Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « With that pain you will try anything...try this »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   With that pain you will try anything...try this
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: With that pain you will try anything...try this  (Read 1309 times)
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

Re: With that pain you will try anything...try thi
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It was the brown fiz pills Grin
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 7:03pm »

on Dec 18th, 2006, 3:31pm, alchemy wrote:
Water thats where i went wrong. Maybe that explains why i don't take a piss i take a pizz.

That must be why you got stuck cleaning the pizzer.  Grin
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:22pm »

Ah. Interesting.  

Is it really true that carbonated water, etc. gets into the system faster? Sounds good and I always take Alka Seltzer cold stuff.

Your post reminded me that it's about time for this:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 12:54am »

on Dec 18th, 2006, 8:22pm, Charlie wrote:
Ah. Interesting.  
Is it really true that carbonated water, etc. gets into the system faster? Sounds good and I always take Alka Seltzer cold stuff.

Yes.
There was some research long ago that showed the effervescence sped up the process of getting the pain reliever into your system faster.

Don't make me go dig it out....trust me, please. Don't make me go look at pictures of that little alka-seltzer kid.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 2:34am »

on Dec 18th, 2006, 2:04pm, hopefullyhelpfull wrote:
Carbonated alcohol gets faster to your brain,
Carbonated pain killer does exactly the same,

Its why redbull works, it has taurine and caffeine and is carbonated,so fast acting.

Carbonation may be part of the reason it works so well but if you look at the chemical reaction of taurine once it hits the bile acids it turns into H2O2 hydrogen peroxide, it appears that this happens very quickly & has a lasting effect.
Effectively as I see it you are getting an extra molecule of oxygen from the reaction & as H2O2 is self oxygen generating it therefore doesn’t scavenge oxygen from the rest of your system.

I have been trailing taurine & magnesium since April this year, I’m chronic & I have been PF for 77 days this time around, still shadow to varying degrees but no hits.
Not being a Chemist or Doctor I may of course have this wrong but it works for me.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:14am »

Quote:
Don't make me go dig it out....trust me, please. Don't make me go look at pictures of that little alka-seltzer kid.

Speedy? Dancing around with that silly song.....Bring him on. It's been 50 years.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #31 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 7:20am »

IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #32 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 7:25am »

That looks like a VERY young Regis Philbin?  

The kid, not Speedy....LOL.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 7:31am »

I think the guy's name is Dick Beals.

But I can definitely see a young Regis.

Edited to add: He was the voice of Speedy, as well as Davy from Davy and Goliath.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006, 7:41am by Brew » IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 8:29am »

on Dec 18th, 2006, 2:04pm, hopefullyhelpfull wrote:
Ok, ok
point taken and noted,first post and all that,I can only offer my sincere apology to anyone offended Embarassed
My history of these isnt important,my advice could be, if it helps one person it's worth the stick i get for bad punctuation and long posts
I do have to say that it wasnt a case of dunk your head in cold water, it had to be a shower head,ice packs worked, but to slow, water was quicker,cold water,freezes the side of the head and the induvidual shower jets cool different veins,and was also great at pain releif to the eye,i found anyway.
Carbonated alcohol gets faster to your brain,
Carbonated pain killer does exactly the same,

Its why redbull works, it has taurine and caffeine and is carbonated,so fast acting.
I kept saying your pain as i have been free of these for 3 years now,after suffering for 15 i do not consider myself a victim of these anymore(maybe false hope but at least its hope)
anyway i'm off now,wont be back for a while hopefully, my advice given if not greatly presented,
can i just add if anyone is going surfing down the gower later give me a shout,share a car save the planet,we all live on it for now......so think on,peace Grin

I'm sorry, but your history is more important than your advice.  We support each other.  We get to know each other.  

You say you won't be back for awhile.  You'll probably get a new name and start over.  Why not read first, then join the conversations and get to know people?  Why hit and run?  Why change your name each time?

Charlotte
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #35 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:13am »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 7:20am, brewcrew wrote:

Plop.....plop......
Fizz....fizz.......
Oh what a relief it is....

Talk about a brainworm...

At least the younger folks won't have that circulating around in their heads all days.  

Thanks guys--I mean that sincerely.  Tongue

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss