Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 5:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « yeppie   i am not alone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   yeppie   i am not alone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: yeppie   i am not alone  (Read 337 times)
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

yeppie   i am not alone
« on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi
im a 26 y/o female, and i have suffered (cant stress suffered enough) with headaches for 6 years.  ive gone through 2  gp's to find what i consider the first step in help.  my first gp didnt listen to me and wouldnt give me a referral to a neuro all he would give me was midrin.  all the while im freaking out friends and co workers and lost boyfriends because they got tired of running me to the er in the middle of a date.
so i left that doctor   and the funy part about it, is that he didnt want to give me my records to take to the next gp.  
now for all my fellow suffers you may think that what i am going to say is ludicrous.
but at my first appt with the new gp i had an attack..  and thank god i did.  he tried o2 and it helped, i almost cried  (actually i did!)
got the refferal to the neuro but the attacks didnt stop.  they come march-june 2-3 a day.  the more i read about headaches the more i was convinced that i had clusters.  but whenever i brought it up the the nero he would say that i didnt fall in to the bracket.  i may not have but my head did.  i stayed with this guy for 3 years
(it took me 2 to get him)
until i ran across a pharmasist and we had a long talk, and he said point blank GET A SECOND OPINION.
ive been with the new neuro for about 6 months and he has put me on verapamil.  ive only been on it for a week
but im looking forward to see if it works.

i know this has been long but im glad to have found this site. and to know that there are other people out there like me, and that it isnt just in my head!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: yeppie   i am not alone
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:55am »

Welcome home.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:16am »

Hi Tessa!

Welcome to clusterville! Wink  Sorry you have to be here, but glad you've found us since you do!  I'm very sorry to hear of all you went through in your quest for diagnosis...  resembles a lot of other people's stories when they were suffering but didn't have a diagnosis or a good doc to help them.  I'm VERY glad you got to the new neuro and are on the right track, though!  Read lots around here, and you'll learn a TON.  The links to the left are a great place to start.

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:50am »

What an ordeal to go through but yes a lot of CHers here had to endure the same.  I'm just glad you've got a neuro now that knows about ch and that can help you.

This board is full of info but the best thing is you know you're not alone anymore and we are here to support each other.

Welcome Tessa and let us know how the Verapamil is doing.  What dosage are you on?
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:45pm »

im taking 240 for the first week.  then after that 1 twice a day.  im almost up on the week.

this is a question to anyone who has used verapamil.

did it make you feel jumpy, or tired throughout the day?

how much of an improvement did it make?

i used to take topamax, but both me and the old neuro came to the conclusion that we werent sure if it helped because by the time that it would have kicked in me episode was over?

and 2 on the o2

when my doctor got it for me, i was able to get the concentrator for home and a tank to keep in the car.  the insurance that i had at the time paid for it.  but now i have blue choice.  will blue choice pay for it?  (i still have the tank and concentrator  at home).  i was just going to the medical store and paying $25 to refill the tank once i lost that insurance.

now about the mask

i never had a face mask i was just using the tubes in the nose.  was i losing precious oxygen?   because sometimes it would work and then it wouldnt.  when it didnt help i just put the tubes in my mouth and inhaled that way.  

<<<<<<<< AUSSIEBRIAN>>>>>>>>>>

thanks i do feel home.  when i have talked to others who didnt understand,  even my mom i felt like they didnt understand or thought   < whatever>  or like they might have thought that something was wrong with me.

<<<<<<<<LIZZIE2 & JASMYN>>>>>>>>>>>>

i had never done a lot of research on ch.  i had read about it and though to myself over and over again that sounds like me, only im not a man.
but when i found this site i was at work and nearly cried.
i realized my story was in bits and pieces your story.  
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:51pm »

Get a non rebreather mask or you can make one i will try to find pic of one someone made it works great

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:59pm »

Found it with directions thanks to Mr. Happy  

on Jan 4th, 2006, 12:08am, Mr. Happy wrote:
Well OK then......that's a valid excuse. Here's my emergency util.

Grab some electrical tape. Get a one or two gallon zip lock baggie.  Cut the corner off of the bag, opposite the zip seal. Small.....just big enough to let the O2 tube fit thru.  Insert O2 tube. Tape it solidly in place. Grap a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels. Stick it 1/2 way into one side of the unzipped bag, and ZIP it shut as tight as possible against the tube. (A dab of super glue on the ZIP doesn't hurt where it meets the tube, but you know me and glue...)
Tape the bag securely around the tube. Open O2 tank/regulator, and let bag fill with hand over tube. Put tube in mouth. Inhale thru mouth only, exhale thru nose. Repeat.  
Don't drool on the tube, stupid. Decreases longevity.
Passing along state secrets, y'know.

One day, I'll call you and remind you of a favor......
RJ

PS: Forgot pix:  

A poor man's Cmasx. REAL poor.

IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
ABarham
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

weezerbarham  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:36pm »

Tessa - Welcome.  I am the mother of a ch victim.  When he suffers, I suffer.  I want so much to take away his pain, to make it "all better"  but a kiss just doesn't work anymore.  We are new here too, but I can tell you in the few short days a wealth of information, help and care has been found here.  It's a ch family and we all care about each other.  Even when those close to you can't understand, just remember you have us.

Louise
IP Logged

Louise
Mother of CH son
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:47pm »

Welcome to the board. Your story mimics a lot of people on the board here. Amazing how much ignorance there is about this condition. Your doctor was right on one hand, it is all in your head! I'll second and third the vote on getting oxygen. After 26 years and a godzillion diferent meds, oxygen is still my first line of defense. Good luck and welcome again to your new family.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:08pm »

Quote:
now for all my fellow suffers you may think that what i am going to say is ludicrous.  
but at my first appt with the new gp i had an attack..  and thank god i did.  he tried o2 and it helped, i almost cried  (actually i did!)  

Not ludicrous at all Tessa.

My Dr. has always been good at allowing ME to talk and get impatient with me but one day I went to see him re: another matter and as I was waiting for him to come into the room I started to get hit...I was scratching  the wallpaper off his walls by the time he got there and he just stood at the door, arms folded across his chest and watched me for a while.   He then had his nurse get me a shot of Trex but I was so embarrassed I could die.

After that however he has NEVER  questioned me when I've  asked him to try something new or talked to him about my HA's.   He told me "  Linda you know more about these headaches than I do.  Anything you want I will go along with."    

Dr. in the U.S. get only 5 hours of education in Med. school on headaches.   ALL KINDS OF HEADACHES.  Only 5 hours.  So yes, we do know more than they,  and it was a great thing you got hit in front of him.

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:46pm »

Hi Tessa, yep you're not alone. Unfortunately for us, there are many of us dancing with the beast.

Look carefully at the sentence below the picture in this thread. It has a link to clustermasx, which is an excellent non-rebreather mask.  

"A poor man's Cmasx. REAL poor." The link is in the CMASX word in the other post.

You need to use a non-rebreather to get the best results, as the nose cannula or whatever they're called don't give you 100% O2 delivery.

IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:35pm »

Hi Tessa, and welcome home.
I myself went thru what you did as well. I am 42, and didnt find a doc until 5 years ago that understood headaches at all.  
Point being, we understand your frustration all too well.  
There is tons of info here, and it will take a while to abosrb it all. You might just find that special item that will make life bearable once again. Ask questions.

and one last thing, we want you to know that you will never be alone again, as you have found your family.  

Lance
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:34pm »

Verapamil is one I've been on.  At first, it was like a miracle.  All the triggers were neutralized.  As the cycle progressed, however, it stopped working, and by the end of the cycle, it didn't work at all.

I thought it made things worse, but since that time I have found that nothing actually makes the cycle worse-it just is worse at the end.

I've been married for 30 years this year and my husband can't sleep without me so he always wakes up when I hop out of bed several times a night.  He is just now reading about ch now that I found this site.

Does anyone else run back and forth 10 times in a 6 foot space with their attacks hit?
IP Logged
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:33pm »

thanx ghost....im running out to the dollar store tonight.

i live in south carolina and ive looked all around for a headache clinic and cant find one.  im going to give this new neuro a chance.  ive got to keep the faith.

here is another question

i get the ch in the left eye.  now my cycle is usually march-june.  but last year the little !#%&   tricked me.  it hit  mid june-early aug.

now even when im not in a cycle or am not having headache lets say    nov-march  4 out of 7 days a week my left eye feels alot of pressure behind it or it gets a little droppy when the pain is a little harder.  i do get light and sound sensitivity then.  but i can function.  

i went to an opthamologist to check out my eyes because nothing can make me believe that all this pain will not cause some kind of damage to them.   she said that my nerves looked good and that the pressure was normal.    i ordered tinted glasses anyway just so i could wear them at work when the lights kick in.  they cant say anything about dr ordered glasses right>  
 (smile)

i told this to the new neuro (you know the eye pain)  he said that i may be having small clusters.  and to take  an imitrex.   my gp  feels that they may become chronic.

does anyone else have this problem?  

and if you are chronic did they start this way?

my neuro told me to take an imitrex for the eye pain.  i get 100mg  so i started to split them and take a pain pill.

is there anyone else that does this.

i get all 3 forms of the imitrex and i have a special use for each one.  i start to stockpill in nov.  because my insurance will only allow me so many a month of each.  9 pills, 6 nasal sprays, and 4 injections.  even with a letter of medical nessacity  the increase in quanity only last for 3 months.

IP Logged

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:50pm »

Hi Tessa and Welcome

I started much lower on Verapamil and got my first PF day when I hit 240 mg (had 3 that night . . . but it was a great day) . . . got as high as 360 mg.  Many here take much more and in combination with other meds.  Though not everyone does, you may experience some constipation (I did) which can be helped with diet  or, if necessary stool softeners.  You may also be getting the Verapamil "buzz" which for me usually disipated within 30-45 min.

02 is my only abortive . . . can't take Imitrex (arterie blockage & high cholesterol) so 02 is my only abortive . . . .WONDERFUL! I can kill the beast in minutes if used early-on in the attack.   What flow rate are you using?  You need at least a 15 lpm regulator and the non-rebreather mask to be really effective.  DO NOT USE THE STRAP ON THE MASK!

Make sure and read the "water X 3" link to the left . . .  I'm convinced it has made a difference for me.

You have much reading to do and many questions to ask.  

You've also found the  motherlode of CH information from people who truly understand your pain.  Welcome to the family.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss