Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New poster but old CH'r »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New poster but old CH'r
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New poster but old CH'r  (Read 333 times)
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New poster but old CH'r
« on: Mar 13th, 2006, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi my name is Don. I've been a CH'r for soon to be 18 years. Was chronic for 14 mnths. then episodic since. I have all the standard symptoms plus a few atypical, such as intense sweating at the beginning of an attack and vomiting during the cycle peak. I take Verap, Lithium  and Trazadone as regular meds. Oxygen is very helpful and I take Prednisone during the worst times. I think prednisone is one dangerous drug. I also use Stadol NS to help get through the untouchables. I was a pilot for 8 years before CH came along. After 9 mnths of too many Dr. guess's I was diagnosed in 1989. I now have CH aprroximately every 2 yrs for 4 to 5 mnths. Just finished a bout around Christmas. Made my 1st ER visit ever on 6/4/05. What a joke that was, 13 hrs to get a shot of DHE. Wrong hospital my Neuro says. For now I've said enough. PF days to you all,   Don
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: New poster but old CH'r
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 5:03pm »

Welcome to the gang! I too do the heavy sweat thing. I get nauseous sometimes but haven't hurled yet. I agree with you on prednisone but when you absolutely, positively have to be pain free, it does provide a nice break to recharge the old tolerance batteries.  Well welcome again to the board, hope to see loads of you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:23pm »

Thank you Guiseppi for your kind welcome. I've been a reader on this site, on and off for quite a while. Finally have a home Computer and hope I can help others with whatever I can. And maybe help myself also. There are so many things all of us can say about our problem and all need to be heard and discussed. I really believe the final answer may come from one of us, not Doctors. Since I developed Clusters I have lost a lot of faith in the medical profession although they are very much needed. I have felt like a drug trial monkey, but how else can we find a drug that works? My ER visit was to the Univ of Mich. I volunteered for Cluster research there in 1992 and was only tested for sleep apnea and this was negative. Nothing from them since. I think I've learned more from this site than anything else.

Thanks again for the words,   Don
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Welcome aboard Skyhawk.

Like they say "grab an oar and start rowing" this ship dont float itself.
IP Logged

MJ
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 9:04pm »

Thank you MJ.  
I'll row to Hell & back if may help anyone. Of course we've all been there so we should find it with ease. Does anyone else find that after a cycle it's hard to get back in the saddle of being your normal self? I do. Keeps going through my head ' it's stopped but it will be back' over and over. Like now. Can't seem to get all the way back in the saddle yet. Thanks again.
Skyhawk5 alias, Don
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 9:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey there Skyhawk and welcome aboard.

Got a question for you. Just hypothetical.

Would disclosing CH prevent someone from getting a pilot's license?
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 9:12pm »

Welcome, Don.  You have come to the right place.  But you already know that if you have been reading up here from time to time.  The advantage of using the message board is for the exchange of ideas and finding support.  Glad you're here!  
Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:15pm »

WinkWould disclosing CH prevent someone from getting a pilot's license?  
I cant imagine landing a plane with CH .  

Whats your
vector Victor?. Welcome and good reading and rowing.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:57pm »

Thank you Chewy, Pattik, and Thebbz, you make feel welcome. Chewy and Thebbz, good guestion. I advised a Pilot who contacted me from the Guest Board about this. Ch itself doesn't stop a person from getting a pilot's license. You also must have a medical certificate from a "Flight Surgeon". Problem is with the meds, such as Lithium. I could still be flying if not for the Lithium. Tuff choice. But I agree that I wouldn't want to land a plane while having an attack although I 'probably' could.
Key word is probably. But I still do have the license but not a medical. I just decided it's not a risk I will take. And my Neuro would have let my Flight Surgeon (giver of the Medical Cert.) know pronto. Also the rules change quite often. I know now you could be licensed as a Private pilot but can you imagine any co. wanting you to fly for them? That's what made me decide it best to give it up and resign myself as not to be a pro pilot. Acually I grounded myself before my Neuro. It's hard to give up a life long dream but we gotta do what we gotta do.

You have inspired me to update myself as to new FAA rules so I can be totally up to date. I also worked at 2 of the larger airports in my area for 17 yrs. Willow Run is one of them in the Detroit area. During WWII they built B-24 bombers there. (Been a cargo airport since)  
Hope this answers your question. I'll clarify if needed.
Thank you for being here,  Skyhawk5,    Don
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss