Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Spouse Has Question about molds/cluster headaches »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Spouse Has Question about molds/cluster headaches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Spouse Has Question about molds/cluster headaches  (Read 1846 times)
danswoman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Spouse Has Question about molds/cluster headaches
« on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

12.22.06:My husband is a long time sufferer of cluster headaches. He thankfully skipped last year, but is in a series now of 22 days. This is the longest he's ever gone, suffering 2/day. Is anyone from IA or the mid-west where the weather has stayed warm & moist? Usually by now we have cold weather. We are wondering if something like corn mold or something that hasn't 'frozen off' yet like it normally would is what is triggering the headaches. Nothing else in his life is different. The series usually starts in late October/early November just before our weather turns cold & freezes.We feel so desperate at this point...I know there are lots of cluster headache sufferers out there, but are there any from our area that might be thinking a long the lines we are????? Thanks for any input....danswoman
IP Logged

danswoman
ax

Email

Re: Spouse Has Question about molds/cluster headac
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi there
Sorry to hear your having a hard time.
Clusters are always changing as we age, few people are an exception. It's not likely that the change in weather is the culprit although you never know. All you can do is adapt to how you treat them. One thing I did different to help end my most recent cycle is light therapy. I know it helped. Statistically, most clusterheads live in higher lattitudes, away from the equator, which causes a greater fluctuation in day/night cycles.  

I set a timer on a 300 watt light pointed at my face for wake time. Kept everything very bright during the day. At night, about 7pm lights were normal. One hour before bed time I went to a pitch black room.

Obviously sleep deprivation was a problem, but I kept my exposure to the lights consistant. It might be worth a try.

Sorry ther are no answers to end a cycle, unless you want to look into the shroom therapy, but that's a subject I know little about.

Best wishes-
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:24am »

Cluster headaches has no known cause and no known cure. There are things that can trigger attacks and drugs can sometimes start cycles early. I had a cycle started by Zoloft. Weather can play a roll in making cycles worse, but not sure if it can start them. CH keeps changing, I went from episodic to chronic, it just happens. Keep reading , keep learning, that's the best you can do.

Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:30am »

I wish it was that easy to say yes . . .it's the mold,  yes it's the pollen, yes it's the whatever.

My DH was in a chronic cycle for 18 months and has been pain free since August 19th.

We live in Southeastern Wisconsin surrounded by corn fields, soybean fields, and grasses.

I wish there was an easy answer.

Bless you as you struggle through this.
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:56am »

I grew up in northern Indiana in a farming community.  High humidity (lake effect), lots of agricultural pollens and molds--probably exposed to lots of agricultural chemicals as well.  I was episodic there, twice a year, like clockwork.  

Moved to Idaho in 1972, and have lived there ever since.  Low humidity, higher altitude, low exposure to environmental molds and agricultural chemicals, completely different pollen mix.  Episodic there, twice a year like clockwork (until I got older).  Really the only thing in common environmentally between the two places is that they're both right around 45 degrees north latitude.  

I agree with Mosaicwench--it would certainly be nice to be able to point to something that is a definitive cause.  But I, for one, have never been able to pin anything down that is external (other than seasonal changes in light)--whether it's odors, foods, chemicals, pollens, dander, or whatever.

Hope your husband's attacks end soon.  I'm sorry to hear that he's getting hit so hard.  Tell us a little about the treatment approaches he's tried so far--perhaps we can suggest some things he hasn't tried yet.

Welcome, and best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:43pm »

Sorry for all your pain. There are triggers for some people. Alcohol is a common one but not for me and some others. Light and seasonal change seem to have an effect on this horror. Age too but it's not proven.

All the luck in the world and stick around. You'll find good ideas here.  

Here is one that worked for me most of the time:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss