Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 1:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Strep throat starts cycle? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Strep throat starts cycle?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strep throat starts cycle?  (Read 285 times)
AA
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Strep throat starts cycle?
« on: Jul 28th, 2007, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OH MY

I can't believe it started again. Male, early 50's, had one episode 15 years ago that lasted two months, finally broken by several weeks of prednisone therapy. Gone (but never ever forgotten).

Then I got a bad case of strep throat 4 weeks ago, like swallowing razor blades, treated with typical azythromycin. Just as the strep symptoms dissipated, cluster headache returned after a 15 year absence!

The only difference this time is the severity of pain, down from a screaming absolutely disabling 10 to an 8 or 9. And before starting prednisone again, they were once a day, early evening, could set your watch by the time of onset, lasted 2.5 hours, etc.-you all know what I'm talking about.

It is hard to believe that a severe infection in the sinus region followed by a cluster cycle after a 15 year hiatus is a coincidence.

Anybody have a similar story?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Strep throat starts cycle?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 6:44pm »

A 15 year remission? Lucky bastage.  Wink

I have heard of folks who'll go into cycle when on anti-biotics.  
Along with Prednisone, which is a transitional med, your dr should probably start you on a preventative. What are you using as an abortive?  
I like oxygen. Look over on the left at the oxygen info link.
Welcome.
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
AA
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 12:32am »

Thanks for the quick reply  laugh

It's very tough--I'm on the road, no chance yet to see a neurologist but had access to prednisone and basically replicated what I remember of the drug regimen from years ago--which has broken up the cycle and now it's been 3 days since I've had one and am nearly tapered off. Self medicating with such potent stuff is ill advised but seems to have worked at this point.

So avoiding alcohol for the most part and keeping my fingers and toes crossed, I hope to be OK until I get back to one spot long enough to get examined properly by somebody who knows what they're doing. Scary being out here without a preventative and also sans abortive. My heart does skip a beat when I pass a welding shop.  

Shocked

But I continue to have mild pain, dull ache, discomfort, sense of eye swelling that concerns me and preceded every attack so I have no idea how long I'll remain free of these things.

Such a wierd f---up syndrome. But given the horror stories I've been reading about, in this group I feel incredibly fortunate. And have to tell you that I had no idea there were even such terms as clusterheads and that this kind of a support forum and incredible source of info existed. So thank you all very much.

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 4:56am »

Keep the coffee handy and travel safe. Hoping for another 15 year break.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 12:19pm »

If you can't get to a doc I would stock up on Redbull and or Monster.They will tied you over til you can get to a doctor.

Dave
IP Logged
AA
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:49pm »

Grin Grin Grin

You know I did that Red Bull because of course on day four of zippo, it starts again and I raced out, got a bunch of this disturbingly expensive concoction of sugar, caffeine and whatever, downed two cans and lo and behold, instead of the inexorable slide into torture, a slow rise out of pain.  laugh laugh

How did that happen and how much of this stuff do I have to drink and over what period of time. Warning signs periodically return, usually after an hour post consumption. There has to be a limit for this wacky beverage...

Thanks.

Aaron
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss