Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Back again after 3 PF yrs »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Back again after 3 PF yrs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Back again after 3 PF yrs  (Read 573 times)
yhliem
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Canadian ClusterHead

Email

Back again after 3 PF yrs
« on: Nov 26th, 2007, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,  

I'm 34, born in Stuttgart, Germany and have lived in the Vancouver, BC area for the last 32 years.    

I first found this site 3 years ago during my last ch bout shortly after discovering exactly why I was getting crippling headaches at the same time every day for weeks on end.  I don't know how long it actually lasted but it felt like eternity x7 (I'm sure you all can relate).  

After 3 gloriously PF years the beast returned with a vengance a few nights ago.  As a CH I've never had night time issues before, but my welcome back to CH-hood hit at around 2 am, somewhere between a 7 and 8 on the Kip Scale.    

Since then the little beastie's been all over the map in terms of timing an intensity.    

Anyhow, just thought that I'd (re-)introduce myself and wish everyone a bushel of PF days.  

Yen-Hsen
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2007, 5:20pm by yhliem » IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Back again after 3 PF yrs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 4:43pm »

Welcome back!

I'm so sorry for the reason, however.  That first one must have been a real shock after so long pain free.  I, for one, pray that you get relief soon!

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:08pm »

Welcome back, please tell us a little bit about your treatment plan, what you use for preventative medications, what you use for abortive medications, what has and hasn't worked in the past. The combined sharing is what makes the board so useful. You may teach us something we might be able to point you in a new direction.

So sorry you're back, I'm with Ray, hope the cycle is short and sweet for you!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:44pm »

Sorry to hear you're getting hit again, but welcome back.

Sounds as if the night horrors are a new thing for you.  If you haven't already done so, you might consider trying melatonin.  Most of us who use it use somewhere between 6-12 mg, taken an hour before bedtime.  Those for whom it works generally report that it reduces the number of nighttime hits that they get.  

In my case, since better than 90 percent of the hits I get occur at night, melatonin reduces the number of hits I get during a cycle overall.

No, it's not 100%.  I still get hit, but it does make the cycle easier to get through.  

I'm more conservative than most, here, as far as the treatment options I'll consider.  Since my cycles last, at most, 6-8 weeks, and I've never been chronic, I'll only consider things that:

a) Do not seem to lengthen the cycle.
b) Do not increase the number or intensity of hits due to "rebounds".
c) Have a minimum number of side-effects.
d) Are effective.  (In my experience. )

Melatonin, at least for me, qualifies on all counts.  It's a valuable addition to my CH arsenal.

Hope this may be of some help.

Best wishes,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
yhliem
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Canadian ClusterHead

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:45pm »

Thanks for the welcome back. Smiley

Unfortunately I haven't found anything that works reliably, be it preventative, transient, or abortive.  Even pure O2 is, at best, hit or miss with me.  

A friend of mine who, as it turns out, is also a CH said her doctor suggested 2 Advil & 2 Tylenol at the first sign of a shadow as an abortive measure.  I'm trying it out but this cycle seems to be wildly inconsistent as compared to the last so it's tough to know if the treat ment is actually working or if i'm just experiencing the Shadow with more to come later.

I've been fortunate (??!) so far in that the worst of the attack happen at night and not while I'm at work.  However, nothing seems to work for the late night attacks.  

I've been waking up in the neighbourhood of Kip 8 or 9 which leaves me with enough of my wits about me to curl into the fetal position and moan to myself while trying to crush my own skull.

So far I've had about 8 Shadows and 3 full-blown attacks in the last 24-36 hrs.  It's going to be a fun night tonight.
IP Logged

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 7:02pm »

You hang tough. Maybe try melatonin to help with the night hits.
thebb
all the best
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 7:23pm »

Quote:
her doctor suggested 2 Advil & 2 Tylenol at the first sign of a shadow as an abortive measure.

You would do your friend a favor by suggesting that she get a new Dr.   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 10:34am »

I have to agree with Linda there, this doc sounds like he's grabbing at straws.  

I use lithium as a preventative medication when on cycle. At 1200 mg a day it blocks up to 90% of my hits. Others have posted success using a combo of lithium and verapamil as their preventative.

Have you tried imitrex injectables to abort the really bad hits? Expensive but they work great. And like George said, many have posted a dramatic reduction in the number of nite time attacks by using melatonin, certainly worth a shot. Also consider a magnesium supplement, along with calcium. I've noticed an improvement in quality of cycles since I started that regimen and several others on the board have posted similar results.  

None of these are "miracle cures" but added together they increase overall quality of life. Hang in there.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

yhliem
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Canadian ClusterHead

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 10:48am »

on Nov 26th, 2007, 7:23pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

You would do your friend a favor by suggesting that she get a new Dr.   Roll Eyes

Normally I would, except this treatment seems to work for her.   And I don't know enough about her case to make any kind of recommendation anyways.  

Ultimately, if it seems to work, go with it. Right?
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2007, 10:51am by yhliem » IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 11:17am »

[b]Ultimately, if it seems to work, go with it. Right? [/b]

Truer words were never spoken!!!!!! If it works, don't mess with it. (But ALWAYS ALWAYS keep reading and learning. You never know when your current regimen will break down and you'll need a new arsenal!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

yhliem
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Canadian ClusterHead

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 2:38pm »

ugh ...bad night last night.  No full blown hits, but about 5 shadows that were intense enough to wake me up and keep me from going to sleep until they passed.  Def. going to try the melatonin.

Gotta find a Doctor in my area too.  I just moved about 30 miles away from my last GP who isn't very experienced with CHs anyways.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 7:54am »

Hello Yen-Hsen,

First off, I'm sorry your getting slammed.  

Secondly, about the OTC pain killers.  They might stave off shadows, but I 100% doubt they'll stop a CH attack.  If they do, then none of us would be here...  Besides, they take too long to work and can cause rebound headaches.  (do a search)

Anyway, what meds/treatments have you tried besides the O2?  I agree that you need to do much reading and learning of what is helping other sufferers here as you seem stuck on what to do next.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007, 7:55am by Melissa » IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss