Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 12:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « causes? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2007 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   causes?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: causes?  (Read 423 times)
tkline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

causes?
« on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 7:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anynone know what is actually happening in our heads to cause such pain?

I am just at the end of my rope. I keep feeling if i can understand whats happening i can deal with it better.  

It hurts so bad to move my eyes ( pain deep behind eyes) and the base of my skull feels like its more muscular. am i crazy or what.  

Does anyone find this monster to be worse in the winter like me?  Thanks
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: causes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:02pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 7:40pm, tkline wrote:

I know there is a picture of the trig nerve that goes laterally along the side of the scull to above and below the eyes.  That SOB can transmit some notice when disturbed.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:09pm »

ice/cold make some worse and others heat makes it worse.  In my case heat and the summer months make mine worse and more intense.  However I know that changes in the barometric pressure such as when it rains or snows makes it bad for me also.  I don't think your crazy.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
tkline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:12pm »

Thanks guys. It's nice to know someone understands.
I just finished hugging my toilet and thinking I couldn't take anymore when I decided to go online with you guys. Thanks again     Tina
IP Logged
Paul98

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 2nd, 2007, 7:40pm, tkline wrote:

I am just at the end of my rope. I keep feeling if i can understand whats happening i can deal with it better.  

It hurts so bad to move my eyes ( pain deep behind eyes) and the base of my skull feels like its more muscular. am i crazy or what.  

Does anyone find this monster to be worse in the winter like me?  Thanks

The ch attacks we have are caused from neurological disfunction in the hypothalmys region in the brain.  This disfunction causes a release of vasodilators through the trigeminic (sp?) nerve.  This causes massive swelling in the blood vessles to the regions of the braine that controll the eye, ear, jaw, etc.   Basically your blood vessles in the head swell and this causes the severe pain you feel.   The Ch headaches are specific to innervation to groups of nerves in the head which give it the chareristic "CH" footprint.  

Get to a good doctor that will listen to you.  Pain killers do not work for CH. (asprine, codine, etc.)  Oxygen is a good abortive as is other meds.  Look the the pannel to the left and do research.  

-P.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:36pm »

Its the orange/yellow nerve.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:25pm »

Well.....I'd say these people have answered the question. Perhaps this technique will help you:

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique:

I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

Charlie  

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
tkline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:34pm »

Charlie, thank you for you help. I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thanks Tina
IP Logged
glen jenkins
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 2:52am »

well charlie i sure would like to know more if it dulling the experience of ch`s  i `d  do anything ? i know its not a cure but like you said i onlty have pain to lose
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss