Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « sleeping patterns »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   sleeping patterns
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sleeping patterns  (Read 379 times)
kaz101
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sleeping patterns
« on: Apr 7th, 2006, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi my names Karen and I live in Birmingham england, I suffered from ch 15 years ago and they have returned this year, im a staff nurse on a adolescent unit for kids with mental illness and have just started a month of nights, but my ch have come with a vengence does anyone know if sleep patterns can affect them ? xx
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: sleeping patterns
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 4:13pm »

Hang tight, I will find Carrie (Lizzie2) and she may be able to help you. she is a nurse that works with babies on the night shift.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 5:29pm »

I'm a 46 year old episodic. When I'm off cycle shift work doesn't bother me. When I'm on cycle, switching from days to graveyards revs the beast up big time.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 7:13pm »

I still want to know who put the 'f' in shift work.

Hated it with a vengeance and, like Guiseppi, found the switching to be the biggest problem.  Fortunately I had a lot to do with writing the rosters so could put myself on straight graveyards or straight days or whatever.  That helped a lot.

I also took all precautions to avoid armed duties.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 7:40pm »

I've worked rotating shifts for 35+ years. Change shifts every week.

Do sleep patterens affect cluster attacks? Yes.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2006, 7:41pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 8:41pm »

Definitely they do.  I actually just switched out of doing night shift.  I was rotating day/night.  I have had a lot of new medical problems come up in the last couple of months, however, and I have to go to appointments, tests, and treatments several times a week.  So for now, I'm working day/evening for medical reasons.  This is only the 2nd week since I switched off of rotating, however, and I still don't feel quite settled!

I agree with the rest above that switching was the worst of all.  Switching from night to day hurt me far worse than switching from day to night.  I also sometimes had a real problem with sleeping during the day.

Melatonin is a hormone that can really help CH'ers big time, but melatonin is not produced by the body in daylight.  So for those of us who crash during daylight hours, we miss out on reaping the benefits of melatonin for our cluster attacks.  You may try taking synthetic melatonin (most people take it in 3mg increments....somewhere from 3-12 mg should be the right dose, but I've heard some docs say you can go up to 21mg.)  I take ativan and that sometimes helped me sleep during the day.

I think one of the important things about night shift is consistency - which is darn near impossible to maintain.  If you can stay up and keep the same sleep schedule on your off days, that's the best thing.  However, as you know it's almost impossible to stay up all night when you have nothing to do and there's nothing good on tv or nobody awake to talk to!!  haha

Do you use oxygen?  Is there any way you could get access to oxygen at work or be able to store an O2 tank in the locker room or lounge?  I couldn't do that, but what I did do (and still do - even on day shift) was take Amerge or Frova before work, depending on if I was working 8 or 12 hours.  They are the longest acting triptans, and they actually kept my CH away while I was at work for the most part.  After work was  a toss up however.  I found I had to take it before going in to work because if I waited until I was working, inevitably I got hit while doing some kind of care that I absolutely could not abandon.  Sometimes I'd just rest my head against the isolette while I was changing the diaper or finishing up other care.  It's hard to escape and yet we don't want others to see the pain in our faces...

I wish you the best of luck with it and let us know how it is going!

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 8th, 2006, 6:28pm »

"Who put the f in shift work?".......Oh Aussiebrian sir, I will be using that line in the future!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 6:31am »

Abnormal sleep patterns/sleep disorders are frequently referenced as a potential cause and/or triggers of CH attacks.  

I believe that while in cycle - shift work and abnormal sleep patterns can increase CH activity.  I've often noted that when tired/lacking sleep or after a long day of heavy physical exertion my CH activity/severity tends to increase.

But as many of us already know the disorder promotes abnormal sleep patterns.  If abnormal sleep patterns/sleep disorders were key factors it would seem that CH would be a progressive disorder that feeds off of itself with the highest percentage of sufferers getting progressively worse without remission.  We know this isn't the case, cyclical activity far exceeds chronic activity.      

I further question the abnormal sleep idea in that for most suffers, CH returns when they are enjoying more normal sleep patterns and goes into remission when sufferers experience some of their highest levels of abnormal sleep activty.  

Okay, where am I going with this rant?.    

I believe that abnormal sleep patterns/sleep disorders have little or no effect on causing - and do not influence the return, remission or lenghth of cycles.

As contributing factors to increased CH activity during cycles - addressing/treating abnormal sleep patterns/sleep disorders may reduce a sufferers CH activity/severity levels during cycles.    

As potential causes and cures - I believe abnormal sleep paterns/sleep disorders may be a dead end.      

Tom      

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 6:38pm »

on Apr 7th, 2006, 3:49pm, kaz101 wrote:
does anyone know if sleep patterns can affect them ? xx

It'll fire me right up.  
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 11:38pm »

Tom,

I don't look at the issue of abnormal sleep patterns as a method to a cure, but I do believe these sleep patterns play a very important role for most CH'ers.

We know that many sufferers are hit shortly after falling asleep - associating attacks with REM sleep.

Melatonin is not made by the body when daylight is present.  Melatonin has been found to be quite useful to many CH'ers, and therefore those of us who do shift work are at a double disadvantage here.  We already recognize the importance and need for melatonin in fighting our own condition, but due to the fact that we sleep during the daylight, we don't make this precious chemical on our own at the time when we need it most.

At this moment, I'm too tired to go into any more rants myself on sleep since I didn't sleep a minute last night and then worked a very long day today!  I have to get up in about 4 hours and work another long one.  Too many hits last night and the disordered sleep for me reached its peak last night.  I hate nights like that.

I don't think that studying disordered sleep patterns and the relation to the hypothalamus and cluster headaches is going to necessarily lead to a cure, but I do believe it will lead to further understanding.  And further understanding simply places more pieces of the puzzle together.  That makes it easier to find a "cure."

Had to end on an optimistic note...   Cool

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

kaz101
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 3:48am »

Thanks to all of you who have posted stuff about, sleep patterns its been most usefull, Iv just had a night off so slept durning the night last night and didnt get a hit which was great, another 9 nights to go so we will see.
Karen xx
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 6:10am »

on Apr 11th, 2006, 11:38pm, Lizzie2 wrote:
Tom,

I don't look at the issue of abnormal sleep patterns as a method to a cure, but I do believe these sleep patterns play a very important role for most CH'ers.

We know that many sufferers are hit shortly after falling asleep - associating attacks with REM sleep.

Melatonin is not made by the body when daylight is present.  Melatonin has been found to be quite useful to many CH'ers, and therefore those of us who do shift work are at a double disadvantage here.  We already recognize the importance and need for melatonin in fighting our own condition, but due to the fact that we sleep during the daylight, we don't make this precious chemical on our own at the time when we need it most.

I don't think that studying disordered sleep patterns and the relation to the hypothalamus and cluster headaches is going to necessarily lead to a cure, but I do believe it will lead to further understanding.  And further understanding simply places more pieces of the puzzle together.  That makes it easier to find a "cure."

Had to end on an optimistic note...   Cool

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley

Carrie,  

On your first three statements - I agree while noteing that only when CH'rs are in cycle.

In cycle CH activity increases with lack of sleep or physical tiredness.  Nearing REM sleep is one of the primary periods for experiencing high in cycle CH activity and disrupts sleep.  Production of Melatonin is inhibited by daylight and even artificial light.

So absolutely - shift workers and those experiencing sleep deprivation are truely at a double disadvantage when they are in cycle.  However no amount of personal or professional schedule reform seems to stop the cycle - only reduce the frequency/severity of attacks.  

But then - remission.  Suddenly none of these previous issues will be issues again until a new cycle begins.  Our enlarged hypothalamus', their overactivity during attacks and our pineal glands inability to produce Melatonin?  No problem until a new cycle begins.

Eat, drink, stay up late, work too hard, work too long, sleep all day - no amount of over-indulgence seems to induce a cycle.

If everyone experienced cycles in low light periods of the fall/winter or higher light periods of spring/summer a seasonal light connection between our hypothalamus and/or pineal gland could be made - but everyone can begin and end cycles at any time of the year.  

It's these factors that lead me to belive that abnormal sleep habits may only be triggers for attacks when in cycle and may not be keys to understanding the disorder.

Dinged up Hypothalamus' and/or Pinial Glands affecting our body clocks?  I think there may be a relationship.  If all sufferers were chrinic I would be more comfortable saying this - but I have difficutly incorporating the on/off cycle swith that most sufferers have into the equation.  Unfortuantely these may also only be relevent issues while in cycle.  

I want to trade for a disorder that isn't so damned fickle.

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 10:41am »

Switching shifts is a surefire way to make the moster rend my brains to mush. The monster likes routine, and if you change the routine, it gets even with you. The monster has double standards, because it will change on you without notice Undecided

Hope things settle down for you soon!!

Dragn
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Several researchers have described cluster headaches as a circadian disorder, though it is case of the blind men and the elephant, others focus on serotonin, others on the anatomy and hypothalamus, etc.  

Melatonin production is low in clusterheads, year round, regardless of if they are in cycle or remission. Change in sleep for work, caffeine in the evening, psuedoephedrine for sinus problems - they all mess up melatonin and circadian cycles.  I have improved greatly since getting a 8-5 job and eliminating pseudofed, cutting back on pm caffeine and keeping regular sleep patterns.  Usually in July and August, I start waking up early and am completely alert at 5:30 or 6 am, regardless of when I go to bed ... and I get a twitch in the affected eye. That is a signal that the beast is approaching.  I start a regular sleep plan, with melatonin at 9:30 and sleep at 10:00, plus magnesium and B-vitamins.  That has kept the pain away for the past few years, although I still get 'phantom' clusters with all the other signs of CH, just no headache.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss