restitution for the forged one that was convicted so Child support didn't issue another check for that, but they did for the one that there was no conviction on.  Still it took a year to get anything out of it at all.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 7:42pm »

Pegg, that is really sweet. Paying it forward, your exactly right. Thanks for bringing me back to planet earth.

Bless you-
Beth
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 8:03pm »

LOL....I guess cashing checks here is way different Grin

Im glad you got paid for the one though!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 8:26pm »

on Dec 15th, 2006, 8:03pm, Jonny wrote:
LOL....I guess cashing checks here is way different Grin

Im glad you got paid for the one though!

I live in a town where in-bred Polocks make up the vast majority of the population.  Not the sharpest knives.  

The restitution I doubt I'll ever see...It's been over 10 years now...he's not about to pay it.  Oh well it's his Kharma not mine. Grin
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 8:32pm »

The point in this is...I believe it was the Police officers that took a collection and sent that cash and then also sent the gifts.  

We all know deserving people who could use a boost.  Who are too proud, or just too "new" to need, that could use the gift of hope.  

IP Logged

Fredmyyster
New Board Old Timer
USA 

SK8 2 Live !

Fredmyyster  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 9:16pm »

I live in a small town and i do volunteer work for the Childrens Christmas Festival every year and its so nice seeing the smiles on these kids faces that are less fortunate.
They have no clue as to their family's income. It is a fun day.

Year round i am also a mentor for The Big Brothers Big Sisters Organization. ( Big Brothers Big Sisters.Org )  As i get older i realize more and more of my family's shortcomings as a child and i feel like that now that i am grown and have achieved my goals its time to give back to the community and it all starts with the innocent.  It gives me joy and peace at Christmas and all year long....

Any and all acts of kindness are appreciated for all ages at any time of year.....
IP Logged

Have pump will travel...
Will work for Pools.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 9:31pm »

May the fates Bless you Fred

Don't give till it hurts, give till it feels good.
IP Logged

Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 12:35am »

My tree looks pretty empty this year. We have chosen to have gifts only for the children. My adult children, my husband, mother and myself will be dropping off a check at the Oregon Food Bank about equal to what we normally spend. There are people in real need, and we want for nothing, really.

Oregon Food Bank can turn $10.00 into $28.00 worth of food for a family, and they ONLY serve those who are UNDER employed, rather than UN-employed and on food stamps etc.

Yes, it feels good.........

Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 4:13am »

Pegg,
that's a wonderful idea! Smiley

Me and mum have been baking all sort of Christmas sweet things and sent some of them to mum's two brothers, who cannot make them themselves. They are in their 70s and are unmarried. We have been sending them cookies and sweet buns as long as I can recall. I love baking, and sending those things to two people who love them makes it extra special.

For years now when we send cards as a family they have been all sort of charity cards. This year they are Red Cross or Finland's Cancer Association.  

Back in here the Salvation Army collects things which are later on given to the families who cannot afford any Christmas presents. All the donations go to the local families.

Every Christmas Eve there will be held a special Christmas party at the Helsinki city centre, in which all those who cannot afford a meal will get a proper Finnish Christmas meal and those who do not have a home can rest and feel warm. This party was started by a man called veikko Hursti. He passed away few years ago and now his son is continuing the tradition with volunteers.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 4:45am »

I loved reading your post Pegg - and you're so right!

Happy Holidays!

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss