Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HELP!!!!!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   HELP!!!!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP!!!!!!  (Read 238 times)
kmitchell16
New Board Newbie
USA 

I Need Help Please Help Me

Email

HELP!!!!!!
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was recently medically dischaged from the air force because of ch and I am out in california going to see my doctor and she asked me what she should prescibe me and I told her verapamil and some steroid to get rid of these things but she only presribe me the verapamil and I am screwed i cant leave my house between 10 and 3 pm because of these headaches everyday for the past 3 weeks will someone please help I have already lost my career and nobody wants to hire me because of these headaches I just dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP Huh
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 7:28pm »

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I have used Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753  

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 10-12 times.....I have slept through the night since August '04 (went chronic in March 05).....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall. (Maybe I should start folowing my own advice again hahahaha!)

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

Like I said we are all different.  

Best wishes, good luck & stay as positive as you can!!!!  

Eric  
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 7:39pm »

Welcome, and sorry you had to find us.  
Eric, as usual, covered things very well.  I can only add that as far as the career goes you may have to wait until you are off cyle to get embedded ,and then hope for the best when your cycle returns, go in armed with this:

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/colleagueletter.htm

I know it has worked for me so far.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 8:02pm »

Welcome, sorry you're having such a rough time. Hang in there and read the info Eric gave you. Things will get better.   jim
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 8:16pm »

Read everything and hang in there.  Sometimes all you can do is get through it.  Just get through this first.  

Sorry about you're career.  

Hopefully, things will level out, either because an episode ends or you find something that helps, then you can look for or make another career.  Most of us are workaholics, I think (when I can think, that is).  If we're lucky, we find a fit, but it is a struggle.

Charlotte

IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:10am »

Hi and sorry you're here

DO copy the 02 info and take to your doc.  Works for 60-70% of us to abort.  

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 3:54am »

Welcome.

What dosage Verapamil are you on?  Verapamil takes 7 - 14 days to build up, sometimes, before you will start to see an improvement in the duration and intensity of your attacks.  Verapamil dosage can also be increased if a lower dosage does not give the desired results.

Great info Eric gave and read as much as you can on the left hand side of the board and the pinned topics at the top of each section.  Print the info when you go and see your doc again, be armed with knowledge for this war.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 7:55am »

Starting searching for a new doc who has experience/skill in treating headache. We have too much experience here with well intended but unskilled docs.

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.
2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.  
3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.
4. http://www.achenet.org/physicians/   On-line screen to find a physician.
5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss