Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trolls... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2007 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trolls...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trolls...  (Read 1071 times)
ax

Email

Trolls...
« on: Dec 31st, 2006, 3:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Found this on a different message board. Thought it could be of use here....

Quote:
Internet Trolls

The characterising feature of trolling is the perception of intent to disrupt a community in some way. Inflammatory, sarcastic, disruptive or humorous content is posted, meant to draw other users into engaging the troll in a fruitless confrontation. The greater the reaction from the community the more likely the user is to troll again, as the person develops beliefs that certain actions achieve his/her goal to cause chaos. This gives rise to the often repeated protocol in Internet culture: "Do not feed the trolls."

Often, a person will post a sincere message about which he is emotionally sensitive. Skillful trolls know that an easy way to upset him is to falsely claim that he is a "troll." In forums where most users are similar to each other, outsiders may be perceived as trolls simply because they do not fit into the social norms of that group. It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between a user who merely has different values, views, or ideas, and a user who is intentionally trolling. This can lead to genuinely hostile behavior, including flame wars.
"Do not feed the trolls."

The term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument . When appropriately applied to purposefully disruptive online behavior, the word troll economically converts an abstract code of online manners into a concrete image.

Often, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives that may be incorrect. Regardless of the writer's motives, controversial posts are likely to attract a corrective or patronizing or outraged response by those who do not distinguish between real physical community (where people are actually exposed to some shared risk of bodily harm by their actions), and epistemic community (based on a mere exchange of words and ideas). Customs of discourse, or  etiquette, originating in physical communities are often applied naively to online discourse by newcomers who are not used to the range of views expressed online, often anonymously. Hence, both users and posts are commonly, and sometimes inaccurately, labelled as trolls when their content upsets people — ironically, the accusatory labeling of a troll may be more disruptive than the original alleged offense itself. Also, people may be more inclined to use epithets like troll in online public discussion than they would be in person, because online forums may seem more impersonal.

There is a quote on IMDb which says that the common troll does not understand the words 'opinion' and 'leave', meaning that it feels it has superior opinions and will not quit until reaching its own trolling satisfaction. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding encourages a true troll to continue disruptive posts to that forum — hence the often-seen warning "Please do not feed the troll", for which PDNFTT is a common initialism. Posting this warning publicly, in reply to a troll's behavior to discourage further replies, may discourage the troll. However, it can also have the reverse effect, becoming itself food for the troll. Therefore, when a forum participant sees an apparently innocent answer to a troll as potential troll food, it may be more prudent to deliver the "Please do not feed the troll" warning in a private message to the answerer (e.g., by email, or PM).

An example of a successful troll is the well-known "Oh how I envy American students" USENET thread which had 3,000-odd follow-ups. A new USENET newsgroup, "alt.genius.bill-palmer", was created by Igor Chudov for the purpose of creating an outlet for discussing a controversial USENET personality, Bill Palmer, himself an alleged USENET troll who managed to make his personality the center of all discussions -- a characteristic that is common amongst attention-seeking trolls. A swirl of messages attempting to disprove his alleged status as genius, cross-posted to a wide variety of groups, made "a.g.b-p", the most popular new "alt.*" newsgroup of the year. Its creator was nominated for the "Troll of the Year 1996" award.  
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Trolls...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 10:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You might be?
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
ax

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 3:36pm »

Na  

I just see a lot of folks get accused of being trolls here from dickheads like ?

hoping this would help clarify the definition to those who acuse. A little too deep for you I suppose.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 4:28pm »

Guest.....no surprise.....LOL Grin

Any of you fuckers want to own up to being the dick behind the mask?

Didnt think so......Pu-ssy!!!!

Oh!....BTW....DJ has your ISP  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2007, 4:30pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 4:37pm »

Huh What does this have to do with CH? Angry
Do they also have verbage for a guest troll? Do your stuff Jonny.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 5:10pm »

on Jan 1st, 2007, 3:36pm, ax wrote:
Na  

I just see a lot of folks get accused of being trolls here from dickheads like ?

hoping this would help clarify the definition to those who acuse. A little too deep for you I suppose.
Yep.Pretty deep for this ol cowpoke.
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 5:12pm »

"What happened to him?"

"Dont ax me, I dunno."  Cool
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 2:42pm »

instead of the perennial loaded question of "have you stopped beating your wife", ax's post was akin to having someone come in and say, "wifebeaters are bad people, they'll never stop beating their wives, but I stopped beating mine this morning."

geez.... what a wierd contribution.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 3:03pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 2:42pm, seasonalboomer wrote:
the perennial loaded question of "have you stopped beating your wife",

The reason it will always be that way is because in the English language, it is not possible to make an assumption by asking a question.  This is the one prime example that is usually cited how it is incorrectly done, and can only be done for the sake of deception, which this expression exemplifies, usually stated as "when did you stop beating your wife?"
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2007, 3:08pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 4:04pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 3:03pm, Kevin_M wrote:

The reason it will always be that way is because in the English language, it is not possible to make an assumption by asking a question.  This is the one prime example that is usually cited how it is incorrectly done, and can only be done for the sake of deception, which this expression exemplifies, usually stated as "when did you stop beating your wife?"
Or eating shit sandwiches.Just another goof ball waiting in the wings
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 6:29pm »

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:44am »

Make your point, defend your point, disagree and move on.  Don't become a troll by feeding one.  They're easy to identify.

They become extremely defensive to any response no matter how basic or informational  

They respond with personnal shots to provoke  responses that stray from the topic.  The more ingredients in the soup the better their chances of keeping the pot boiling.    

They mix apologies to some with additional personal shots at others

They find ways to disagree with everyone and everything without contributing new information

They always want the last word.  Let them have it and they will soon seek a new bridge to hide under.

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:00am »

Trolls?
I like Trolls.........They taste good Bar-B-Qued with a touch of paprika and Adobo seasoning.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Steve smokin
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss