Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Where have you been all my life? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Where have you been all my life?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where have you been all my life?  (Read 221 times)
vtemt
New Board Newbie
USA 

Where have you been all my life?
« on: Jul 7th, 2007, 4:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Finally! I was diagnosed with cluster headaches about 10 yrs ago. The only treatment ever afforded me was amitriptyline. My MD put me on it, but was afraid of building up a tolerance so the plan was 6 mos on, 6 wks off. Number 1 withdrawal effect after that 6 mos? HEADACHE. I did not go back on it. I have since found that, for me, living a caffeine free life until I get a CH and then pounding caffeine along with Excedrin works to break it. I have not tried O2 therapy, but as an EMT, it is available to me and I will try it tomorrow at 0220 when this happens all over again. It is very reassuring to know that I am not the only one with a dented headboard from night after night of literally b anging my head from the pain. I will have to show this to my ex-husband so that he will finally see that I wasn't crazy after all! I will also share this site with my son (14 yrs old) who, unfortunately, has inherited my penchant for head banging headaches. Just reading some of these posts and feeling like I must have typed them because it is EXACTLY how I feel has made my whole day, my whole year, my whole life! I am NOT alone. This morning as my headache finally oozed out of my right ear, and my right eye stopped tearing and my right nostril stopped running I found this website. Tomorrow morning, when it all happens again, I will read this website and again be comforted. Thank you, thank you, thank you  laugh
IP Logged
ordinary_joe
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Where have you been all my life?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 4:38am »

Vtemt, welcome. Yes, this  is a godsend! I keep a tank of O2 in the car as well as a tank at home as I get them in the day as well.    Works well vast majority of time is I spring into action at first shadow. I use 02 4-5 days in 24 hours.  Also, Maxalt seems to help abort worser ones in combo with O2
Good LucK.
IP Logged

Joe

It's tough to pull up your socks when you are down, but, it's game time.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 4:39am »

Hello and welcome.  Sorry that you're one of us, but I'm glad that you've found us.  

Wishing you PF days and nights.

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 4:39am »

Hi Vtemt,

You found the right place this will be your second family.There is allot of knowledge to be learned here.Before I found this site I thought I knew everything about CHs,but there is so much I didn't know that i have learned from here the people are great and supportive there your new brothers  and sisters.Welcome sister.And read,read,read.

Dave
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2007, 4:41am by MR_FLOOR » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 8:00am »

As an EMT you will be able to benefit from the first title.
----
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $59 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

===========

Two other excellent sources:

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/ha2006.pdf Dr. Robbins site. Then explore the entire site by deleting everything following. com/ and then hit enter.
======================================================================== =
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 9:11am »

Welcome to the board! You have much learning to do so you can start educating your docs. You didn't mention if you're episodic or chronic. Do you get breaks of several months at a time or is it constant, almost every day?

You need to get a preventative program going. The oxygen is great as an abortive but there are many meds which will reduce both the severity and the frequency of your head aches. I use lithium, others use topomax, verapamil, combos of those, there are several you need to read up on.

I'm episodic, I usually get 2 cycles a year, around spring and fall, lasting 8-12 weeks. I use 1200 mg of lithium a day when on cycle, reduces about 80-90% of my head aches. I use oxygen, cagergot and imitrex injectables for the break thru head aches.  

Stick around, get your 14 year old to sign on too. Lots of information here that's simply not available any place else!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss