Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie  (Read 346 times)
RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« on: Jan 19th, 2006, 3:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm not exactly new but because I'm such a neophyte on this computer, I have a hard time putting in the things that I want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I turned 75 almost a year ago, I declared myself to be an "Old man". I thought I was over these Cluster headaches because I'd been without one for over 2 years. Just before thanksgiving of 2005, they came back.

I started having these headaches in 1985 when I was 55. I was working at a fast paced job that involved a lot of stress. I loved the job but it was stressful. At the same time I was drinking tons of strong coffee. I don't know if these two factors had anything to do with triggering the headaches but it seems, in retrospect, that there is a connection. For the 1st 10 years I had two periods per year, each lasting about 3 months, and starting in the fall & spring. After 10 years, the cycles gradually faded to once a year until July of 2003, which was the last time I had one until early November of 2005. I'm not sure what triggered this one (which I still have), but I did go thru a stressful week. (Have you ever caught someone dumping on your land)? God, I got so mad I couldn't see straight.

Over the years, it seems that every time I have had a headache, I've had a new theory of their cause, only to eventually prove myself wrong. It's incredible that with so many of us having this affliction, that their cause is still a mystery!!!!

It took about 4 years for my headaches to be diagnosed as "Clusters". The first doctor who diagnosed them told me to go home and buy some aspirin. When I finally got to a Neurologist, and had some medicine prescribed, my regular doctor indicated that the side effects were too drastic, so I've never had any medicine other than OTC stuff.

I must confess that my headaches, though bad, are not as severe as I see described on this and other sites. But they hurt. Yes they do!!!!!!!!!!

My headaches usually appear after I've fallen asleep for a short time in a chair. Lately, I've also had a headache or 2 one hour after falling asleep in bed, and then again, 2 hours later. My headaches usually last for 30 minutes if I'm home and can isolate myself in a dark, quiet room. Is this characteristic?????

In past years, I had some "beauts". Especially after drinking or smoking or having been under stress.

I do not envy those of you who have to work for a living.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:22pm »

G'day, and welcome to the asylum.  CH at your age is nothing short of cruel so my heart goes out to you.  You comment that you're happiest in a dark, quiet room during an attack which is most unusual for a CHead but we're all different and if it works for you that's beaut.

Have you tried the Cluster Quiz yet?  There's a list of buttons over on the left as you look at your screen.  Just click on the fourth one down.  It's been known to help a lot of people immensely.

All the best, stay strong, and stay in touch.

Brian down under.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 7:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sir I am glad to see you arrive upon our doorstep, I am sure your years of experiance with CH will be benificial to all of us here. I went 6 or 7 years before i was diagnosed, and then I found a Dr who knew his stuff. I encourage you to look into getting oxegen. It is about the best relief there is for most of the people that try it, especialy at highflow rates of 12 to 15 liters per min. It will knock them out for me in 10 min, although at times I need to stay on it longer to keep it from returning. Different people have different thresholds of pain, and react to it differently. I like a quiet dark place myself, its just that much less stuff around me  to deal with. Please check out the OUCH website, there is a yellow link on the menu to your left.  
Matt
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 8:31pm »

Mr R,
 Age is just a number. I have had a neurologist tell me that these go away with age. I thought he was full of crap in that regard. Still do. I am still young 46. Somebody dumping on my land.  bigguns AngryI am surprised you didn't blow a gasket. I would. Stress, big trigger. Funny the first neuro I went to years ago told me to take an aspirin and drink a coke. Qwack. It does work on the shadow though. Keep up with the theory's and I will as well. It is good brain fodder. Welcome  
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 9:03pm »

To Aussie Brian,

I took the quiz & the only question that doesn't fit my profile is #4. If I'm using the wrong relief, what's the best alternative?

By the way, I had occasion to spend one my R & Rs in Sidney in April 1970. What a beautiful city & country you have. I'm sorry I didn't get to the "Outback" but while on R & R from Vietnam, the Hilton and the good food (& a little refreshment), was what I needed. Thanks for the encouragement.

RED
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 10:49am »

on Jan 19th, 2006, 3:39pm, RDubois wrote:
My headaches usually last for 30 minutes if I'm home and can isolate myself in a dark, quiet room. Is this characteristic?????

Welcome! When I get hit, I go to the guest bedroom, leave th elights off, and suck on my oxygen. That room is dark and quiet, so yes, it is characteristic at least for me.

IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 8:54pm »

on Jan 20th, 2006, 10:49am, marlinsfan wrote:

Welcome! When I get hit, I go to the guest bedroom, leave th elights off, and suck on my oxygen. That room is dark and quiet, so yes, it is characteristic at least for me.

Yep thats the same for me as well, I prefer to be out of site and alone when getting hit.
Going to a dark quiet room allows me to thrash around and not put fear into my family, they don't deserve to have to carry that weight, they will help me out when I emerge.

PFDs
Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 4:59am »

Hi and welcome to the site.

I like a quiet spot too. Mine usually hit at night ,2am usually for 20 to 40 minutes, and I walk around the corridoor and other rooms for a bit before crouching down in the lounge room and rocking and headbanging the floor. I never turn the lights on and try not to wake my wife. She has tried to help in past, but it doesn't do much good, so I just let her sleep and tell her about it in the morning. My kids have only seen me have one acouple of times and they are kept away by wife.  

The pain of a cluster headache does not let you lie still or relax. You have to keep moving or at least I do.  

And yes alcohol can trigger some beauts. That why I try to catch up on drinking when not in cylcle. Wink

Paul
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:30am »

G'day again, RD, and like yourself I've long lost track of my theories.  All I meant was, if something works for you that's bloody beaut. I've given up looking and now just ride 'em out but that's certainly not a reccommendation.

Glad you enjoyed Syderney but it's very different now.  Doubt I'd recognise the place myself.  

Cheers and beers,

Brian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:17pm »

Wink RD,
I have been surfin Dr. Goadsbys website and found a statement indicating the oldest clusterhead was 73. You get the new prize of being the most for the longest. Shocked
Hope your doing better.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:17pm »

Mr D,
What you describe here are classic cluster symptoms and match mine almost to a T:
Quote:
My headaches usually appear after I've fallen asleep for a short time in a chair. Lately, I've also had a headache or 2 one hour after falling asleep in bed, and then again, 2 hours later. My headaches usually last for 30 minutes if I'm home and can isolate myself in a dark, quiet room. Is this characteristic?????

I too find that being in a quiet place is soothing, any sound or noise just adds to the distraction and pain, not characteristic of clusters, but to each their own.  I agree with the statement of many treatments/meds having drastic side effects, the way I look at it is I can deal with a couple cycles a year without many of the preventative meds, I get by with oxygen and the shot of imitrex as needed, but I use that sparingly.  Anyway, welcome to the board and we are proud to have you as our senior member.  Best of luck to you.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 3:28am »

Welcome! Smiley

I'm sorry that you have ch... but I am glad that you've found your way here.

CH has been part of my life since 2001. When I get hit, I try to find a place where others won't see me... part of me wants to protect others from witnessing me getting hit and the other part just wants to be alone. So I understand as well that part you wrote about dark, quiet room.

Best wishes & PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Mike_in_CA
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 6:51pm »

I have suffered with CH for over 20 years now, and in my attacks I lie as quiet and isolated as possible. When I was younger I too went for the head-banging ( I actually put my head through a panelled wall one time), but I now try to isolate my family as much as possible during my episodes. Our house is pretty small and I don't want to disturb anyone.

I do wonder though...it seems like we all seem embarassed with our affliction. Are we trying to protect our families, or are we secretly ashamed?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss