Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Favorite Christmas Cookie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Favorite Christmas Cookie
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Favorite Christmas Cookie  (Read 369 times)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Favorite Christmas Cookie
« on: Dec 20th, 2006, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Holiday Spice Cookies (recipe is real - presentation just for fun)

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 cup un-sulfured molasses
6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup mixed nuts and 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (combined in one bowl)
1 bottle Jose Curevo (optional and/or freely substitute favorite holiday spirits)  

Pour large glass of Cuervo (or substitute) and taste to check quality while locating a large bowl.  Check the Cuervo again to be sure it is of the highest quality and refill to one level glass.

In large bowl, mix butter and sugar until somewhat light and fluffy. Incorporate eggs and molasses with an electric mixer.  Reduce evaporation by frequently sampling Cuervo and locate a small bowl.

In small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.  With mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until loosely incorporated.  Sample Cuervo as desired and be sure to keep hand clear of rotating beaters.    

STOP MIXER > Finish mixing dough by hand, divide into thirds and wrap each third in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour, Preheat oven to 350 F.  Refill Cuervo as needed, remove loose clothing as desired, secure services of assistant, preferably someone not sharing your Cuervo.  

Roll dough to approx. 1/8 inch thick between two pieces of waxed paper.  Cut into shapes with cookie cutters (resist temptation to hand shape cookies at this time).  Transfer shapes to non-greased cookie sheets.  Decorate lightly with mixture of nuts and dried fruits.  Refrigerate cookies about 15 minutes.  Continue sampling Cuervo to ensure quality hasn’t diminished.      

Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until crisp but not dark.  Remove to wire racks to cool (Lacking an assistant - cover unbaked cookies with plastic wrap and chill overnight - finish baking in the morning).

MERRY CHRISTMAS
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2006, 1:21pm by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
wishitwouldsnow

Email

Re: Favorite Christmas Cookie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Peppermint White Capped Cookies

1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt  
6 tbsp. milk
3 tsp. peppermint extract
8 oz. almond bark (white chocolate) for topping

Cream shortening and sugar.  Blend in egg and vanilla.  Sift in dry ingredients alternating with milk.  Add extract.  Mix well and chill for about 30 min.  Roll into 1 inch balls and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cool.

Topping

Melt 8 oz almond bark in microwave proof container for 1 min. on half power.  Stir and then microwave again for 1 min. on half power.  Stir until chocolate is smooth.  Take each cooled cookie and turn upside down, dip tops into white chocolate, tap off excess chocolate then turn rightside up and place on parchment paper (I use a cut up paper bag) to set.

Yields 4 dozen cookies

Seasons Greetings Everyone Smiley
melissa
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 7:50pm »

Anything Swedish.
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 8:02pm »

Guess tht would be  

Gingerbread
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 9:19pm »

I just made homemade cream cheese frosting yesterday for the first time.  Everyone liked it a lot.  Here is the recipe (I would suggest use on sugar cookies).

Butter (use a few tbsp so that you have a cube of butter... maybe 3)
1 package of cream cheese

(Warm the two together for easy mixing)

add 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla

mix thoughroughly.

Add more vanilla to and sugar to taste and texture if needed and add food coloring for color if needed.

Everyone loved it but then again for whatever reason they love me at work so they might have been lying to me to keep me from quitting.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 9:53pm »

Ok Firm,

You forgot to add -- put that stuff on top of a carrot cake...  

Recipe:

1 Box of Carrot Cake mix
Shredded Carrots (use your own judgement)
Nuts (lots of them)
And whatever the rest of the box says to do (eggs, oil, water)

Bake as stated on box....

Wait till it's cool and then put that cream cheese icing on it and add more nuts to the top of that.  

UMMMM UMMM Good!

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 10:11pm »

I usually bake 20 or more different kinds to give away at Christmas.  This year I only got to 18 because of my dad's passing (slacker, I know).  Here are some of my favorites:

^^^^^
Candycane Chocolate

1 pound white chocolate; see note below
3/4 cup Crushed candycanes
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Note: You can use white chocolate, confectionary coating, or almond bark - they all work.

Melt chocolate in microwave on medium for 2-4 mintues - stir until smooth. Stir in candy canes and spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Melt chocolate chips (about 30 seconds to one minute in the microwave) and stir until smooth. Drizzle melted chips over candy cane layer. Freeze five minutes or refrigerate for 10 - until set. Break into bite sized pieces. Stores well in freezer and is heavenly with coffee.

^^^^^
The Best Buckeyes

2 cups crunchy peanut butter
1 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 6 oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 stick parafin wax

Mix first three ingredients well. Roll into small balls and place on cookie sheets covered with wax paper. Freeze 1/2 to 1 hour. While freezing, melt chocolate chips and wax in a double boiler - remove from heat, but keep over warm water. Spear a peanut butter ball with a toothpick and dip frozen balls into chocolate (STOP LAUGHING JONNY), covering all but an eye shaped portion of the peanut butter ball (thus looking like buckeyes). Return to waxed paper. Allow to set up.

These taste just like Reese's Peanut butter cups, and keep well in an airtight canister. They freeze well, and look great on a holiday cookie tray.

Makes a gazillion

^^^^^
Adult Dream Bars (Don't waste these on the kids)

6 oz semisweet (or bittersweet) chocolate; chopped
6 oz white chocolate; chopped
6 oz Milk chocolate; chopped
12 tablespoons Butter
2 cups Cinnamon graham crackers; 16 double crackers
1 1/3 cup coconut
3 cups pecan halves
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350°F .  Cover a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Mix all chopped chocolate pieces together and set aside.  Melt butter in jelly roll pan in preheating oven for 5-10 minutes.  Spread butter evenly over pan.  Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the butter, mixing with a spatula to moisten.  Press the crumbs down firmly with your fingers. Spread coconut evenly over the crumbs.
Reserving one scant cup pecan halves, chop the remainder and scatter over the coconut.  Scatter the mixed chocolate over the chopped pecans.  Slowly and evenly pour the milk over the entire pan.  Arrange reserved pecan halves over the top in long rows about one inch from edge.  Bake for 10
minutes.  Remove from oven and press pecan halves firmly into the bars. Return to oven and bake 10 -15 more minutes until the bubbling milk is pale golden brown.

Cool completely on a wire rack. Invert slab to peel off foil and then reinvert to cut into long rectangles.

Yummy!

Happy baking!
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 3:17am »

Thank goodness I've done most of this year's Christmas baking!  

I made  
ruispiparkakkuja (gingerbread made of rye flour), juustokuusia (cheese tree cookies - shape of a christmas trees),  
joulutorttuja (sweet pastries with plum, dane or apricot filling, plum is the traditional),  
minttusuklaatankoja (mint-chocolate sticks) and glögikakku (mulled wine plum cake - fruit cake which is not dry! Wink)  

I'm going to make some carrot-cheese buns later. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss