Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 623 times)
Artimus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello
« on: Nov 17th, 2007, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

My name is Drew, and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I am in the right place.

I've never gotten headaches in my life, up until about 3 months ago, where I would start to get a severe pounding on the left frontal side of my head, reaching down to behind and around the eye socket.  Over time, these headaches increased in severity and frequency, but always in the same location, and I am up to 6-8 a week.

CT, MRI, Bloodwork all come back clear, Propranolol doesn't seem to work, and it seems that the best solution that I have (maybe I should say the lesser of bad solutions?) is a combination of Imitrex pills, Morphine, and Tramadol, but I HATE this drugged feeling and am completely useless for a good portion of the day.  It wasn't until I took a trip to the ER this past Thursday that a doctor suggested CH.  Having never heard of the condition, I looked it up and ran across this great website.

I can agree with many of your posts and can empathize with many of you.

I have my first neurologist appointment on Monday, and I am hoping for the best (or at least the most expeditious solution possible).

Thank you for having this website available.  It has brought at least a little comfort in my life to know that there are others with similar pains.  I will update after my appointment on Monday.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 10:13am »

Hey there Drew,

There is also a cluster quiz over to the left, 4th button down.  Take that and let us know the results.  Doctors aren't always the best educated in this condition, and many aren't worth the time or money spent at their offices.  

Please tell us more about your headaches.  How long does each one last?  Nature of the pain.  Any other symptoms that come along with the pain? What is your reaction to the pain?

Welcome to our humble home on the net.  Sorry you are in pain.  But if you do have CH, this is the best place to learn how to cope and find relief.

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Artimus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 11:35am »

Hi Redd,

I took the quiz and I think all answers matched except for 4 and 8.  The nausea... I'm not sure about.  I'm not really nauseated, but do have the urge to dry heave on occasion, which is often exascerbated by the vicodin that my first doctor prescribed for me (I have since switched to morphine .. actually, a hydromorphone, to be more exact).  I do typically want to stay away from bright lights when I do have attacks, they especially bother my left eye (the side where I have my headaches).

Each episode lasts anywhere from 1-2 hours, I'm guessing.  I usually don't get a chance to see a clock and am usually writhing around in too much pain to care.  The pain is always behind my eye, up through my temple (left side).  Throbbing, pulsating, deep pains.  Often feels like someone is punching me ... behind my eyeball.. other pains ... um... like very localized... kind of like someone beating me with something blunt... but narrow... not like a bat... more like the shaft of a golf iron?  I dunno exactly.  It is overwhelming, for sure (9-10 on the kip scale, which is a very cool scale, I must say).

Other symptoms?  Not much.  Just pain... and more pain.  And my reactions?  hm.  Writhing around, grabbing things and squeezing, screaming, crying, whimpering, moaning (as a former US Marine, these past few are kind of difficult to admit), you name it.

That's about all that comes to mind right now.  Thanks for your reply.  Any other questions or comments?  I do agree that a forum like this is one of the, if not THE best places to learn to cope and find relief, as you said, Redd.  Thanks for your time Smiley
IP Logged
Artimus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 11:40am »

Ah, I just remembered...

The first signs of my headache are characterized by a small, sometimes painful, but sometimes not, thumping on my left temple.

It's at this point, I try and take the Imitrex as fast as possible, along with my Hydromorphone and Tramadol, but it's always too late, as the full attack comes within 10-15 minutes after the first thumps, and the medication takes a good hour to set in for me.  The pain usually lasts for a good 2 hours or so, and I know it fades quickly, but by that time, the morphine has kicked in and I generally pass out for a few hours.  The morphine doesn't do much for the headache or the pain...   but it does help me rest after attacks.

Hope this helps, as well.
IP Logged
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 11:53am »

Welcome aboard, Drew! But I'm sorry pain brought you here!  Undecided

By what you've described, it sure sounds like cluster headaches. Get yourself in to see a GOOD neurologist, and get the proper diagnosis!
   I'm one that gets rather sensitive to light too. Though it's not "normal", everyone is just a litle bit different. And like you said, it's most sensitive on the pain side. I actually told an E.R. doc while he was examining me during a hit "If you put that light in my left eye, I'm gonna hit ya!!". He didn't, so I didn't.  Grin
   It might be worth a shot to try chugging down an energy drink at the first sign of a hit. Red Bull, Monster, or any E-drink with the combo Taurine and caffeine. Many of us, myself included, have found that to be very effective in abouting a headache. Drink it quick, and at the first sign it's coming! If it works for you, it might help hold you off until you can see a neuro, and get on a good preventative.
   I won't flood you with too much info all at once, just be sure to read all you can here and on the OUCH site (link on the left in yellow). The info you take in can help you and your doc come up with the correct diagnosis, and get you on the road to recovery!
   Got more questions? Feel free to ask! We'll help you out in any way we can!

Best wishes,
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 11:57am »

I'm also wanting to add... Try to stay away from the morphine. Heavy narcotics have been shown to cause rebound headaches in a lot of people. It should be used as a last resort, IF AT ALL! There's better and safer alternatives out there. Check out the "Oxygen info" link, also on the left. That's probably the number one abortive used for these headaches.

Best,
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
Artimus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 2:36pm »

Adam,

Thanks for the info - lots of great stuff to soak up (esp. about the narcotics and energy drinks).  When I go to the neurologist on Monday, I will bring up CH, oxygen treatments, as well as the thousand other questions I will have.

Any further pointers that anyone else could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again, all~
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 3:34pm »

Hi Artimus! welcome aboard!!

Take this info to your Doctor in your next appointment, it will help clear up a lot of questions for you and him. We must be our best advocates and if you do have CH demand O2!

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

The constant usage of Imitrex might cause rebound headaches.

Wishing you lots of pain free time!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Artimus
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 7:29pm »

Rosy,

Wow, great site.  Thanks so much for the heads up.  The more I read about the Oxygen, the more appealing it sounds.  I dread this drugged feeling almost as much as I dread the headaches, themselves.  Both leave me incapacitated and pretty much useless.  The oxygen idea sounds great.

Thanks again!  You guys are great!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss