Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Smokers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Smokers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smokers?  (Read 1785 times)
Fig
New Board Newbie
USA 

Let It Be

Email

Smokers?
« on: Aug 21st, 2007, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  It's been a while since I've posted, but I think of you all the time. I have been wondering about something....how many of you smoke, or did smoke and quit? If you quit, did you notice any affect on your headaches? I know that for a lot of people smoke (the smell) can be a trigger. I'm just curious about actual smoking, itself--breathing in the smoke, injesting nicotine.........What do you think?

I used to grab a cigarette when I felt a headache coming on....?   I quit smoking 3 weeks ago.  No change. How is it for you?

Marion
IP Logged
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

Re: Smokers?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 11:33pm »

Hi Marion,

I think its probably different for everyone when it comes to smoking. Its not a trigger for me at all. I think if i quit, id still get CH's, and just as bad. For example, gasoline is a big time trigger for me, as soon as i get a wiff of it, my headaches kick in, and ten minutes later, im full blown with the beast. But it might not bother anyone else on this board. Gas, perfumes, or cologne, or anything else of the like also sets me off. But cig smoke, or smoking doesnt bother me.
IP Logged

After the madness is over and the shadows fade...drink up, because your life you now own again.

Joey B (Metalcreature)
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 2:36am »

It's not a trigger for me.

That said, many of us do smoke tobacco.  Perhaps it's a chicken-and-egg issue.  Does smoking have some influence on CH onset, or do we smoke because we're self-medicating in some respect?  I don't know.  I do know that nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor, and it does seem to help to fray the edges of the thing.  At least in my experience.  

Not the best thing to do, though, certainly.  It ain't good for you in any way, shape or form.

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
clusterwife
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 12:49pm »

it all depends on  
"what!"
r u smokin"!
Leah.
IP Logged

Maybe through me he can find the truth, for I will always try.
MvT
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Computer Technician

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 2:12pm »

I had one when I was around 12 my dad and many of his friends and my friends smoke....
IP Logged

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 3:40pm »

Medical literature has been fairly consistent in reporting a relationship between CH and smoking but the underlying mechanisms which are harmful--I've never seen discussed.

I assume that toxic compounds from smoking may lead to a hypersensitivity of blood vessels--I don't know--but folks here seldom report much/if any benefit from stopping.  

But that's not an argument to stopping, as you know!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 5:46pm »

I think the smoking is a coincidence.  If ch were related to smoking, wouldn't more smokers have it.  I don't smoke but smoke never bothered me, and I never thought about it.  I was shocked when ex-smokers got so militant.

Charlotte

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007, 5:47pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Dape
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Great_Britain 

WHY BOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 6:47pm »

on Aug 21st, 2007, 10:31pm, Fig wrote:
I used to grab a cigarette when I felt a headache coming on....?   I quit smoking 3 weeks ago.  No change. How is it for you?

Ime on day 5 and its a phucking nightmare, what possessed me to give up when i am having to cut my med intake back to zero is beyond me.

I used to grad a cigarette when i felt the beast rumbling about and also after an attack as well and it seemed to help me calm down.  

Now ime getting slammed and its making it worse that i want a smoke but after a couple of abnormal ECG`s i ain't gonna take the risk.

Hope that your are still smoke free.

Dape
IP Logged

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ???
Well i used to Sad
Saffy
New Board Junior
Wales 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 8:21am »

I know that there is supposed to be a relationship between smoking, drinking and CH.

However I have never smoked and I have never liked the taste of alcohol, so I don't drink at all.

Having said this 157 years ago, (well it seems that long,) when I was a teenager I did drink once or twice and only a couple of drinks. Very shortly an invisible man with an invisible truck would run over my head SO maybe it was a kind of aversion thing.

Also the smell of petrol or coal tar soap gets me every time since I small child.

Hope this helps in a small way.

Miles of Smiles form Sunny ( it really is at this moment honest) Wales. Smiley Cheesy Grin laugh
Saffy
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 6:42pm »

on Aug 28th, 2007, 6:47pm, davyp wrote:

Ime on day 5 and its a phucking nightmare, what possessed me to give up when i am having to cut my med intake back to zero is beyond me.

I used to grad a cigarette when i felt the beast rumbling about and also after an attack as well and it seemed to help me calm down.  

Now ime getting slammed and its making it worse that i want a smoke but after a couple of abnormal ECG`s i ain't gonna take the risk.

Hope that your are still smoke free.

Dape

Glad to hear you are smoke free. Grin Hang in there! I do not relate smoking and CH's, had them before quitting smoking and have them now without smoking. But I sure do miss that one after a hit, I found some sort of "peace" from it.  

Barry
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2007, 6:44pm by barry_sword » IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

Groov
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

!Privet! !OLA! !wassup! PARABELLUM

orangemod260500  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 8:15pm »

Doesn't act as a trigger for me at all Barry.
Cheers, Dave
IP Logged

PARABELLUM

I do look like my avatar...But I swear to God I am not a bag of aqua colored french fries

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others!!
Goudlake
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

:DRe: Smokers?
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 1:29pm »

I have been a CH sufferer for 20 years...smoker for 25. Never figured on the relationship between the two.  

April 2nd, my neurologist sent me to a shrink to be hypnotized to quit smoking.  PFDAN since and have not touched a smoke since.  Fingers are crossed.  
G
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re:  :DRe: Smokers?
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 1:38pm »

on Sep 18th, 2007, 1:29pm, Goudlake wrote:
I have been a CH sufferer for 20 years...smoker for 25. Never figured on the relationship between the two.  

April 2nd, my neurologist sent me to a shrink to be hypnotized to quit smoking.  PFDAN since and have not touched a smoke since.  Fingers are crossed.  
G

Hey Goud, do you suffer from Cluster Headaches? You're the first person I have ever seen report that quitting smoking created an immediate cessation of clusterheadache. Good for you for quitting though.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 2:06pm »

The hypothalmus is the supposed addiction center of the brain. According to one theory, we all have deformed hypothalmuses (as CH sufferers). This is why I believe you see a much higher nicotine addiction rate amongst CH'ers. The deformed hypothalmus causes both our CH and makes it much more difficult to quit. It's almost like we're uber-addicted.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Goudlake
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 4:45pm »

HI Seasonal....Prior to quitting, I was down with Clusters for weeks, up to as many as 6 weeks straight between relief. Gradually getting worse as the years went on. Had pretty much given up hope on a cure or a break.  

I found it hard to believe myself. No smoking is a good thing regardless. No pain is a huge plus. Like I said, fingers crossed.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:58pm »

had it when I did had it when I didnt  
still have them and do.
Shall we dosey doh? Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:30pm »

I used to smoke a couple cartons a week (there was only so much time in a day), but quit when I was well doped up by an incompetent neuro.   I'm glad I did, and hope you can do the same.  

Everybody is different, and this topic always gets a lot of action.  For me, I skipped several years after I quit.  I almost had myself convinced I had found the cure, but they're back now.  So maybe it was partially responsible for a few PF years, maybe coincidence.  Geez, I don't know.  But I feel better for having one less burden to bear.

I hope your hits are tolerable and your cycle short!
IP Logged

Jon
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #17 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 5:45am »

Once a smoker it's damn hard to give up.

Thing is you don't enjoy every cigarette but the one you really enjoy makes up for the rest. That's the pleasure that hooks you and does distract when the beast's visiting.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:01am »

Has anybody else read the article on choline deficiency(spelling?) in clusterheads? According to the article, we have a lack of choline in the brain, and nicotine mimics choline in the body. That particular article kinda asked if that was the reason so many CH'ers were heavy smokers. Just kinda thought it was interesting. If I can find the article again, I'll post the link.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em   Wink ,
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
scootman
New Board Newbie
USA 

father of 3, teacher of many....

clark_e_smith  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 2:31pm »

I am a smoker also but find no correlation between smoking and CHs. I am also interested in the results of this post but would bet that you will find a lot of caffeine addicts here also.

I smoke about a pack a day and drink A LOT of Mt. Dew. If I avoid the soda I can gurantee that my goose is cooked.
IP Logged

Clark Smith
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #20 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 8:09am »

on Sep 18th, 2007, 7:58pm, E-Double wrote:
Shall we dosey

IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Omer
New Board Newbie
Israel 

I little pride, so we won't have to borrow

Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 8:38pm »

[td] I used to grab a cigarette when I felt a headache coming on...[/td]

Hi there Marion,
I still grab a cigarette, however not able to smoke it!... but it does seem to ease the pain.
right after it goes away I do smoke.
The neurologist that I saw did mentioned that most man with CH have history of smoking.

Omer
IP Logged

What if I told you that it's the best it can get?!?
Lonnie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 10:24pm »

Hi,  I stopped for a couple of days but noticed no diff. Per suggestion I switched to American Spirit cigs that have no aditives at all. Obviously you would be better off to stop but since they don't seem to effect it I haven't.
IP Logged
SouthBronxSupreme
New Board Newbie
USA 

Eat drink and be merry, 4 tomorrow we die-  Bible

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 5th, 2007, 12:30pm »

To add on

I smoke newports, its never triggered a headache - I feel it calms my nerves and honestly marijuana helps me out alot - sitting alone in a dark room with a blunt and some low music helps me get thru a KIP7-9 - I havent had a 10 for two months, the pain is still there yet you can focus off of it easier and it really helps with the depression, My dad had CH early on and he became an alcoholic for a while (before diagnosed) they usta say someone put a curse on him. moreless tho smoking usually helps me out.
IP Logged

"You wanna call yourself a man , you better act like one!... Here! Take this.... Now if you hear someone coming, you don't scream out for me to help! Be a Goddamn Man! " - Donald Goine's Crime Partners
Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 8:38pm »

Interesting topic...here's my 2 cents.

I smoked for 31 years with the last 8 also having chronic CH. I quit just over 2 months ago and for the last 2 weeks have been in a severe CH crisis. My condition over the past 6 years has been fairly predictable and now its like a whole new ballgame with meds suddenly not working, etc.  

Any correlation between this change and quitting smoking? Don't know...but I'm not sorry I did...like was already said on here, its one less burden to bear. Also, smoking used to aggravate me if I had a shadow already, it seemed almost to bring on an episode. But I have to admit...I really miss that one after an attack...to me it was even better than having one after sex...eek, did I say that out loud??!!

IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss