Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Merry Prednisone? Yeah right! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Merry Prednisone? Yeah right!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Merry Prednisone? Yeah right!  (Read 585 times)
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Merry Prednisone? Yeah right!
« on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Prednisone isn't working for the first time in a long time.

It worked the first day.  2nd day Ken had shadows and got hit. Last night, he got hit twice.  I have 1 nasal spray left and 1 can of Red Bull.  I don't understand this and I have to find a way to catch this f'en beast in time.

He stays up ALL night afraid to go to sleep! This is ridiculous! It's Christmas for God's sake!!!!!!

This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the vent!  
Toni
IP Logged
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

Re: Merry Prednisone? Yeah right!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:13am »

Is he on the tapper down, 3times first day and so on??
IP Logged

fishing for relief in a very big pond.
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:14am »

Yes, It is a 7 day taper pack (21 pills)

Sad
IP Logged
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:21am »

That susks bad for him, I started my tapper down yesterday also thank god, And it finally ended weeks of my missery!
     Thats bad when you think you have an old stanby and its not kicked in.  
 Is there anything in the diet, Alcohol, cheese, something, that may trigger!
IP Logged

helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:33am »

No, there has been no change in diet at all. This is a very odd cycle, and not knowing what his cycle is to begin with doesn't help matters either.

He was chronic for 18 years, 3-4 a day then they stopped for 7 years. Then they came back in October of 2003 3 times a day.  He went on Verapamil and taper packs and they seemed to go away.  Then they came back in October of 2006 and now they seem to only come 1 hour after he falls asleep.  It doesn't matter when he falls asleep, day or night, they come 45-1 hour after he's asleep.  This is weird and has never happened like this before, so we aren't sure what his cycle is, but he's afraid to go to sleep.  Sad

Toni
IP Logged
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:53am »

Thats exactly like mine to the teeeee! Im afraid to go to bed for fear of the wakeup!! I know its coming.
     Im also on verapimil and also topamax but after awhile I still got the wake ups and here I am now back on the Tapper down. I have to use Imitrex injections, nothing else works for my killer head aches and lets me get back to sleep( as I get up every day at 5 for work).
    The doctor did prescribe Lorazapan to help sleep while on the prednisone, maybe you can get a sleep aid and that will give him a kick start!! To get the meds going and get him some much needed sleep.  Huh
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:01am »

Toni,

Pick up some Melatonin, and some benadryl.  Have him try a combination of the two 1/2 hour before sleep.  I had success with 9mg of the melatonin and 50 mg of benadryl for 3 months to interrupt the REM cycle and I was able to get some sleep.  

Depriving one's self of sleep will only serve to leave him too tired out to battle when the hit comes.  Even blocking 1 REM sleep cycle will give him a couple hours of much needed rest.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:07pm »

I've been on the benadryl/melatonin combination for a week, and I wish I had started it sooner. 3 days into it, and I didn't wake up to the beast once.  

The daytime hits are also much less intense. Possibly due to ending the sleep deprivation? Probably a combination of increasing seratonin and improving the sleep deprivation.  

Whatever the process is, it has done for me what topamax, verapamil, and a prednisone taper have not been able to do.

Definitely take the benadryl with it, though. For some reason, my system did not like the melatonin by itself. I am taking 75 mg of benadryl and 6mg of melatonin. I don't wake up groggy, and I'm not having any strange dreams.

I feel like Christmas has come early for my home. I hope it works for him as wells as it has worked for me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss