Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « So you wanna fly, huh? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2007 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   So you wanna fly, huh?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: So you wanna fly, huh?  (Read 822 times)
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

So you wanna fly, huh?
« on: Dec 19th, 2007, 1:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I pray that anyone who is flying somewhere this month...stays safe.   Shocked

http://travel.flightexplorer.com/snapshot.aspx
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: So you wanna fly, huh?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 3:06pm »

Holy crap there is a lot of planes in the air.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 3:19pm »

Linda,

That snapshot is amazing but there seemed to be more cars than that this morning on I-95 North and the Surekill (AKA, Schuylkill) Expressway in Philly.  Sheesh.  Holiday travel seems to be starting early this year.

I'd feel a whole lot safer being in one of those planes than on the highway.

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:35pm by cynjeep89 » IP Logged
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:20pm »

I'm assuming this includes planes like FedEx and ups and other shipping firms - not just passenger airlines.

IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:28pm »

And Wednesdays are the day of the week with the lowest volume of passengers and least flights for passenger airlines.  Check back this Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, Sunday.
IP Logged
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:03pm »

When I first checked out the pic of the in air flights, my thoughts were, "Wow, lots of people flying", "the airports must be packed", "glad I'm not flying this week", "It's so great to think about all of the people who will be visiting relatives for the holiday", etc.

The second glance at the picture brought back memories of watching the news shortly after 9/11.  I remember watching so many of those dots disappear as all planes were ordered to land.

I live not far from Philadelphia Airport and can usually hear the flights heading over my house but also remember the eerie silence when not one plane could be heard.

Strange how a pic can bring out so many emotions....good and bad.

IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:05pm »

Flying to NYC on Christmas Day.  Hope most of them people are home opening presents!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:29pm »

Bob...if you leave right now (in your car)  you'll avoid all this, be able to pack as many liquids as you want, see something besides clouds, not have to go through security, AND....be able to stop and stretch those long legs of yours whenever ya want.

Just saying...
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm flying this weekend out of Skyharbor in Phoenix. I'm prepared this time. Bought some new shoes..........
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:07pm »

ah yes...Sky Harbor, what a great place to lose weight.   Angry
IP Logged

zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 9:13pm »

Linda, ( You Little Devil You ) My Neighbor is an ex-air force pilot who now flies for AA. He has been to my house over 100 times, and I love how he tells me how he lands his flights in  Munich.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 9:25pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 8:07pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

ah yes...Sky Harbor, what a great place to lose weight.   Angry

Every time I fly out of that airport im ten pounds lighter, and it has nothing to do with security....LOL  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:16pm »

Sky Harbor's expansion and progressive terminal costs:

Quote:
Phoenix Sky Harbor began emerging as one of the nation's major passenger airports in 1952 with the opening of Terminal 1. Built at a cost of $835,000, Terminal 1 was among the most modern and efficient passenger terminals of its time.

Terminal 2 opened in 1962, the year Sky Harbor surpassed the one million passenger mark. Constructed for $2.7 million, comprising 330,000 square feet and 19 gates, Terminal 2 was one of the nation's most modern facilities.  

With the opening of Terminal 2, Phoenix planners hoped to service airline traffic until the year 2000. But passenger usage tripled again in less than 10 years and when construction of the $35 million Terminal 3 and its $13 million parking garage began in 1976, 4.4 million people were flying in and out of the airport. After Terminal 3 opened in 1979, passenger traffic grew to 7 million.  

Terminal 4 broke ground in October, 1989 and opened in November, 1990. At $248 million, Terminal 4 was the largest structural capital improvement project in Phoenix.  

http://phoenix.gov/skyharborairport/about/hm-airhist.html

We had a new terminal open a few years back at over a billion dollar cost, seems in line with past cost progression.  Expensive to expand to accomodate better nowadays.

Fifty years, from under a million to over a billion.  1000%
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:21pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:26pm »

Quote:
Every time I fly out of that airport im ten pounds lighter, and it has nothing to do with security....LOL    

ohjez

IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:35pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 10:16pm, Kevin_M wrote:
Fifty years, from under a million to over a billion.  1000%

Thats easy.......Unions....dont kill the job!

My brother worked on the big dig for ten years, he told me that guys on the night shift drank and was doing coke........stealing everything they could get their hands on.

And some people wonder why it went from 3 bill to 15 bill, and from 5 years to complete to 16 years. (dont kill the job)

My brother was forced out for bringing up safety issues  to many times at the union meetings (he was just watching out for his crew)

Bastards!  Angry

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 10:38pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:08pm »

Holy shit that's a drill bit!!!

Also, our city official who's name is on the terminal now was investigated for favoritism in lucrative contracts to individuals, along with others who tried to hide giving contracts to people in some way connected to them.  Money just disappears on big projects.

Quote:
After giving speeches at the February lunch, Gov. John Engler and Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara met in a V.I.P. lounge to strike an astounding deal. In a glass-walled conference room overlooking the crowd, McNamara proposed that the county surrender some control of Metro Airport if the state dropped its investigation of the airport.  

A two-year investigation had found questionable dealings in the way McNamara managed the airport and awarded contracts. He was afraid it would eventually lead to the state taking over the county-run airport.  

Another example of his mixed record is his handling of county finances.  

He began the job in 1987 by staving off financial disaster, but he leaves his successor with deficits and looming layoffs. Contributing to the financial crisis is the burden of appointees who serve in well-paying jobs.  

http://detnews.com/2002/specialreport/0212/16/c07-36571.htm

And we named the $1.2 billion terminal after him, too.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:25pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:13pm »

Only here.   Only here could planes in the sky at one time over the U.S, be turned into drill bits.

oh holy.....   Attention Deficit Disorder!!!!!    Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 12:46pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 11:13pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Only here.   Only here could planes in the sky at one time over the U.S, be turned into drill bits.

oh holy.....   Attention Deficit Disorder!!!!!    Roll Eyes

What do you expect from a bunch of brain damaged individuals?
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:46am »

If the view of all the aircraft over the US caught your attention, you may be interested what it looks like as these aircraft depart and approach a few of the larger airports here in the US…  As a military pilot for many years, I’ve flown all over the US and through many of the terminal control areas surrounding some of the largest airports.  When it’s clear, you can see airliners all over the sky above you, below you and all around…  When you’re in the clouds on instruments, they’re still there…  You just can’t see them…  At that point, you are totally in the hands of FAA flight controllers who’s job it is to maintain safe separation between you and all the other aircraft he or she controls…  I took the following screen shots between 7:10 and 7:30 PM EDT tonight.  That’s about an hour after peak loading here on the East Coast.

The first screen shot below is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).  LAX averages 100 departures and arrivals an hour between 10:00 AM and 10:00 PM 7 days a week

The second screen below shot is Chicago’s O'Hare International Airport (ORD). O'Hare averages around 150 departures and arrivals during peak traffic hours…  

The third screen shot is Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL).  This is the busiest airport in the nation and it averages 180 departures and arrivals an hour during peak loads and an average of 150 departures and arrivals an hour from 9:00 AM to Midnight.

The forth screen shot below is Reagan National (DCA). Reagan National is a fairly busy airport.  If you combine flights departing and arriving both Reagan and Dulles and you get around 140 departures and arrivals an hour during peak loads.

The last screen shot below is John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK). Kennedy is also a busy airport.  If you combine flights departing and arriving Kennedy and LaGuardia Airport (LGA) you get around 110 departures and arrivals an hour during peak loads.

Oh yes…  FedEx, DHL, and the rest of the airborne package carriers do most of their flying between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM.

The following slide provides some interesting factoids regarding the National Airspace System that FAA flight controllers use to provide safe separation for all aircraft flying through the sectors they control…

The age of the NAS systems shown in the slide above are a bit dated…  Circa 1996…  However, I’ve checked the latest GAO, CBO, and FAA reports and all that’s changed as of May 2007 is the average age has increased by 10 years and these systems will likely age another 5 to 10 years before they are replaced…  

How many of you have a computer 9 years old, or talk on a cell phone 20 years old, or watch a TV 13 years old?   How about using them to control hundreds of commercial airliners containing tens of thousands of passengers every 8 hours?   That’s a thinker…

The Next Generation Air Transportation System that will replace the aging NAS systems is just so much paper at this point and not likely to start a phased implementation until 2012 with an estimated completing date around 2017…  That’s if Congress provides the needed funding on schedule…

If you fly frequently… and this concerns you…  You may want to ask yourself who you voted for in the last election and what was their voting record on fully funding FAA’s modernization program…    Neither party has stellar record here so you’ll need to do your homework.  While you’re at it…  Check their voting record on replacing all the aging bridges in the national highway system…

Cheers…

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 6:00am »

My hairdryer is 30 years old this Christmas but nothing else in this house has lasted anywhere near as long as those systems.. my PC is wazoo'd and it's only 3 years old, My TV is 4 years old. My cell is defunct after 18 months, My stove did last ten years but I replaced that this year as I wanted a bigger one. Electrical stuff just isn't made to last that long so that is quite sobering news...

But you lot STILL aren't safe because I WILL be back in 2008!! Enjoy the peace while you can!!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #20 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:04am »

Think about the size of an airplane and then put it into perspective the size of our airspace.

I ain't afraid of runnin into another plane.

hellooooooooo

LOL
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #21 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:14am »

There is nothing inherently unsafe about air travel.

It's just that the faster you go, the room for error decreases exponentially. That's why people walk away from fender benders.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Maffumatt

Email

Re: So you wanna fly, huh?OrbitzTLC to me
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 1:41am »

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 12:27 PM (12 hours ago)

Continental Airlines flight 1661 is delayed.  Departure from
Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (PHX) is now estimated at 2:38PM Gate
6A.  Estimated arrival at Houston George Bush Intercntl. (IAH)
is now 6:09PM Gate E23.  Please note this does not change your
original check-in time. Primary traveler name:MATTHEW MATLOCK.
Your Orbitz record locator for this trip is AP130101BM7PV0UR.
See real-time travel conditions and updates from fellow travelers
at OrbitzTLC Traveler Update - on your mobile device at http://mobile.orbitz.com,
and on the web at http://updates.orbitz.com. Don't forget to
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 1:00 PM (11 hours ago)

Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (PHX) is now estimated at 3:05PM Gate
is now 6:37PM Gate C31.  Please note this does not change your
- Show quoted text -
at OrbitzTLC Traveler Update - on your mobile device at http://mobile.orbitz.com,
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 1:50 PM (10 hours ago)

Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (PHX) is now estimated at 3:00PM Gate
is now 6:32PM Gate C31.  Please note this does not change your
- Show quoted text -
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 2:32 PM (10 hours ago)

Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (PHX) is now estimated at 2:53PM Gate
is now 6:22PM Gate C31.  Please note this does not change your
- Show quoted text -
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 2:57 PM (9 hours ago)

Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (PHX) is now estimated at 2:48PM Gate
is now 6:17PM Gate C31.  Please note this does not change your
- Show quoted text -
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 3:50 PM (8 hours ago)

Continental Airlines flight 2376 departs Houston George Bush
Intercntl. (IAH) on-time at 6:50PM Gate B62 and arrives Wichita
Mid-Continent (ICT) at 8:38PM. Primary traveler name:MATTHEW
- Show quoted text -
MATLOCK. Your Orbitz record locator for this trip is AP130101BM7PV0UR.
submit your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 5:45 PM (6 hours ago)

Continental Airlines flight 2376 is delayed.  Departure from
Houston George Bush Intercntl. (IAH) is now estimated at 7:20PM
Gate B62.  Estimated arrival at Wichita Mid-Continent (ICT) is
now 8:57PM.  Please note this does not change your original check-in
time. Primary traveler name:MATTHEW MATLOCK. Your Orbitz record
- Show quoted text -
locator for this trip is AP130101BM7PV0UR. See real-time travel
conditions and updates from fellow travelers at OrbitzTLC Traveler
Update - on your mobile device at http://mobile.orbitz.com, and
on the web at http://updates.orbitz.com. Don't forget to submit
your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 6:08 PM (6 hours ago)

Houston George Bush Intercntl. (IAH) is now 7:00PM.  Gate is
now B79.  Estimated arrival at Wichita Mid-Continent (ICT) is
now 8:37PM.  Please note this does not change your original check-in
- Show quoted text -
time. Primary traveler name:MATTHEW MATLOCK. Your Orbitz record
locator for this trip is AP130101BM7PV0UR. See real-time travel
conditions and updates from fellow travelers at OrbitzTLC Traveler
Update - on your mobile device at http://mobile.orbitz.com, and
on the web at http://updates.orbitz.com. Don't forget to submit
your own update!

Forward

OrbitzTLC to me

show details 7:19 PM (5 hours ago)

Houston George Bush Intercntl. (IAH) is now estimated at 7:20PM
Gate B79.  Estimated arrival at Wichita Mid-Continent (ICT) is
now 8:57PM.  Please note this does not change your original check-in
- Show quoted text -

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss