Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I can't believe I'm here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I can't believe I'm here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I can't believe I'm here  (Read 484 times)
CH_sis_and_dd
New Board Newbie
USA 

Why does life have to get in the way of living?

Email

I can't believe I'm here
« on: Nov 26th, 2007, 11:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had posted a while back about my brother who suffers greatly from CH (he is in the hospital right now) and my father who did suffer.  Well, a lot has happened since then.  I ended up in the ER.  I went to the ER because my normally low heart rate became alarmingly low--46.  While enduring the 2 hour wait to be triaged, I developed Horner's and this pain that just about did me in.  I couldn't lay my head on a pillow.  It was then that I realized it was clusters.  Of course by the time they triaged me the pain had kicked in and my HR and BP (which was also very low) were in "normal" range.

After 6 hours in the ER they dx. me as migraine sufferer and I just wanted to get out of there.  Three days later I was awakened out of sleep with such a horrid headache.  All the times I had seen my brother and father endure this came back to haunt me.  All I could think about was the my wonderful DH and children did not deserve this.

My dr. referred me to a neurologist and I was so ready to start the nightmare of finding someone who would believe me. If you can believe it, I got very lucky.  He dx. me with CPH and although he claimed they were not clusters, my family dr. had a book and said they were in the cluster family.

As with many of you--looking back I realized I had a episode back in my 20's.  Was dx. as sinus infections, but why wouldn't the Darvacet at least stop the pain at the time?  I even had the bleed throughs on my face like my father (and now my brother).

I almost hate to post, that so far indomethacin has helped me.  It doesn't stop the symptoms, but it does hold off the pain if I take it soon enough.

I am hoping to go to my brother's dr. in Houston, not for treatment, but to see if he would like to do some research. I am nothing like my brother in appearance,personality or habits.

Anyway, that's me.  I'll be checking in.  Right now I'm more worried about my brother than myself.

Sar
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: I can't believe I'm here
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Time to start doing some coherent reading/learning.
---------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $59 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.
=============

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/ha2006.pdf Dr. Robbins site. Then explore the entire site by deleting everything following. com/ and then hit enter.
======================================================================== =
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf
===============
http://www.medifocushealth.com/NR019/index.php

Good source of medical information on a broad range of serious medical conditions. Worth exploring.
This link direct to CH.
(Thanks to "DrBB" for directing to this site, 11/07.)

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2007, 9:00am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss