Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ZOMIG AND MIGRAINES -VS- IMITREX AND CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   ZOMIG AND MIGRAINES -VS- IMITREX AND CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ZOMIG AND MIGRAINES -VS- IMITREX AND CH  (Read 612 times)
Raz
New Board Newbie
USA 

ZOMIG AND MIGRAINES -VS- IMITREX AND CH
« on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I APOLOGIZE. I HAD THE CAP-LOCK ON TOO LONG AFTER I STARTED.  

THIS IS MY 1ST POST. IN FACT, FIRST TIME IVE EVER POSTED ANYTHING...ANYWHERE.

FACTS: GABRIEL (RAZ), MALE, 38, HOUSTON, TX.  

I BELIEVE THAT I SUFFER FROM CLUSTER HEADACHES. I'LL BE SEEING THE NEUROLOGIST AGAIN IN OCTOBER.  

IVE SUFFERED EVERY YEAR SINCE 1994...BUT ONLY OCE A YEAR AND FOR ONLY A FEW DAYS.

I WAS TOLD MY HEADACHES WERE A SINUS PROBLEM. SO, I TOO A TAR LOAD OF PSUEDOPHEDRINE AND TYLENOL...AFTER A FEW HOURS, IT WENT AWAY. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE MEDS AT FIRST, BUT THE RELIEF WAS JUST TOO SUDDEN.  

THE FOLLOWING YEAR THE SAME THING: INSANE PAIN ON ONE SIDE OF MY HEAD, EYEBALL POPPING OUT, NOSE RUNNING, HOT (HOT) TEARS POURING, AND ALAS RUNNING AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF.

LAST YEAR, THE DOCTOR(NEURO) DIAG ME W/ MIGRAINES. SHE PRESCRIBED AMITRIPTYLINE HCL 25MG AS A THERAPUTIC MEASURE AND ZOMIG 2.5MG DISOLVABLE TABLETS AS AN ABORTIVE MEASURE.

SOMETIMES THE ZOMIG WORKS; OTHER TIMES IT DOES NOTHING. I DO HAVE QUESTION AS TO WEATHER OR NOT ITS CLUSTERS THAT I SUFFER FROM. SOME OF THESE THINGS LAST UP TOWARD 8 HOURS. IN THAT TIME THEY WILL LET OFF A LITTLE AND ILL THINK THEY ARE GOING AWAY, THEN WAMO, IM A CHICKEN AGAIN.

SO HERE IS MY MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION:

WHAT DO I TELL THE DOCTOR TO HAVE HER AT LEAST CONSIDER THE POSSIBILITY THAT I MIGHT SUFFER FROM CH.  

IM CONSIDERING GOING TO THE E.R. AGAIN. I HAD A BAD HEADACHE THIS MORNING WHEN I WOKE BUT LASTED ONLY 30 MIN OR SO (NOT USUAL). THE MORNING ONES CAN LAST A WHILE. IM SURE THAT I WILL WAKE WITH ONE. I CAN FEEL IT WAITING IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD…PROBABLY WAITING FOR THE MOMENT THAT I AM ENTERING BLISSFUL SLEEP TO TURN ME INTO A CHICKEN AGAIN.

SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG.  

RAZ
IP Logged

GRS
Omer
New Board Newbie
Israel 

I little pride, so we won't have to borrow

Email

Re: ZOMIG AND MIGRAINES -VS- IMITREX AND CH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 5:19am »

Dear RAZ hi,
I think a lot of us have difficulties making our doctor to open their head and think in another direction.
My solution: type "cluster headache" in wikipadia, print it all, go to the doctor and insist that before any  conversation will be held, he must read the prints, after doing so and again before any conversation, ask him if he ever heared about the syndrom... hoping it will give you some prespective regarding his creativity ability in looking at something new and maybe even learn (the best way to do so, is to send him the prints even a day or two before your meeting) and then ask. I think you'll find that even if he never heared about it, some of them make a hugh effort learning before diagnos (not every day he can say he saw a CHS), and it is a good opertunity for him as well for you.
Well if he knew about it before your visit... you may find a well thoguht doc. who sicks with knowledge the best solution, if you get a "don't tell me' I'll tell you" attiude... then you know it's not the one for you.
hope to help,
Omer
IP Logged

What if I told you that it's the best it can get?!?
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 8:32am »

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/ha2006.pdf  

Turn on your printer: this article is 64 pages and covers, Dx, meds, characteristics, and lots of medical background information which a good doc will appreciate.

The author is a Chicago area doc who operates a headache clinic. He has two books, the first one written for M.D.s.
------------------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $59 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Raz
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 9:23am »

Ironic, that’s what i had in mind...both ideas. I'll slip the doctor some information before hand. I  just didn’t know where to start.  

I'm on top of that literature... like yesterday.  

I see why so many clusterheads appreciate this site. I sure as hell don’t want CH or to be a clusterhead, but the similarities are to common, even for my extremely healthy sense of denial. But, if it is confirmed, I'll be back frequently.

They (CH) freak me out now. I use to be able to predict them...every October or November. But, the past two years...no predictability. The only thing I can predict is the approximate time of day that it will occur. 1-3am and/or 1-3pm... and occasionally, I’ll get some indication before i lay down to keep a zomig by my pillow.

Thanks for your assistance    
IP Logged

GRS
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss