Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « advice? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   advice?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: advice?  (Read 215 times)
retrosniffles
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

advice?
« on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, my name is Sean.
I have had these things for 5 years, always diagnosed as sinus problems.  I found this site after reading about clusters on wikipedia and furthur searching. (yay!) I have tried things like sinus buster, but i might as well eat a ball of wasabi (which i also tried).  It was like having a stomach ache and getting my toe stomped on as a cure.  I tried kudzu and that did dampen them a bit but still hurts.  Other homeopathic remedies didn't fair too well either.
 Now, for my questions.  How do you talk to a doctor so he will believe that this isn't sinus or something else?  What kind of doctor should I talk too to get oxygen or something that might work?  

Thanks.  I'm glad to find people that know what it's like.  Most people tell me that i can't be feeling too bad or think I just have a low pain tolerance.  I beg to differ.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: advice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:19pm »

Get a referral to a nuerologist who is familiar with other Cluster Headache patients - that way you can rule out potential other issues. Then the neuro should be able to get you a prescription for Imitrex and Oxygen and an appropriate preventive.

Most GP's aren't familiar enough and unless you have a great relationship with your GP they imply won't go off your word, from internet research to prescribe for you.

Good luck!

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:20pm »

Hello Sean,

Here is a good site to start out with: http://www.ouch-us.org/chinfo1.htm  

On there is also a list of sufferer recommended doctors listed by state AND a colleges letter to help explain just what it is you are going through.  Read through it and it just might help to give it to your doctor to help them understand.

A gp (general practioner) or neuro can prescribe oxygen, it's just getting a good one who's willing to be open minded. Undecided

Take care!
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
retrosniffles
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:27pm »

Hey, thanks.  I guess I can stop going to those ear, nose, throat docs.  
    One more question, how much does oxygen usually run?  I have insurance but if it's not covered, is it really expensive?

Thanks again.

I think I'm only episodic for a month or two a year. I just started getting these again yesterday. I don't know how some of the chronic people can handle this year round.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:39pm »

If you can get an ear eye nose guy to buy into the CH diagnosis you can see if they'll go laong and prescribe. Print off the stuff from the site and take it to them and maybe they'll help you out.

As for O2 costs -- I'm episodic two times a year. I keep tanks year round and I think it runs me aroud $50/month and it includes my refills. They don't run through my insurance - I just pay for them.

Chonics, form what I understand, get through them just like you and me -- one hit at a time and live between the hits.

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:21am »

A useful screening tool when you see a doc: Share this article with him and if you get get some recognition of the meds and agreement on their value with CH you may have found someone to work with.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:21am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss