Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 12:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie  (Read 311 times)
chellchell
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile! It confuses people!

« on: Sep 6th, 2007, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone!  I've been lurking around this board for a few weeks and wanted to introduce myself. finally.  My name is Michelle and I live in Boise, Idaho, just outside of the city in the mountains.  I have been married for 22 years and have 2 children, Ashley who is 20 years old and Bobby who is 17 years old.  My daughter, Ashley, is getting married on Sept 15th.

I was diagnosed with Chronic Migraines about 6 years ago but I started having these episodes every 6 months or so when they got way more intense and none of my medications would do anything for the pain.  My doctor finally diagnosed me with Cluster Headaches along with my migraines about a month ago.  He's put me on Lithium to hopefully stop them, so far it's helped diminish the pain but not totally get rid of them.  I also have Norco and Stadol I take for the migraines but these drugs are useless with the Cluster Headaches! Angry

My insurance just approved me to have the Botox injections.  Has anyone else tried this?  Has it worked with the Cluster Headaches?  I'm really unsure what else to do for these headaches, I get them everyday around 4:00 pm.  It's nice to have found a board where I can come to realize I am not alone and that my symptoms aren't "just in my head", lol!  Hope everyone has a painfree day  Grin!

Hugs,
Michelle S.
IP Logged
lorac
New Board Junior
USA 

Imagine

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 3:54pm »

Hi!   I am pretty new here too, but have had CH for a long time.   If you can get your hands on some oxygen, do it....It is the best bet...Too many drugs can cause rebound headaches.     Lithium sounds pretty heavy!
If I need drugs, I Take Zomig nasal sprays, and they work good.   But O2 works best.!

Good luck   lorac  Smiley
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Hi Michelle!

Welcome aboard!!

Too sad you have to find us but I am glad your are here.

I strongly suggest you get some Oxygen. Talk to your Doctor about it and print out the information you can find it in O.U.C.H.. It is the best abortive and it does not have side effects.

Imitrex , Zomig, etc are very good abortives when Oxygen fails . Red Bull and very strong coffee can help too.

Hope your cycle is a short one.

Pain free days and nights for you!!

Rosy.

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 8:47pm »

Welcome, Michelle.

I'll second (or third) the suggestion to look into oxygen therapy for CH.  Oxygen, administered at high flow rates (10-15 liters per minute) via a non-rebreather mask is a safe, effective means of aborting cluster headaches for a majority of us.  For further information, take a look at:

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2info.htm

Be sure to download the Supplemental User's Guide at the bottom of the page, and present this information to your doctor if you think it might be helpful.  Often, physicians are reluctant to prescribe oxygen for CH--but we've found that this is usually simple ignorance on the doctor's part, rather than for good reason.

I'm a fellow resident of Boise--I live in the NW corner of the city near the foothills, over by Eagle.  You getting any smoke from the fire up by Banks out your way? 

Again, welcome home.

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2007, 8:49pm by George_J » IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2007, 10:42pm »

Hello and welcome,

Regarding your question about Botox, I have been on this Board for a year and have spoken to several people but I havent heard of anything persistingly good about botox injections for CH.  

It could be great for your wrinkles though  Smiley

Annette
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 11:02am »

Botox has been used in trials but the results with CH have not been promising. There are subtle but real differences treating CH and migraine and so suggest you use the following to discuss your options with the doc.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
chellchell
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile! It confuses people!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:47am »

[color=Blue][/color]Thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice.  My Primary Doc gave me an RX for Lidocaine until I can see my Neurologist again on the 18th.  He wasn't comfortable prescribing the Oxygen so I will request that from my Neurologist.  The Lidocaine has helped already and I'm going to try the Imitrex injection.  I tried the Zomig Nasal Spray but it didn't do anything  Sad.  Seems to be my life story!  Everyone here has just been wonderful and so full of information.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

Hugs,
Michelle S.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss