Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 7:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 283 times)
Malapai
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hello
« on: Feb 27th, 2006, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been to this site off and on for a few years, but never signed up for the message board.  It is a great site for CH sufferrers as well as people who know someone who suffers from CHs.

I am 38 (female) and have had episodic clusters (right side) for 18 years and have yet to find a preventative medication that helps prevent or provide any relief from them when I am in a cycle.  About two years ago I did try Zomig ZMT for an abortive and have had about 85% success with it.  When a cycle comes now the headaches are more frequent than in the past and I don't like to take as many Zomig that are necessary to abort the headache.  

I have tried Verapamil, Topamax, and Depakote.  I recently started a cycle (about a week ago) and I was put on Verapamil by a neuro on call.  My neuro now wants me to try Lithium 300 mg twice a day.  I seem to be sensitive to medications and am hesitant to try this one.  Has there been much success with the Lithium for the episodice cluster?  The small amount I have been able to read today on the internet seems to aim the Lithium more toward the chronic CHs.

If this question is answered elsewhere on the message board...please point me in that direction.  I visited the medication section, but did not find it in my first perusal.  I will keep reading around the site.

It is a very depressing day when you wake up to a CH when you thought maybe they were gone forever.
IP Logged
pfunk

Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 12:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I tink verapamil is a good suggestion if the docs have you on the right doseage.  My doc started me on it last about 10 days ago and the frequency of hit has decreased from 6-7 hits/day to 2-3.  He only has me taking 360mg/day but is going up this week since even the small doseage seems to have atrted to work fairly quickly.  Had to get off topamax as well b/c it gave me kidney stones but I believe verap. is my new savior med since I have actually been HA free since late Thurs night/early Fri morning.
Keep your eyes and ears open around here because everyone's case is differebt and there are alot of us more than willing to give you any suggestions ad/or help that you may be looking for.  If you are looking for another abortive, look into o2 and even read up on some of the alternative/vitamins that people use such as kudzu and even melatonin.  Hope relief finds you or better yet, you find it first.

Pfunk Wink Cool
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 8:22am »

on Feb 27th, 2006, 10:43pm, Malapai wrote:

I am 38 (female) and have had episodic clusters (right side) for 18 years and have yet to find a preventative medication that helps prevent or provide any relief from them when I am in a cycle.  How long/frequently are you in cycle?  Are your cycles predictable?  Did you track any of your treatments in a journal?

I have tried Verapamil, Topamax, and Depakote.  I recently started a cycle (about a week ago) and I was put on Verapamil by a neuro on call.  Building sufficient blood serum levels are important for many preventatives to be most effective.  Did you begin taking Verapamil or any of these other meds. prior to starting a cycle or after it began?  How long did you try them?  Did you work with your doc. to try varied doses, med. combinations and schedules for taking them?

My neuro now wants me to try Lithium 300 mg twice a day.  I seem to be sensitive to medications and am hesitant to try this one.  Has there been much success with the Lithium for the episodice cluster?  The small amount I have been able to read today on the internet seems to aim the Lithium more toward the chronic CHs.

Believe it or not Lithium is fairly common and one of the safer/earlier drugs prescribed to treat CH (relatively speaking).  Liver function tests and maintaining sodium levels are important to ensure that your body is handling the prescribed dosages well.  Lithium is often combined with Verapamil but again maintaining blood serum levels is imprortant for it to be most effective.

It is a very depressing day when you wake up to a CH when you thought maybe they were gone forever.  
I think a lot of folks here are with you on this one.

I've highlighed a few questions that may help others understand your situation better and provide more feedback.

It is really difficult to give medication suggestions - particularly when dealing with CH.  Everyone seems to respond differently to the wide array of medications prescribed to treat this disease.

Keeping a good headache journal will help you to track and understand your condition, maintain records of  treatments you've tried, identify what was successful and give you records that help you experiment with meds./dosages and medication schedules.  This will also help your communicate and work with your docs. more effectively.  If you don't keep one it's probably a good idea to start.  

In all cases your docs./pharmacist should be your key sources of information/treatment with many of these potentially dangerous drugs.

Post some answers to my questions and see what feedback others can provide.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of stuff to talk over with your doc. during your next visit.  With some work you will hopefully find something that works.  

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:12am »

Welcome to the board Mal!

Sorry to hear you too are a sufferer. This next comment is meant to make life easier not to discourage you..

CH is forever. Some people are lucky enough to get breaks, (I do not as a chronic) but it always comes back. The best thing is to always be prepared.  

(sorry for the bad news)

Dragn
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:34am »

Hey Mal,

Welcome to the community.

I can’t speak to the meds but would like to encourage you to stay with us here on the site. As another sufferer who fought valiantly for years only to reach a level of despair over the relentlessness of the cluster headache phenomena, I can tell you that the time spent learning and empowering myself with the information found here has changed my life.

Your mention of the depression associated with thinking of Cluster Headache as “forever” is common. This family has given me the tools to prepare for the fight, kind of like a corner manager in a boxing match. We all get hit, some far more than others. But, many here can help you prepare emotionally for the fight and others can give you feedback on the meds so that you have the right equipment for the fight.  

My repetitive use of the word “fight” is intended. It is a fight. And like a fighter you need to take care of yourself in every way. Physically and emotionally. Then you can face the cycles and hits in the right frame of mind to hope fully reach a point where you are able to begin to build a trench between where you let cluster headache affect your “being” emotionally and that of a fighter.

So fight on! And hang out here and learn.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 10:30am »

on Feb 27th, 2006, 10:43pm, Malapai wrote:

My neuro now wants me to try Lithium 300 mg twice a day.  I seem to be sensitive to medications and am hesitant to try this one.  Has there been much success with the Lithium for the episodice cluster?  The small amount I have been able to read today on the internet seems to aim the Lithium more toward the chronic CHs. Some here have had great success with Lithium
It is a very depressing day when you wake up to a CH when you thought maybe they were gone forever.  From what I've read here, I would never assume they are gone for ever.

This site is great, and the best part may be the message board and the ability tointeract with other sufferers.  Non one you know can relate to your condition like the folk here.  There is always someone here to ask a question of, share with, or just be there for you in your darkest hours.  So, don't be a stranger.

The lights are always on.

Rich

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 10:30pm »

Welcome and sorry your hurtin. Aah the lithium cocktails.
Another weapon to beat the beast. Sometimes mixed with prednisone. Sometimes backed up with... and on and on . Hope you find something that works for you.
jb
O2, keep to the least poisonest prevent.
all the best to ya
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss