Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 1:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie!  (Read 228 times)
GaryBadHead1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Newbie!
« on: Jul 26th, 2007, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all!

Well where do i start, like the rest of you i suppose! I was 26 when i experienced my first attack. I had a fairly good night out and woke up with a hangove on the saturday morning. I took two paracetamol and thought nothing of it. The headache didn't go away so i grabbed an early night.

I woke early on the sunday morning with a searing pain behind my left eye, it was also running profusiouly. I have a lazy left eye so I was fairly concerned, about 5 - 10mins after i woke up i felt a dreadful pain in and around the same area. It felt as though i wanted to grab a spoon and literary spoon the eye out of my head! I had never suffered such pain before, i went to the doctor after a week as this came and went all week. They examined my eye and found nothing wrong, they said they couldn't explain the head pain either. I was left to get on with it.

After several visits to my GP i pushed to see a neurologist, he suggested i suffered from migraines but ordered an MRI to be on the safe side, this came back all clear, headaches are still ongoing now. I don't seem to have any cycle, they just come and go when they please. I have probably had 40 + days off of work due to this!

I have been placed on a drug called Rivotril (clonazepam) has anyone heard of this!? I don't fully believe that my GP knows what they are dealing with! Anyway i feel for all us for having to go with this, daily, weekly and monthly all year round....

If someone could give me some advise on what i should say to my GP i would be grateful! Does anybody else suffer from a daily headache as well as a CH?

Kind regards, and all my best

Gary (28m, UK)
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 1:42pm »

Welcome to the board, the good news is there are lots of people with lots of experience here. The bad news is we haven't found a cure yet, but there are ways to manage these things. You will have to do a lot of reading here on the board, so you will be ready to manage your care. If you walk into a doctors office and rely on them to manage this, you will hurt, a lot.

You need some type of a preventative medication, that's a med you take while you are on cycle, getting headaches. The idea of the prevent is to lessen the frequency and intensity of your head aches. I use lithium, others use topomax or verapamil, It may take some experimenting to find one that's effective for you, it's worth the work.

Then you need an abortive. Something to stop the pain. Your first line abortive should be oxygen. Started at the first twinge, it will abort a headache for me in less then 10 minutes. You have to breathe pure 02 for it to be effective, you will nee a NON REBREATHER mask and a high flow valve, up to 15 litres per minute. Don't let them give you nasal canulas they are next to worthless.

For now try slamming an energy drink when a headache starts, monster, rock star, look for one containing caffeine and taurine. Many can abort a headache with one of those. Ice packs on the affected side will help some.  

Stick around the board, you have much to learn and many people who will gladly help you. Several of your countrymen,,,,and women,,,will be along soon to help with "country specific" meds!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
GaryBadHead1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 2:02pm »

Hey thanks for the welcom and advice Guiseppi, I did read that pure O2 is the way to go. This would be ideal as they hold this in our first aid room at work.

Time to buy in the NRG drinks!

Thanks again

Gary
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 4:04pm »

Hi Gary!

Welcome aboad!

I found this about Clonazepam..

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682279.html

acording to this article it should work as Topamax but the Doctor did not give you any abortives..

Please read as much as you can . Sometimes we (the sufferer) need to educate the Doctors about our condition.

You can find a lot of good information and also a Cluster quiz than can hlp you find out if you suffer from CH. There are some links to the left of this page and also in this link..

http://www.ouch-us.org/index.shtml

Please stay around and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck and Pain free wishes for you!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 5:36am »

Gary,

warm welcome to board! Smiley

I'm so sorry that you have ch, but you'll find lots of information & support right here! Smiley

I trust energy drinks myself, I hope that they will help you as well! If not, there are plenty of other things to try and you will find the right treatment for your ch.

PF days,
Sanna (27, sufferer since 2001)
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss