Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi  (Read 1542 times)
KimberH
New Board Newbie
USA 

Life is what you make it....

Hi
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 2:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am Kimberly and I suffer from Headaches.   I at one time was diagnosed with CH but have had a poor phycisian that treated me for the longest for migrains and was close minded to anything else.  Since then I have changed Dr. and still don't know where I stand besides the fact that I was hospitalized for 10 days just recently for what seemed like the most horrible pain like that of last year & all the way back to 2002...  I am currently on Topamax 200mg, Verapamil 120mg (tappering off), Amitryptaline 75mg (tappering off), Dilantin 300mg, Indomethicin 25mg three times a day.  I feel like a walking pharmacy as well as to abort the pain I take Dilaudid by mouth 8mg.  

I am weak lately due to my stay in the hospital and still can't hold a full days work.  Today was my first day back I work as a Nurse in an OR in Powell WY.  I got hit 4 hours into the shift I got sweaty and it came on all of the sudden.  I spent the next 40min trying to disappear I am thankful to have staff that care but the pain just kept coming and I left for home.

I am not here for sympathy just telling my story and like others looking for answers.  I appreciate any advise that you might have.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 3:06pm »

Welcome,

since you are in a healthcare environment have you ever tried 15 lpm of O2 using  a non-rebreather mask to abort a headache. Also, if it is clusterheadache I'm surprised I didn't see Imitrex on your list. Between O2 and Imitrex these two abortives allow many of us to not even bother with preventatives like your list.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
KimberH
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 3:28pm »

I do have O2 and nonrebreather masks that I use majority of the time they are greatly effective except this time.  My last Dr. took me off of the Imitrex said they were causing rebound HA and put me on Ralpax well it turned out to not take this horrible HA away and I suffered.  I have Imitrex in small supply but the Dr. that I am with now is still unsure what He wants to call this so Dilaudid is all he leaves me with to abort the HA...
The meds I am on now I am so unsure if they are what stopped it or if the cycle is just ending.  All I know is the hits still follow but these I can handle.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 3:53pm »

on Oct 31st, 2007, 3:28pm, KimberH wrote:
I do have O2 and nonrebreather masks that I use majority of the time they are greatly effective except this time.  My last Dr. took me off of the Imitrex said they were causing rebound HA and put me on Ralpax well it turned out to not take this horrible HA away and I suffered.  I have Imitrex in small supply but the Dr. that I am with now is still unsure what He wants to call this so Dilaudid is all he leaves me with to abort the HA...
The meds I am on now I am so unsure if they are what stopped it or if the cycle is just ending.  All I know is the hits still follow but these I can handle.

D's don't work.You should know this stuff,Get some oxygen goin.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 4:18pm »

Quote:
D's don't work.You should know this stuff,Get some oxygen goin.

Thanks for saying it for me Potter.

Kim,  You said your were hospitalized for 10 days.  

Because of CH?  

You said you weren't after sympathy but wanted advice, so I have to ask you what did they do for you for 10 days?  Some here go into the hospital for the DHE  IV, but I don't think it's for that long...You also said you were given Dilaudid which you know is a very strong narcotic and you sure shouldn't be at work in a hospital while under the influence of that,  much less driving.   I would suspect rebounds from that drug alone.

Can you tell us more?  Also I am very sorry that you  have such a poor physician and that he is not seemingly interested in doing the research in order to treat you more effectively.  There is a lot of info right here that you can print out and take to him...or see someone else that is more familiar with CH.

http://www.ouch-us.org/chinfo1.htm

Linda Howell
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2007, 4:19pm by Linda_Howell » IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
KimberH
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 8:50pm »

Please Help me to know what is DHE???  I have only been pushed when hospitalized to help stop the pain...I don't really remember much of the time but do know that Dilaudid PCA and by mouth is all that I was ever given and never seemed to get better as you well know...  I saddly didn't have a thought of how to stop the pain but know that dilaudid eased it in the past... Undecided  Forgive my ignoriance.  People in the hospital were so at a loss of how to help and I was so doped up I didn't know if I was coming or going.  My Dr. just kept pushing more Solumedrol and more other drugs and still nothing was helping it was thanks to my mom who took me out of the hospital and got an appt. with a DR. who said No Dilaudid IV he was out for the heart of the problem.  I am just still in limbo...  with him is all...  This guy is new as of this time and I am trying him out since the last wouldn't listen...  I only take Dilaudid when at my worst and yes I go home no pt care or driving promise....
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 10:41pm »

on Oct 31st, 2007, 8:50pm, KimberH wrote:
Please Help me to know what is DHE???  I have only been pushed when hospitalized to help stop the pain...I don't really remember much of the time but do know that Dilaudid PCA and by mouth is all that I was ever given and never seemed to get better as you well know...  I saddly didn't have a thought of how to stop the pain but know that dilaudid eased it in the past... Undecided  Forgive my ignoriance.  People in the hospital were so at a loss of how to help and I was so doped up I didn't know if I was coming or going.  My Dr. just kept pushing more Solumedrol and more other drugs and still nothing was helping it was thanks to my mom who took me out of the hospital and got an appt. with a DR. who said No Dilaudid IV he was out for the heart of the problem.  I am just still in limbo...  with him is all...  This guy is new as of this time and I am trying him out since the last wouldn't listen...  I only take Dilaudid when at my worst and yes I go home no pt care or driving promise....

Your verbage is vaguely familiar.

Potter
IP Logged

Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 10:50pm »

I am sorry Kim you are in such pain. Dilaudid will just dope you but will not make the beast go away. I really think you need to see other Doctor, one that is willing to work with you. Here is some information you can show to your Doctor in your next appointment:

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Good Luck and pain free days and nights for you..

Rosy.

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
KimberH
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 11:08pm »

Thanks Rosy this information along with more that I have printed from the site has given me much to read and provide when I go to my two week follow up.  I will hopefully see what this Dr. has in mind and see if he thinks that I am on the right track I would like to see that in the future DHE be used if I can show him what I have found and get through...  I will also see what changes he makes if any...   UndecidedYou and Linda provided me with some good information... Thanks...
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 1:51pm »

Here is another link to the DHE treatment that goes into a little more depth.  

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BJI/is_9_30/ai_63125273

I find it so hard to believe that any Dr. would admit you to a hospital and do nothing but pump you full od narcotics for 10 whole days.  That seems so wrong.  

Everyone here was new to this condition of ours,  at the beginning, but we found out things and researched like crazy and lots of us had a hand in putting forth all the info that is at our fingertips here and on  OUCH.   When we were educated about CH...we then were able to educate our Dr.s or at the very least know when to get a new Dr. who would work with us in our treatment.

So now...go do a lot of reading to the links to the left of here,  Kim.  There will be a pop quiz next week.   Grin

Linda  
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2007, 8:44pm »

Kim,

Your writing sounds familiar to me, too.  Were you here last year around the same time?

Cyn
IP Logged
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 11:14am »

Kim... You mentioned earlier you had a two week follow-up appt with your doc. I was just wondering how that went, and if you found anyhting more out?

Keep us posted!
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 11:58am »

Kim from Bridger Mt. The drama continues.

Potter
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 7:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I work as a Nurse in an OR

Quote:
Please Help me to know what is DHE???

Hmmmmm ????
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 7:17pm »

on Nov 9th, 2007, 7:11pm, chewy wrote:

Hmmmmm ????

I would like a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Potter
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:44pm »

Her profile says she's in Wyoming now.

Have we been duped?    If so,  I hate it when  people try to help with all good intentions ...and this is the result.   Angry
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:29pm »

Quote:
Kim from Bridger Mt.

Thats one hell of a commute to work every day.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:44pm »

on Nov 9th, 2007, 8:44pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Her profile says she's in Wyoming now.

Have we been duped?    If so,  I hate it when  people try to help with all good intentions ...and this is the result.   Angry
Ain't the first time and not the last time,but yeah we been duped.

Potter
IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:46pm »

on Nov 9th, 2007, 9:29pm, chewy wrote:

Thats one hell of a commute to work every day.
Less than 50 miles.

Potter
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 11:32pm »

Quote:
Less than 50 miles.  

Really?

Back to Geography - R -Us for me then.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 10:36am »

on Oct 31st, 2007, 2:51pm, KimberH wrote:
I am currently on Topamax 200mg, Verapamil 120mg (tappering off), Amitryptaline 75mg (tappering off), Dilantin 300mg, Indomethicin 25mg three times a day.  I feel like a walking pharmacy as well as to abort the pain I take Dilaudid by mouth 8mg.  

I am weak lately due to my stay in the hospital and still can't hold a full days work.  Today was my first day back I work as a Nurse in an OR in Powell WY.  .

I would avoid the Hospital in Powell. OR nurses sew people up, with all them drugs in ya you couldn't tie your own shoes.

Potter
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2007, 10:36am by vietvet2tours » IP Logged

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 11:29pm »

(((Kim))) are you ok?

Everyone, she sounds really drugged up, this is not how she really is.  

I hope you get some proper treatment soon.

Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
chewy

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 10:43am »

What part dont you get?
IP Logged
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 11:30pm »

Kim - You don't sound good - not the least bit like yourself. I'm concerned......
IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 12:09am »

Liz and Paul must know something we don't, I guess.   Undecided
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss