Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 8:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hmmm...Im not crazy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hmmm...Im not crazy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hmmm...Im not crazy  (Read 331 times)
Jackson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sweetptra612
Email

Hmmm...Im not crazy
« on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have nothing to say right now. I am in complete shock.  

I am not crazy... This is actually a condition. I just cannot believe this. I am so happy I want to cry.  

My name Is Tracey. I am 27 years old. I have been an episodic CH sufferer for 10 years now (currently in cycle). I have never known anyone else to have this type of pain, and I am sure glad that I have found someone. After dealing with this pain for 10 years, with no relief when it happens, to now know that there is some hope for this, I want to get up and do backflips or cartwheels or something.  

I am such awe that I am just staring at the screen with a million things going through my head...

Im going to ponder this for a bit..... then I will be back.

By the way....

THANK YOU !
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: Hmmm...Im not crazy
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:05am »

It's a little overwhelming, isn't it?

That was my first reaction when I found CH.com as well.  Imagine that--there are others.

Welcome to your new home.  Look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:14am »

Hey Jackson,

Definitely you are not crazy,theres quite a few of us,and we support each other like family.Welcome home.

Dave
IP Logged
michael
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:31am »

Hi Tracey

Welcome to your new family, you'll never be alone with the beast again.

Great name by the way - same as my daughter.

PF wishes

Mike
IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 7:25am »

Hi Tracey,  your reaction is exactly like mine was. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did both!

Nope, you're not crazy and you're welcome here. We all do understand the pain, and you'll find a lot of info on how to deal with it.

Stick around and get to know us.  Smiley

Jen
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 7:52am »

Welcome to your new family. That was my reaction also when I found this board and all the help from the family.

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:22am »

Hi Tracey,  Welcome home!  You wont find a better support system or a more informed group of people on the planet.  This place is amazing  Grin

So read, read, read and when your done, read some more.  Get your game plan together and then find a Doctor who will work with you.  It is hard to find a Dr who is already up on CH so finding one who is willing to learn is also a good way to go.

When you get your head together (did I just say that  Lips Sealed) let us know more about your experience.  Then get ready for some great advice.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:45pm »

Hi Tracey!

I am not a psychologist, so I cannot diagnose whether or not you are crazy, although a lot of us here are! Grin

Welcome home.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 5:17pm »

Okay, now you have some work to do! Tell us what you've used, what has and hasn't worked, and give us a chance to make some suggestions, it's what the board is really for!!!! And welcome to the greatest little web site on earth!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Jackson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sweetptra612
Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:08pm »

Cheesy
Ok, my thinking is a little more straight. I have read some, but there is alot more to go.  

As, I said before I have had CH for 10 years now. When they first started I was told so many different things by so many doctors. It was because I was anemic, because I had depression. Every doctor had a different answer. I tried so many different medications that are too long to list. So I gave up about 5 years ago. I haven't been on anything since.  

The beast comes every 4-6 months, for about 8 weeks. I have them almost everyday, could be every other, sometimes four days in between. When they first start in a cluster I wake up at night with them. Then they start in the morning, and travel into the afternoon. My last one was yesterday morning lasting an hour and a half. Yesterday the pain lasted all day, like an annoying pain, tolerable. Its still there today, but much less than yesterday. When they come I squeeze my head so tight, and just cry. I keep telling myself it will be over soon. I need to say that over and over to myself so I make it through. It usually only lasts about an hour. Then I am extremely exhausted. I get the pain in my right temple. My right eye gets watery and droopy and my nose gets stuffy on that side. Sometimes its so bad that I just want to die.

So after reading a bit on the site, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. There is help out there. Is there really an injection that can make an attack last only 10 minutes or so?

I noticed on the OUCH website that there is a neurologist in my area. He is in with the Headache Center that is here. I am definetly going to call tomorrow.  

Everyone here has been so kind. I am so grateful to each and everyone of you! I cannot explain how thankful I am that you would share your feelings, trials and tribulations.

Tracey
 Cheesy
IP Logged
michael
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #10 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 6:41am »

Hi Tracey,

A few ideas to think about and talk over with your neuro.

Yes you can get an injection. It is called imitrex and comes with an injector pen so you just hold against the skin and press. Usually works in 10 mins (The maximum dose is 2 a day).  Can also get imitrex pills and nasal spray but they dont seem so effective.

Alot of people here swear by oxygen. Must be 100%oxygen breathed through a non-rebreather mask at a flow rate of 10 to 15 lpm at the first sign of an attack. Most seem to get relief within 20 mins.

Thats the aborts but you also need a preventative.

Alot use verapimil although in much higher dosages than the drug is usually used for (can be between 240mg and 1000mg a day) so alot of trial and error is needed to find the level plus constant monitoring of the heart as high levels can be dangerous.

A prednisone taper (steriod) is used initially whilst the verap is building in your system. This is taken tapering down in dosage over a couple of weeks and should take out some hits.

Alot of people have found success with energy drinks like Red Bull (any that include both caffeine and taurine).
Must be gulped straight down at the first sign of a hit.

Hope this gives you some hope. I am sure many will follow with their suggestions. What works for one does not neccessarily work for someone else. Alot of trial is needed.

Note, apart it seems oxygen, many of the drugs we use need to be used as sparing as possible, they are not nice drugs.

PF wishes

Mike
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007, 6:59am by michael » IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 11:04pm »

Hey Tracy,

Sorry you ended up here, but you've come to the right place.  I just wanted you to know the folks you'll meet here are all crazy...  Not stupid...  just crazy.  They're crazy with delight that you found us... Crazy to answer your questions.  Crazy to be your supporter and listen to your problems.  and best of all, crazy to be your best friend.

I'm Pete Batcheller a.k.a. Batch and also your friendly O2 Pusher   I'm Pete Batcheller a.k.a. Batch and also your friendly O2 Pusher.  If you've not already done so, make an appointment with your doc and ask for an Rx for medical O2.  Make sure you ask for 7-15 liters/minute flow rate, and if that's not a problem with the doc, ask for a 15-25 liter/minute Rx.  

You'll find a Supplemental User's Guide on the OUCH website in yellow on the left or go to the following URL:

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2info.shtml

and drill down in the "O2 Information" link in green.  It has more current information on using O2 as a cluster headache abortive than anywhere on the Internet...

There's also a questions and feedback link that you can use to contact me.  If you do, I'll send you the latest version of the High Flow Rate O2 Therapy paper and procedures to abort cluster headaches.  Long time chronic cluster headache suffrerers who've used O2 for years are using  this new procedure and cutting their abort times in half.  Please drop me a line so we can help.  I've already sent you a PM so you can contact me directly.
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss