Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 9:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new guy- some questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   new guy- some questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new guy- some questions  (Read 304 times)
mipaint
New Board Newbie
USA 

new guy

new guy- some questions
« on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

FIRST POST

My real name is Walt.  I’m a 25 yr old white male.  I do not smoke, and almost never drink (maybe 2X a year).

I just started getting these head aches.  In my case they come on very suddenly with an extremely sharp pain.  More often then not behind my right temple.  When they hit it is so sudden I often  “flinch” and grab at my head like I just got hit by a rock.

I have been to the Dr. and he has started me on some medication (sorry- don’t have it here to tell you what it is)

My Dad said these were “cluster headaches” because he had them in his 20s.  In his case they seem to have gone away.   For several years he had “cluster periods” then went several years without.  In the last 10 years he has only had one short weeklong bout.

The last time he had them was about the same as now—that is springtime in Michigan.  We both have allergies, and for 2 to 3 weeks every spring we get run down and take a lot of over the counter nose sprays to get rid of the sinus congestion and sinus head aches.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of link between these headaches and decongestants?  

I lift weights 4 times a week.  In the last 3 months I have been taking bodybuilding supplements.  Has anyone had any experience with how these supplements my effect the head aches?  I figure the Whey Protein shouldn’t have any effect but I wonder about the Creatine.

The other thing I was wondering has to do with Pot.  I don’t take it (I have never smoked ANYTHING- legal or not) but my girl friend and her parents smoke it fairly heavy.  That means I’m exposed to “second hand THC” (if there is such an animal).  Any experience with this?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’m trying to come up with something in my life style that I can change to get rid of these &$(@# things!
IP Logged
seccsij
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I will survive!

Re: new guy- some questions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:36pm »

Good luck new guy.  I have been trying to do just that for 22 years laughDont give up though.  I hope to one day figure it out no matter how long it takes so that we can all be blessed with PF days.  Maybe you'll beat me to it Cool

I have found some real evidence that stress/anxiety play a very large part and am trialling meditation, breathing exercises and relaxation to some benefit.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:38pm by seccsij » IP Logged

CH cannot stop me from still being ME!!!!!!!!!Smiley)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:50pm »

Hiya  

We come in all shapes and sizes my friend.
Some are in great shape and some are your everyday Joe/Joanna......

I couldn't tell you if supplements would have an affect or not.

Some use meds and some don't.
I don't use any meds anymore but would certainly advocate for your relief.

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I have used Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753  

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 10-12 times.....I have slept through the night since August '04 (went chronic in March 05).....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall. (Maybe I should start folowing my own advice again hahahaha!)

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

Like I said we are all different.  

Best wishes, good luck & stay as positive as you can!!!!  

Eric  
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:34pm »

I'm an amateur weight lifter also. When I'm on cycle, (the 10-12 weeks when I'm getting headaches) The creatine is a horrible trigger, meaning it brings on the headaches. When I'm off of my cycle the creatine doesn't bother me. The only other supplement I take is whey protein and it has no effect on or off cycle.  

Take the quiz on the left, this is awfully sudden for a cluster diagnosis. There is another ongoing thread about how clusters don't seem to be hereditary. I only mention that because most doctors know very little about clusters and yours may have been kind of hasty in your diagnosis based on dads history.

Welcome to the site, I hope you don't have clusters, they suck. If you do, there are so many beautiful people on this board dying to help you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 3:16am »

Hi Eric

And ditto the above  . . . . and you really should make sure you are in the right place . . . proper diagnosis (especially to rule out other causes) is most important.

As to the pot . . . .many find that weed can trigger an attack or, if smoked during an attack . . . . make it worse.  Have yet to see a post where it was beneficial.  The questions comes up fairly often because I believe that pot is supposed to be a constrictor, and therefore should help . . . . the opposite seems to be the case.

Hope it's not CH, but if it is you're in the right place.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 2:25pm »

As for pot .. my sister smokes it regular ,I notice that when I'm in bout it can bring an attack straight on if i'm near her .. but when I'm not in bout doesnt affect me  Undecided
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:11am »

Hey Walt.

I too am a non smoker, and an occasional drinker. I am active outdoors, and while not in the best of shape, not overweight either.  
In otherwords, I dont fit the "mold".  

Many here (I am one of them) find relief in herbs like Kudzu. I also occasionally use melatonin to sleep, but just as often use Benidryl. Since CH does have some effect on the sinuses, your question on decongestants is relevant. I have used different decongestants at times and found some minor relief.  

Hope you have some pain free time

Dragn
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 3:45pm »

I've been trying to copy the picture of the trigiminal nerve but I'm failing.  It's to the left on the ouch website.

You can see how those strange tingles & burns are the ends of the branches, and you can actually see the route the pain takes in the three branches.

It helped me understand part of what happens.  Still don't understand the cardiovascular part.

Charlotte

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2006, 3:48pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss