Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 9:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie Supporter - Declaring War! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie Supporter - Declaring War!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie Supporter - Declaring War!  (Read 314 times)
Clusterwar
New Board Newbie
USA 

Newbie Supporter - Declaring War!
« on: Sep 5th, 2007, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm Leah.  My boyfriend, Mark, age 28, suffers from CH.  Why they are called headaches I have no idea, because it's so much worse than that.  He suffered from an attack about a month after we started dating... and I never want to see him go through that again!

Unfortunately, 2 1/2 years later, we're afraid he's due for another attack soon.  So I'm declaring war on the ClusterF*cks!  Those demons better not try to mess with us, and I want to be armed with whatever kind of arsenal I can muster to fight back.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the info on here!

Mark tried Imitrex last go round, and that helped when he took it early enough.... but now I'm reading about Zolmig and maybe that works better?  

One more question: Mark started a new job recently and doesn't have insurance yet.  This medecine is so expensive, and I was wondering if I could go to a doctor, describe Mark's episodes, and get the Zolmig prescribed in my name instead, since I do have insurance.  I'm typically a very honest person, but this is war!  And we don't have much money to spare.  And I just don't want him to go through an attack without something to help.  Has anyone else had this problem?
IP Logged

Leah
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Newbie Supporter - Declaring War!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 2:47pm »

Leah I understand your motives and I can only applaud your attitude BUT  - and you knew that "BUT" was coming didn't you?!

It would be fraud and if caught you would probably never get insurance again. Also - suppose you have a "diagnosis" of CH - how can you suddenly say you don't and what if - well you can imagine all the what ifs. I don't want to rain on your parade but that really would be a bad idea honey.

I would strongly suggest you contact the OUCH US Family Services Team. They are the most fantastic caring bunch of people on the face of the earth. They are all sufferers or supporters and know exactly where both you and Mark are. They have details of all sorts of schemes that may help you and it would be the best thing you can do in my opinion (which you get for free!!)

Here is their page on the OUCH US website (you can join OUCH for free too!)  

http://www.ouch-us.org/familysvs/familysvs1.shtml

Right, that said lets see what options we CAN come up with for you until Marks insurance kicks in or he gets some or whatever is the case.

Over the counter options, home remedies - call them what you will there are things we all use often to great effect.

RedBull or similar energy drinks are a great thing. I use the cheapest ones I can get from Aldi and they are just as good (I'm talking about high caffeine/taurine drinks)

If Mark chugs one at the first twinge of an attack it can abort it. The longer you leave it the less chance there is of it working but its an option I use alot. Its no time for drinking nicely either - you want that jungle juice down your neck as fast as you can get it there for maximum effect! It works because caffeine is a vaso constrictor, it reduces the size of the blood vessels which are dilated in aCH attack which is what causes the excruciating pain.

Ice packs work really well too - bags of frozen peas or corn, the chemical ones you bash (look in the $ stores - I've bought tons in the equivalent shops here) are fantastic for taking out and about with you too.

Some people find heat helps more than cold and for them a steaming hot shower with the water directed to that side of their face is bliss. I'm a "cold" little soul though and I've even sat in the car with the air con on full and my face parked in the vents.

Coffee - strong coffee is also a good option. Drunk fast as in the red bull method and should be a lot of use if you like it (love it!)

Has Mark ever tried O2?  

I promise we'll do all we can to help and support you BOTH - and thank you from me.  
I know from my own experience its every bit as hard if not harder to be the supporter as the sufferer so there are hugs here for you whenever you need them too  Smiley

Hang in there, we'll all get through this together!
Helen
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2007, 2:47pm by LeLimey » IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 4:44pm »

This excellent article will serve two purposes: to introduce you to the meds used to treat CH and, to introduce an abortive, olanzapine (Xyprexa) which is very effective and less expensive than Imitrex. Suggest you ask his doc for a sample. With one or two doses he will know whether it's effective.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 8:07pm »

Hello Leah!!

I can't add much more to what the other fine fellow clusterheads told you already...

but I want to THANK YOU for being such a wonderful SUPPORTER!!!!

Pain free wishes for Mark!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Clusterwar
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 8:13pm »

Thank you both!

I just hope the insurance kicks in before the attacks start.  O2 seems to help lots of people on here... do we have to get a prescription for that?  

We're picking up kudzu pills.  Mark says coffee helps ward off attacks, not so much the energy drinks.  And sucking on ice seems to help, too.  I guess we're really lucky since so many people here seem to suffer from chronic CH.  I can't imagine having to go through that day after day.

We're concerned, though, because he's having twinges and it's much sooner than expected for another episode...and from what I've read thus far, it sounds like a lot of other folks went from episodic to chronic.  I don't want to be pessimistic, but I'm so worried that the same will happen to Mark.  I guess the most we can do for now is to stockpile as much information and as many treatment options as possible.
IP Logged

Leah
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:34pm »

yes, you need a prescription for it, but you can always go for welders Oxygen..

here is some information about the oxygen..

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2links.htm
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss