Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi I'am Scott - One Imitrex Left »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi I'am Scott - One Imitrex Left
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi I'am Scott - One Imitrex Left  (Read 344 times)
scottadavis
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Hi I'am Scott - One Imitrex Left
« on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Scott. I have been dealing with my head for about ten years. It wasn't always cluster episodes. It started as just migrains a few years back. It then develpoed into this exact time everyday attack repeating itself over and over for weeks.  It can come on by weather pressure or seasonal change like spring or fall. All I know is it sucks and no one seems to understand the pain except those who have gone through it.

I am new to seeking support or help. I guess I just need a place to vent like everyone else. We all know the sympathy of our loved ones only goes so far with such a repetitive and  unseen demon.  I try to avoid involving my family because it is all just to much. But, you know when you are in pain there is nothing anyone can do for you. I have learned you can say and do some pretty angry things you don't mean when you are in the middle of the attack!

The last two and a half weeks have been nothing but popping pillls and wishing for the vise on my right side of my head, neck and shoulder to loosen up a bit and give me a break!

Yesterday was by far the worst in this episode. I was driving home from work it started at it's normal time between 4PM and 5PM.  I was trying to focus on getting home before it was too late. Trying to deal with slow drivers and idiots slowing my progress(although it was just me).  At the light two miles from my house I got the sweats, that funny cloud vision and I had to grab a plastic bag off the floor due to I was getting nausiated and didn't think I would make it.  

I get home and rush inside to the medicine cabinet to find my last Imitrex. I struggled with the decision for a couple of minutes and decided against taking it. Big mistake! I should have seen this monster coming. Before long I was curled in a fetal position on the bed wishing for..you know!

I took a couple of regular over the counter pills and put on that new Head-On stick thing. Doesn't do anything but heat up your head like a Ben-Gay or analgesic muscle rub.
I laid in pain for about an hour before I grabbed the trusted hot washcloth for the face which I put it across my nose and eyes and just left it alone.  Breathing through the moist towel helps a little, I don't know why but it does for me.  

I finally passed out for couple hours around 11:30 and woke up with severe pain again at about 2:00 and 4:00. At 4:00Am I decided to take the hot shower. I turned on the water and sat down in the shower letting the water rain down upon my troubled crown! I Praying for a miracle, once again the sit-in-shower hydro therapy worked and I was once again ready for bed.  I fell alseep within about 5  minutes and woke to alarm clock at 6:30AM. I am sitting here looking at my last Imitrex hoping that..today I will not have to use it. Please let it be today that it stops. I dread that 4PM stage, I pray today it will not come!  

I just want to feel normal and rested again.  

I can see how so many give up. It's really quite out of reach in concept to those that have never felt the DEVIL in my head!!

Sorry about the spelling, it's been a rough couple of weeks. I just want one good night sleep with no tention or pain!

Anyhow, thanks and I am glad this group is here. Maybe I can survive
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Hi I'am Scott - One Imitrex Left
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:25pm »

Scott hello and welcome!
I'm sorry you have to be here but I'm glad you've found us. I have a question, are you using the imitrex injections or the pills? The pills don't work for CH, they take too long to get going. The injections will work in 5-10 minutes so if you haven't tried them..do!
How come you're so low on meds? Areyou limited to How much a month you can have?
What other meds have you tried? Lets see if we can't do something to help you  Smiley
Hang in there Scott, you're amongst friends now
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

scottadavis
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:45pm »

Hi and thanks.  I take the pill form of Imitrex and it usually works if I catch it in the fast enough. The problem I have is keeping it down once I have taken it. I can't do the shots because I am one of those who dreads any needles of any kind.  

I work at one of those companies that has really crappy healthcare.  Everything seems to be out of pocket costs and co-pays. There really aren't any good generics that my Insurance will cover. At least I don't think so. I hate the politics of medicine and coverage.

I was prescribed Imitex originally by my Physician and ran out a few days ago. Lucky for me but unlucky for my Step-Father, he gets migraines and also takes Imitrex. He will give me a couple here and there just to get me by.  

Most of the time I try to fight through them by myslef. I find if I can get through the major ones, it might not come again later or tommorrow.  I have done pretty well with the hydro therapy and the hot shower in a dark bathroom has somehow always managed to keep me alive.

It's always that same time, as soon as the sun starts to set around 5:00Pm or so. And it is always on the right side. I have heard of people having the episodes for up to 3 or 4 months. I don't think I could get through that.

I have tried a couple of other prescriptions. I tried one that was a little gel tablet that you place on your tongue and it melts. It worked pretty good but they were really expensive.  

Do you know anything or have you heard about an Imitrex nose inhaler? I was wondering how well that might work.  

I was thinking also about trying the Advil Migrain, but I know it will end up like all the other over the counter stuff collecting dust in my cabinet.  

Thanks again, Scott
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 2:14pm »

hi again Scott,  
The advil will be about as much use as a cloth crash helmet to you!
The nasal sprays will work much faster than the tablets, around twenty minutes so definitely worth a try in preference to the tablets.
If your insurance is tough you might want to look into frovatriptan. It's another triptan like Imitrex but  it has a much longer half life. It can potentially take up to two hours to kick in so you need to take it at a time when you aren't getting hit or due (if your hit's are predictable) You can get up to 26 hours half life from it and you can still take 2 in 24 hours same as any other triptan so it could be worth a try.
Please remember that you must NEVER take two types of triptans' within 24 hours. You WILL need 24 hours between your last dose of imitrex and your first of Frova. That really can't be stressed enough.  
Take a look at the threads regarding Kudzu and other alternatives. You might learn something about alternatives here  http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php and here www.clusterbusters.com too.
Your best weapon is educating yourself about the options you have.
Ask any questions you like, we'll do all we can to help
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 2:56pm »

awesome links LeLimey!!

sorry you're getting whacked scott . . .

question:  does o2 work for you?  Even if you have crappy insurance, you can go for welders oxygen . . .you just need high-flow . . .just a thought . . .

*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
scottadavis
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 3:00pm »

Thank  you very much. I will look into the Frovatriptan. I am going to schedule an appointment with the doctor and see what she can do. I have started to look at the treatments and feedback from everyone here. It is very informative and will help me a great deal.  

Why is it that when you don't have an episode for 6 or 7 months and then you go somewhere where someone you know is having a migraine, you end up getting an episode that day or the next? It seems that just the thought of it can trigger it off.
      Too Wierd

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to reading and learning more
          Scott
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 5:20pm »

Hey, man, sorry your head is giving you fits.
I am the same way, I HATE needles, but when I got this cluster thing, the needle was the least of my concern.  I dont take shots often, but have learned to live with them.  I think shot is just about the fastest delivery system and I generally get small relief in just minutes, and substantial relief in just 10 minutes.  Its a tiny needle, the smallest length and ring gauge I can find.  Its not comfy, but it isnt that bad.

You should check into getting Oxygen, it works for a lot of sufferers and is pretty cheap.
Also, I would advise not taking any pain pills, either OTC or prescription.  If you need to for other pain, try to limit it if you can.

Keep yo chin up, brother.  
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

scottadavis
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 6:40pm »

Hey BMoneeTheMoneeMan and miapet, thanks for the reply.

I am looking into the Oxygen treatment as I write this. I will try all avenues to aquire the oxygen and try it out.  

I have felt for sometime that all I needed was a little Oxygen. Especially when you get the anxieties when you know it's coming and you get that labored breathing thing going on.  

I now try to control my breathing and relax the tension that comes up the neck and shoulders. That works pretty good.

I may even try the injection, though I don't want too.

I try to stay away from all meds and see if I can fight it off myself. That only works for the first week or so.  

It seems if I don't take med's and manage to fight off a kip8 or 9, They don't repeat with as much frequency.  But it hurts like hell!

Lately I have had new symptoms with my attack such as shaking and weaker legs. I hope they end soon. It's just about  time to leave work and this is the time I usually start getting shadows. Nothing yet....so far so good. This time two and half weeks, and it has been quite enough.

Thanks talk to you later, Scott
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 6:50pm »

on Apr 4th, 2006, 6:40pm, scottadavis wrote:
I may even try the injection, though I don't want too.

Imitrex has what they call a stat dose, it looks like a fat pen. you put the end of it against your thigh and push the button on the other end, it gives you the shot and you never even see the needle. practically painless.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

danm
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 1:10pm »

Scott,

Welcome.  Sorry about the pain that has brought you here.  You NEED to get to a neurologist that is familair with headaches, particularly CH.  You should get on some sort of maintenance drug like Verapamil.  Also Imitrex injections are the way to go.  "It's just a little pin prick" and is way better than suffering through the CH beast.  You will be very thankful that you tried it.  Pills don't kick in fast enough for CH.  Also, get that O2 - your life will get better.  Trust the people here.  I have learned more form this site than any neuro.  Good luck.

Dan M.
IP Logged

these things suck!!!!
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 1:26pm »

I guess I'm one of the lucky sufferer's (if that's possible) who responds to the Imitrex pills.  At the beginnig of my cycle the 50 mgs will do the trick - during the high peack of my cycle the 100 mgs work.  They obviously don't work as well as the injection does (which I try to save for the night hits), but combined with O2 - I'm good in about 15 mins.   Grin

Scott - sorry you are dealing with all of this, but glad that you found us.  Read....read and read even more - there is a world of info on this site and with your new ch family.  

Check into the O2 and also call your insurance company directly and ask how many injections/pills you can get a month.  I have my doctor write the script for as many as my insurance pays for and I get it with one copay.  I get 18 Imitrex pills even though they come in packs of 9....make sense   Huh  I also do this with my injections as well - except this time I was able to get the vials - 5 vials for one copay - not too bad I guess for my insurance.

Even though you fear needles - try it one time - if you respond to the pills, you may respond so much quicker to the injection.  Let us know.

Good luck,
Mia
IP Logged
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 3:38pm »

hey scott check your pm's
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 3:54pm »

Hey Scott,
GET O2!
If it works for you, which it does for many, it's like a small miracle.  If convnetional methods do not work, that is, prescription, insurance pays, come back for some commercial tips.  There are ways.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss