Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi, I'm new..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi, I'm new.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi, I'm new.....  (Read 346 times)
Lubbi2
New Board Newbie
USA 

Sure, it will be an adventure!

Hi, I'm new.....
« on: Aug 18th, 2007, 12:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am still in the process of being diagnosed. I think I have been lucky enough to have happened upon a doc who has heard of CA. She wants me to get a CT scan to rule out everything else, but she's pretty sure, and so am I, that I've been having cluster headaches.

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on the preventatives. I've got a heart condition, so that rules out a big chunk of meds. I'm hoping to find something real fast, but I doubt I'll hit a silver bullet right away.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi. I'm sitting here afraid to go to sleep, because I have a bad feeling about what might happen. I'm glad to have found this board. Thanks for being there!
IP Logged
rolo65

Email

Re: Hi, I'm new.....
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 1:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hang in there! Don’t be afraid to sleep because then it’s controlling you! Try to get some oxygen, it woks best on night attacks.

I hope it lets you get some shut eye!

Rolo.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 1:16am »

Welcome, Lubbi2.   Smiley

Sorry you've come along when the house is a bit of a mess--we've been cleaning.   Wink

I understand your wish to find something effective as soon as possible.  Probably the most effective first weapon to put in your arsenal is oxygen--administered at 12-15 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask.  It's effective at aborting a cluster attack within minutes for about 70 percent of us.  Definitely the first thing to look at.

For an excellent source of information that will answer most of your questions, go to:  http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2links.htm  and download the pdf file at the bottom of the page--Supplemental Guide to Using 02.

Others will be along shortly with further thoughts and suggestions.  

Again, welcome.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 1:23am »

Hi Lubbi. Welcome, and Happy Birthday!

Rolo and George have mentioned oxygen, and it is certainly my first choice to abort an attack.
Melatonin, a cheap, OTC supplement helps many of us avoid those middle of the night terrors.  
Red Bull, and other energy drinks that contain taurine and caffeine also help a number of us if chugged quickly at the beginning of an attack. (I don't recommend tthem for night time attacks, though...they'll keep you awake)

I'm sorry you had to find us, but I'm glad you did. Keep reading...
pain free wishes, nani

IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
kyitb
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get 2 birds stoned at once ...

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 6:02am »

Hi lubbi, I want to reiterate don't be afraid to sleep.  It's a vicious cycle.  Wish I could follow my own advice sometimes.  Take my word for it though get sleep.  Whether you fear the beast or not it will come.  It's better to not fear it.  Haven't had the means to try oxygen yet.  What's worked for me thus far is redbull and a shower that's cold.  Good luck to you!  Welcome aboard...
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 6:58am »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 7:36am »

Hi Libbi2. Pleased to meet you. By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sorry you had to be here but you are among family now and will be in good hands. There is a ton of info on the left and talk to your Doc about o2. I preach it now as it has done wonders for me and the majority of the ones on this board.

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

michael
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 11:10am »

Welcome aboard Lubbi2

We all feel your pain. You are with family now

PF wishes

Mike
IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 11:41am »

Hi Lubbi,
I am new here too, welcome aboard.....you will find everyone here is very supportive and there is a wealth of information to be found from all the wonderful people here.  Sorry you may have CH's though.....Happy Birthday!

PF wishes

Alicia
IP Logged
Lubbi2
New Board Newbie
USA 

Sure, it will be an adventure!

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 12:45pm »

Thanks for the welcome! Its nice to not have to explain how bad my head hurts, because you all understand.

Thanks for the birthday wishes too! I might grow older, but I REFUSE to grow old!
IP Logged
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 3:07pm »

Hi Lubbi,

Welcome aboard, but sorry you're here.   For a preventative look into Kudzu.  You will find a number of posts in the Meds section.  Not sure if it is counterindicated for a heart condition or not, but I know it has worked wonders for me over the last 5 mos.  I've been basically PF for 4 1/2 mos now, and I'm chronic.  

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss