Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 6:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie First Post »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie First Post
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie First Post  (Read 246 times)
circus1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

HE Who Gets Headaches

Newbie First Post
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

Here's my story. I'm a 24 year old graduate student in the greater Philly area. I first started getting CH when I was 18, my freshmen year of college. I tried ignoring them, thinking it was midterm stress but they persisted and I began notice patterns of arrivals.  (It's been great reading everyon'es name for their headaches, I actually began writing a short story for class about a little demonic sprite named Cromwell that caused them) Anyway, went to health services they were confused and quite useless and sent me to the hospital for a Catscan and found nothing. Eventually they went away. Until a year later. Went to my doctor at home and he attributed it to high blood pressure. Gave me some medication and eventually they went away. Year after year they came, did research of my own and did a self diagnosis. (I'm rather stubborn and have a distrust for doctors) I fought and struggled through my cycles, lasting about 6 weeks or so.  

This past year I've met a great girl who is  wonderfully supportive. She made me go find a neurologist my insurance covered. Made an appointment, sure enough Cluster Headaches. Put me on Imitrex (pill 100mg) which would help if I took them as soon as shadows began. I made it through that cycle (last summer>fall.)  

When I recently turned 24, I stopped being covered by my dad's insurance. So I am now independent. I'm staring to feel brief shadows every couple of days or so which makes me nervous considering my lack of insurance. Any home remedies that can help?

Thanks very much for listening. I've been poking around the message board for a few years now and this is my first post. It is a wonderful community and I'm glad to be a part of it. Sorry if my story was such a drag. I like to think I'm a very high-spirited person wich a great sense of humour. I just wanted to say a few words and let everyone know how happy and grateful to say that a community like this exists.
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Newbie First Post
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:47am »

Circus, you're not a drag.....but you do sound like an episodic Clusterhead! You've found the right place to land and now it's time for you to do some things to help yourself.
 Did this Neuro mention 02? Please read over on the left, the topics listed. There is a well of info there for you! It's not that expensive, and works for a large number of Clusterheads..
Most of all, keep popping in, let us know what's working, and perhaps, as you understand the "beast"(aka:Cromwell), you can help another newbie when they land here.

Welcome to the tribe, and please, let us know how things are going. The light is on 24/7.
Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:52am »

welcome aboard, sorry your here but you're at a great place. on home remedies all i can say is try uping your water intake, and melotonin. there are others here much more knowledgeable thaan me. but try it out.  jim
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:57am »

You can also try strong coffee.  The caffeine works to contract/constrict the blood vessels, which is what is in a lot of the expensive meds we use.

Some peole say heat packs to the face helps, but most of us need cold...again to constrict the vessels, a bag of forzen peas(used just for this) with a towel wrapped around it,  helps a bit.  But 15 lpm of pure Oxygen used with a non-rebreather mask, is by far the best, cheapest & safest way to go if you don't have meds.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:05pm »

We're all a drag from time to time - just the nature of this beast.  I wouldn't worry about it, glad to have ya' aboard.  Stick around, learn what you can and hopefully find some relief.

Best wishes,

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:23pm »

You've had good advice from the good people here so far. I'll add that I take melatonin at night. 9 mg 30 minutes before bedtime helps keeps those nighttime attacks somewhat under control. You can buy it at your local supermarket/walgreen's, in the vitamin/supplement section.

Here is a good summary of meds, but without insurance they may be expensive. Oxygen is my preferred abortive medicine:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

PF wishes.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 2:00pm »

Welcome to Clusterville

Sorry you're here, but there's no better place for info/caring/sharing from folks who truly know your pain.

DO copy the info on the link posted above and take to your neuro . . . . and get a script for 02.  Works for 60-70% of us to abort.   I can't take Imitrex (arterie  blockage and high cholesterol), so 02 is my only abortive . . . can kill the beast in minutes if used early-on in the attack.

While most prefer cold, heat worked for me.  If heat is your thing, try a white cotton sock filled with rice . . . heated in the microwave . . . stays hot for quite a while and molds to your face/neck much better than a water bottle (which is what I used to use).

Keep reading . . . keep asking.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 7:09pm »

Hi and welcome,

You might have to do a little searching in the archives, but there's a wealth of info on alternative treatments for severe cluster attacks.  Welder's O2 setups if you can't afford the script .... Kudzu supplements, which have been quite effective for some here.  Also, with your doctor's help, you might qualify for the "Bridges to Access" program offered by the makers of Imitrex injectibles, which provides free or low-cost Trex to cluster sufferers.

Gator holds the link to that particular program, as I forgot to bookmark it.  

Also, Verapamil, which is one of the best preventatives on the market, is fairly low-cost.  You'll see it mentioned in the link provided above.  

Keep us informed.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:19pm »

Welcome to the asylum.  Here is a link to some non-prescription treatments that have been recommended by clusterheads over the years.  Some may sound strange, but whatever works, right?

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/nonmed.htm

Good luck and wishing you pain free days and nights (PFDAN)

IP Logged
circus1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

HE Who Gets Headaches

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:51pm »

Thank you all so very much. It's really quite amazing the support from this community. I've never really been part of the whole on-line chat, bb, or blog thing but I'm really glad I decided to make a post.  

Thanks everyone for your advice and I will definately browse around and take a look and see what suites me. I've used coffee, water, and melatonin in the past, I will take a look into the other things.

Thank you so much for you help. My best to all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss