Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to the World of CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to the World of CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to the World of CH  (Read 260 times)
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

New to the World of CH
« on: Jan 14th, 2006, 3:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you to everyone for the information generously contributed to this board - I have been going through hell over the last few weeks as I believe that I am in the midst of my first CH cycle, and this site has been a tremendous help.

I have gone through about three weeks of unbearable headaches which were diagnosed by both my family doctor and the ER doc as CH. I have almost constant pain on the left side of my head, right behind my left eye. During attacks the sensation is like an icepick jammed in behind my left eye socket. Attacks happen sometimes in the late afternoon and lately have been waking me up out of my sleep. The last two nights I have woken up twice each night, the first time around 1:00 am and the second time at 4:00 am.. Tonight I had an attack at 7:00 pm and I am dreading going to sleep. I've had virtually no sleep in the last week and the weeks of pain are really beginning to take their toll.  

I'm a consultant and professional speaker who is self-employed, so I am really worried about Monday, when my business kicks off 2 months of my busiest time of year. Like many of you I am incapacitated during an attack, so I have no idea what I'll do if some of these afternoon attacks continue.  

I have had a CT scan done (nothing abnormal), vision tests, glaucoma tests - nothing. The emergency room doc was convinced that it was cluster headaches that I was suffering from. He suggested Imitrex, which has helped during brutal attacks. I also have a prescription for oxygen, which I used yesterday for the first time. It worked great, and I'm excited about it, although I've had strong stomach pain all day (related to oxygen? I have no idea).  

I guess I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the board - it looks like I might be around for a while! To all those suffering, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - no one should have to go through this. And for those supporters of those with CH - God bless you. I have scared my poor wife (and dog!) to death more than once and I just wish I could put her mind at ease that everything will be okay. She's amazing.

Cheers everyone, and sleep well.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: New to the World of CH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 4:21am »

Welcome aboard,

Start keeping an accurate headache journal - it will help you understand your cycles, communicate with doctors and experiment with treatment options.

The follwing links should help.  There is a wealth of useful information on the site and good support when you need it.  

Be ready to do some research because you will likely find yourself working to obtain relief from this fickle disease.  

CH/treatment Information

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/9362-6.asp  

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050215/717.html

Medication/dosage Information

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html  

http://www.drugs.com/

Best wishes on your journey

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 7:47am »

One more doc for you to read:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Also, watch  your diet. If you drink, quit while in cycle. Coffee will be your new best friend. I drink it constantly at work while in cycle to keep the beast away.

Your stomach pain should not be related to O2. I've never had it, at least, and I abort with O2.

Melatonin will help you get a good night's sleep. 9 mg 30 mins before bedtime did the trick for me in my last cycle, though it took a few days to build up.

PF wishes.
IP Logged
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 2:46pm »

Thanks for both of your very helpful posts. This board is an amazing resource.

I have cut all alcohol out my routine since the headaches began. As for coffee, I'm really not a coffee drinker, but I think I can find something that will act in  its place - there's no shortage of caffeinated beverages out there!

Today I was out for about an hour doing a few errands and I am absolutely exhausted. I had 2 more bad attacks last night and felt one coming on this morning but it never fully developed - it got to about a 6 out of 10 and didn't last long. HAs seem to be increasing in frequency, which is certainly no fun.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and support.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 10:17pm »

Mt. Dew works for me. Have you been to a neurolgist? One with CH knowedge. Need a proper diagnosis.
Take the quiz on the left. Make sure you carry the O2 and Imitrex. Injectable would fit your situation as it usually works quickly. You can keep your schedule with a plan and meds. Read and study the beast, it will be your best weapon.
All the best.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss