Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « how does a cycle end? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   how does a cycle end?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how does a cycle end?  (Read 3800 times)
octobermay
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

how does a cycle end?
« on: Oct 6th, 2007, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi,  

i finally got an appointment with a neurologist, but its 2 months away?   i have had this headache for 8 weeks now and it pretty much seems like CH.   if i have CH, then this is my first cycle and i was wondering how the cycle ends.  does the headache(shadows?)  go away suddenly or slowly fade away?  this headache is taking everything out of me and the never ending always there feeling is starting to depress me especially since NOTHING helps and i feel trapped in pain,  so thinking of the end will be something positive for me to look forward to.  thank you.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: how does a cycle end?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 4:40pm »

Hi,

I've never heard of a shadow that lasted 8 weeks.  I've had them persist at differing levels for as much as two weeks but that is rare.  What you describe sounds like constant pain.  Cluster headaches come and go in no more than a few hours at the most.

Have you taken the cluster quiz in the panel on the left?  Treating another condition like a cluster headache can be dangerous.  I just want to make sure you are barking up the right tree.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 4:45pm »

I just went back and re-read your first post.  Assuming you have CH the cycle ends when the pain stops for two weeks.  

Could you be having rebound headaches from other meds you are taking?  That is not uncommon with OTC meds.

I hope you get a break soon.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 9:08am »

For me, my hits get down to 1 a night and then all of a sudden they'll stop.  I don't count it being over though until I've had at least a week with no attacks.  But that's just me. Undecided

Good luck!
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 9:43am »

on Oct 6th, 2007, 4:40pm, DennisM1045 wrote:
Hi,

I've never heard of a shadow that lasted 8 weeks.  I've had them persist at differing levels for as much as two weeks but that is rare.  What you describe sounds like constant pain.  Cluster headaches come and go in no more than a few hours at the most.

Have you taken the cluster quiz in the panel on the left?  Treating another condition like a cluster headache can be dangerous.  I just want to make sure you are barking up the right tree.

-Dennis-

I agree with Dennis make sure you are treating the rite condition first and formost.

Dave
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 12:19pm »

I recommend starting a headache diary. Is it really the same headache lasting 8 weeks, or is it coming and going at different levels of intensity and different types of pain? The diary will help you answer that question and also will help the doctor to properly diagnose you.

Good luck to you. Nuts that they can’t see you any sooner.

~Kris
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
MvT
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Computer Technician

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 2:15pm »

http://symptoms.webmd.com/symptomchecker

might be worth a try as well....

or google ch wiki
IP Logged

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 9:27pm »

My husband had his first cycle last year and it just didnt seem to want to stop. In fact it went on for 8 months. Since it was his first cycle we had no idea how or when it would stop.

I came to the Board asking your same exact question and I was told that it is different for different people. The common thing though is that either it would go out with a "bang" ie a really really bad hit like a kip 10 following by nothing, or it would slowly dwindle down in both the number of attacks and the intensity of each attack. Most people wouldnt consider the cycle completely gone before 2 whole weeks of no symptom though.

For a while we were hanging out desperately for any sign that the cycle was ending. We had our hope up each and everytime there were some changes to the pattern. However there was much disappointment to have too with such expectation. Every time he had a kip 9 or 10 we would pray that it was the last, only to be crushed by the next one !  

In the end, we just got sick of trying to figure it out. The people of the Board has taught us that the only common denominator for CH is its ability to morph on you! So we stopped guessing and waiting and just carried on with our lives, it would stop when it wanted to. Heck ! It did stop soon after that ! Murphys laws I guess  Roll Eyes

Take care and painfree wishes to you. I hope you get your headaches diagnosed properly soon and that if you indeed have CH, I pray that the cycle will end itself pronto.

Annette
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 10:42pm »

it just does... for me it almost becomes like a "watched pot never boils". Spending too much time obsessing about it makes the time seem longer. Focusing on how to get most out of the time you don't have CH when in cycle is more productive, and then suddenly you realize you've gone a couple or few days without a hit...and it's just gone...till next time.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 10:13am »

As Annette pointed out, we're all different.

Mine go with a whimper, not a bang.  

I'm a very consistent, clockwork episodic, with cycles that last 6-8 weeks.  Past the midpoint, the attacks begin to diminish in frequency and intensity, until I'm only shadowing.  When I've gone 7 days without a hit or a shadow, I do the beer test.  

If I pass, it's over.

I agree with the others--there are things you are describing that sound inconsistent with CH, but I am not a doctor.  Whatever it turns out to be, I hope that you receive appropriate treatment that helps--head pain is no picnic, no matter what's causing it.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
octobermay
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 3:57pm »

HI everyone,  
thank you so much for responding.   1st, I do understand that i might not have CH, and i wont be positive until i am diagnosed by a doctor.  I have tried a lot of things to get rid of it, but nothing specific to CH - ive tried ibuprofen, tylenol, benadryl sinus, magnesium, excedrin migraine, and my dr precribed prednisone to see if that would help, but it didnt.  i am not going to treat it like CH until i am positive thats what i have.  it just takes forever to get an appontment and drs dont have an answer yet, and i seem to be getting somewhere doing the research myself.  

This headache has been going on for 8 1/2 weeks now, but not constant, it comes and goes at different intensities, the same times every day. i dont really have to look at the clock, because i can usually tell what time it is by how i feel.  if i dont have it before i fall asleep, i am guaranteed to wake with a headache.  headaches do wake me up feeling like my head is going to explode. inbetween headaches, there is just a feeling there that something is still there. (i think thats why is seems like its all the time even though its not).  i did the cluster quiz and for the first Qs 1-8 were 7 nos and 1 yes, the second half were 7 yes and 1 no.  at times it feels like a sinus infection, but i have already been told 3 times by different drs that it definately isnt.   but it also feels like its not because it is more around my left eye and temple and my head above it.  during a headache it feels like a chunk of my head is on fire, as a horn is trying to grow out, as piece of my head is sliding off the rest of my head (thats the best way i can describe it.)
for the last couple of days, i havent really had a headache.  i get them but they dont last too long anymore and the intensity is less than the begining of the whole thing, then i am pain free.  they are still at the same times. if i have CH maybe this is the end of the cycle.  i will try starting a headache diary, so have something to bring with me to the neurologist in 2 months.  Thank you so much.
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 4:45pm »

Key point, IMHO, is do you have pain in and around the eye socket and the bone? If not, you most likely are dealing with another ailment. IMHO. I, like others on this board, am not a doctor but have dealt with CH for many, many years.  
Keep your appointment with the neurologist. You need to have a prefessional give you a thorough exam.  
Lastly, for me my cycle fades away [ I am eposodic] much like it began with fewer and fewer CH's and Shadows.
TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
octobermay
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 6:22pm »

hi,   yeah, my pain is definately around my eye socket.  and i think probably in my bone because my jaw hurts like i was grinding my teeth or something, but i know i wasnt.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss