Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 10:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Good News / Bad News »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Good News / Bad News
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Good News / Bad News  (Read 338 times)
Kilowatt3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! <--- Whaddaheck is this???

kilowatt3

Good News / Bad News
« on: Sep 1st, 2007, 10:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

Jim here, in SW Louisiana.  I'm new to the board, but have been a CH since the early 90's.  I have been very fortunate to have been in total remission for about the last six years.

The bad news is that the party's over - the Beast is back.

The good news is that there sure seems to be a lot more ammo to use against him these days!  I have been combining a number of 'therapies', and I'm having very good luck.  My analytical side (I'm an engineer)cringes at this approach, 'cause I can't conclusively say what's doing the trick, but heck, a PF day is a triumph, whether you know the exact reason for it or not, right?

Here's my regimen:

Kudzu - 1000 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)
Magnesium - 250 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)
St. John's Wort - 300 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)
Skullcap - 425 mg at bedtime
Melatonin - 10 mg at bedtime

In addition, I keep Red Bull at hand, and slam one down at the first sign of a shadow, along with a couple of 500 mg Taurine tablets.

No wild claims of a "cure", but I'm kind of on cloud 9 right now, due to my success with this "program" - I've been on it for a little over a week, and have now been about six days with nothing worse than a vague shadow.  It's been about 3 weeks since this period started, and from past experience, I would expect to be right about at the peak of a cycle right now.  I'm still scared to try drinking a beer, but I just might try one before the holiday weekend is over!  I'll let you all know how that pans out!

I've got an O2 tank & regulator on order, but at the rate I'm going, I just might not need them!

Many thanks to all who have contributed here, and GL to everybody!

Very best regards,
Jim
IP Logged

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Good News / Bad News
« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:50am »

Jim:

Glad things are working so well.  My best to you!

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 10:28am »

Jim,

that's brilliant! Smiley

I sure hope that your treatment will keep on working and that the beast will take a hike asap - for good! Smiley

PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 3:08pm »

Best wishes for you Jim!! Hope the beast goes away for another six years or maybe..never return  Grin

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:08pm »

Way to go Jim!  Read up, build your arsenal and kick some beast but.  I hope this plan works for your whole cycle.  Wishing you PFDAN!

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:42am »

on Sep 1st, 2007, 10:41pm, Kilowatt3 wrote:

Here's my regimen:

In addition, I keep Red Bull at hand, and slam one down at the first sign of a shadow, along with a couple of 500 mg Taurine tablets.

Welcome, Jim.

Interesting to hear your regimen.  I've gotten very conservative with treatments and supplements over the years, and your approach sounds familiar.  Here's mine in cycle:

250 mg. magnesium, 2X daily.
1000 mg. calcium 1X daily.
9 mg. melatonin, 1/2 hour before bedtime, with 4 mg. chlorpheneramine maleate (an OTC antihistamine).
Energy drinks with taurine to kill shadows.

I also take 2 100 mg. aspirin each day to compensate for Factor V Leiden, (an unrelated condition that I have), as well as 500 mg. Vitamin C, and 400 mg. vitamin E.  I doubt that any of those have much effect on CH.

I plan to try oxygen at either 10 to 15 lpm and a non-rebreather mask, or with a demand regulator during my next cycle to abort.  We'll see how that works.

Glad to hear from you, and best wishes,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Kilowatt3
New Board Newbie
USA 

kilowatt3

« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:49pm »

on Sep 1st, 2007, 10:41pm, Kilowatt3 wrote:

Here's my regimen:

No wild claims of a "cure", but I'm kind of on cloud 9 right now, due to my success with this "program" - I've been on it for a little over a week, and have now been about six days with nothing worse than a vague shadow.  It's been about 3 weeks since this period started, and from past experience, I would expect to be right about at the peak of a cycle right now.  I'm still scared to try drinking a beer, but I just might try one before the holiday weekend is over!  I'll let you all know how that pans out!

Very best regards,
Jim

Here's an update - More Good News / Bad News!

The bad news is that I spoke a little too soon - had an attack Saturday night around midnight.

The good news is that the attack was relatively minor - maybe Kip 4-5, and lasted only about 1/2 hour.  My HA's are usually Kip 8-9, and last exactly an hour like clockwork!

More good news is that last night (Sunday) a neighbor and his wife came over to visit, and the guy got me in a head-lock and started pouring beer down my throat.  By the time I was able to get free, I'd had four beers.  NO HA AT ALL!!!

I'm pretty sure I'm on to something, at least for me!  If anyone tries this, please let me know if/how it works!
IP Logged

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:20pm »

Hey Jim!  It seems there is always some bad news with the good. I'm glad you are finding a silver lining in all this.  PFDAN to ya...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Kilowatt3
New Board Newbie
USA 

kilowatt3

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 9:38pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:49pm, Kilowatt3 wrote:

Here's an update - More Good News / Bad News!

The bad news is that I spoke a little too soon - had an attack Saturday night around midnight.

The good news is that the attack was relatively minor - maybe Kip 4-5, and lasted only about 1/2 hour.  My HA's are usually Kip 8-9, and last exactly an hour like clockwork!

More good news is that last night (Sunday) a neighbor and his wife came over to visit, and the guy got me in a head-lock and started pouring beer down my throat.  By the time I was able to get free, I'd had four beers.  NO HA AT ALL!!!

I'm pretty sure I'm on to something, at least for me!  If anyone tries this, please let me know if/how it works!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my 'discovery'.  Here's another update - more good news / no  more bad!

With the exception of Saturday's minor HA, I remain pain-free going on two weeks, in spite of repeated exposure to known triggers:

- In past CH periods, I have NEVER been able to drink alcohol without setting off the Beast.  As mentioned earlier, I drank four beers on Sunday with no problem. I have since had two beers with dinner last night (Tuesday) and two with dinner tonight - NO PROBLEM!

- I had also found air travel to be an almost inevitable trigger in the past, but I spent most of the day yesterday on planes (Total of 7 hours flight time, four flights) - NO PROBLEM!

Everything on my list was found either on this site, or OUCH.  I just combined them in a way that seems to work, at least for me.  I'm really excited about this.  If whatever you're doing isn't working, and you're looking for something else to try, give it a shot, and let us know what happens!  I feel like these meds are a whole lot gentler and safer than the doctor-prescribed stuff, not to mention a WHOLE lot cheaper!  Everything on the list is available OTC at Wal-mart or GNC.

Sorry to babble, but (I hope) you can imagine how I feel right now!  Best of luck and PFDAN to everyone!

Regards,
Jim
IP Logged

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 8:58am »

Jim,

I am so pleased you've found a combo that is working for you!  Any time anyone wins a battle against the beast I just beam.  !!!!!!!!!!!

When we first found this site, hubby tried basically that mix.  His problem was that the kudzu and magnesium made his GI problems worse - and they're bad to begin with.

But I'm glad it's working SO WELL for you!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss