Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Introduction and possible new sufferer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Introduction and possible new sufferer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Introduction and possible new sufferer  (Read 537 times)
StuartL
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Introduction and possible new sufferer
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 7:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm an office/computer worker who's suffered from something that sounds similar to cluster headaches for about three weeks.  There's been no official diagnosys yet although it has been suggested by the UK NHS.  If it seems likely I'll approach my GP with it.

My primary reason for joining this board is to see whether it's likely I'm suffering from cluster headaches.  Of course any help or ideas any of you can offer would be great.

In summary I've been getting a sharp pain behind my right eye (feels like increasing pressure on the temple) approximately twice a day one day in three.  This means for approximately two out of three days I'm fine.  The gap between the headaches seems to be almost spot on 2.5 days although it's circumstantially triggered by heavy exercise (I play badminton fairly competitively) and the worst ones are a few hours after I've exercised.

I almost always get tears in my right eye during a headache, although I've had a watery right eye sporadically for as long as I can remember.

A few times I've been woken up by the headaches and those times have always been about 6:30am.  In those cases a combination of fluids (squash), breakfast and paracetomol seem to have helped but the headache has recurred a few hours later.

Looking at the diary I've since made there's definite patterns:

1) Exercise seems to trigger them (they have occurred three times after heavy exercise).

2) Food seems to help (they've always gone shortly after eating).

3) Blood pressure seems to be unrelated (they've occurred when it's been high and low).

4) Blood sugar has been down each time but never at a level that would be considered 'low'.

At times of suffering bright lights are positively painful, noise is uncomfortable and company is usually unwelcome.  However I'm never sleepy/drowsy at the time of the headache, only afterwards.

I don't think I've suffered from the droopy eyelid or mucus from the nose and I've never been in enough pain to scream in agony.  The pain is nothing like my broken wrist a few years ago (it was a particularly bad and painful break) but is serious enough to prevent driving, walking around and general communication.  At the worst times my body feels very 'fragile' and I feel like I'm shaking, although my girlfriend tells me that I don't look/feel like I'm actually doing so.

What do you think?  What's your guess as to the likelihood of this being a cluster headache patch?  At the moment I'm hovering around 60-80% certainty...
IP Logged
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

Re: Introduction and possible new sufferer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 8:05am »

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear that you're suffering with these headaches. Have you tried the cluster survey on the left?

Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell whether or not it is ch because it varies from person to person. What I would suggest is that you get to your GP and get the ball rolling for a diagnosis straight away. Having newly been diagnosed myself (only 6 weeks ago or so), I know how long it can take, especially with headaches as there are a number of different types and it can be difficult for a GP to tell the difference. Keep a headache diary from now as this will make it easier to diagnose.

After about 6 months of being bashed around the NHS system, I decided to pay to see a BUPA neurologist.  

Good luck!

Em
IP Logged

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.
- Moliere

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 10:39am »

There are so many different forms of headaches, your diagnosis can be the toughest part. Definitely get in to see the neuro and start excluding all the other possibilities, that's when the focus can start to narrow down.

For now, keep some energy drinks on hand, any that contain the combination of caffeine and taurine, Monster, Rock Star, etc., slam one of those down at the first hint of a head ache. Many can abort a headache with just that. The fect that they come on as you start to relax is a possible CH indicator, many refer to that as the "let down" attack. Strong coffee at the first hint of a headache also works for many.  

Keep the headache diary going, read up on the KIP sclae on the left and make notes of when the headaches start, how fast they build, how high the peak is, how long it stays at its peak and how fast it leaves. The diagnosis is often in the details.  

Good luck, hoping you don't have CH but if it turns out you do DON'T LOSE THIS WEBSITE!!! Grin

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
ogphat
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 3:36pm »

Well my name is Stephen and I am 20 although I dont know if age has to do anything with but i have some questions about the cluster headaches stuff i was wondering if it can last for 3 weeks with more the 10 attacks a day cuz i get them like ever 20 to 30 seconds some are mild and some make me wince and a couple of times my leg twitched bad when it hit so i was wonderin if it the same thing or should i be extra worried
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 5:46pm »

Stuart,  

Click on this link   http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html

and also take the cluster quiz.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/quiz.html
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss