Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How I cope and retain what sanity I have... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How I cope and retain what sanity I have...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How I cope and retain what sanity I have...  (Read 1908 times)
Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

How I cope and retain what sanity I have...
« on: Dec 17th, 2007, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ahhh...we're such a courageous and resourceful bunch aren't we? I've been thinking a lot lately about some of the little things I do (non-medicinal) and have done, to cope with my chronic CH. Although they may sound silly, these things really have made a difference in my attitude and the quality of my life.

My husband and I are empty-nester's now with our children and grandchild living back in Canada. I am semi-retired from owning a business. I still see clients once in awhile but, thanks to the unpredictability of this condition, I schedule around my ch as best I can. Never gonna be rich but who gives a shit?

Not giving advice here, just thought I'd share a bit. My post is kind of long but it sure was fun doing it...Smiley

So, here are some of Miz D's tips and tricks to wring every ounce of joy out of every pain free moment:

1.Play with my puppy 1st thing when I get up...gets me laughing no matter how tired I am from night hits.
2.Dream up new martini concoctions for those rare times that I can actually have one.
3.Have small casual dinner parties (even if we just order in pizza) with friends so I'm nice and close to the 02 tank.
4.Putter in my garden and try to grow things (especially lovely flowers) when I feel and look, like shit...no makeup required!
5.Ask my wonderful hubby to read to me from whatever current novel I am reading while sucking on 02 and waiting for meds to kick in.
6.Take Buddha (my pup) for a ride through town...top down, music blaring...even if only for 15 minutes between hits.
7.Try different hobbies
8.Take short, little classes and workshops at the local community college  
9.Change the name of “demon” or the “beast” to Mr. Owie ...somehow this makes it a little more manageable and I don't feel as scared of him/it with a name like that
10.Ask an understanding friend to take me for a drive in the countryside...(I love being a passenger, I find extremely relaxing and this works wonders for me especially when I get hit 10-13 times a day and am too fatigued to do anything for myself).  
11.Got to lunch at my favourite restaurant
12.Create a writing group
13.Work on a personal website
14.Clean and redesign a room in my house...makes me feel like I accomplished something.
15.Make or buy a friend a little gift...nothing expensive but something I think they'll really enjoy
16.Paint my toenails a bright colour, usually something glittery cause I like the bling!
17.Shop online or in person if I feel up to it...nothing like getting myself a little prezzie
18.Visit the ch.com website and read the message boards
19.Call Linda at family services and have her listen sympathetically to my ranting and rambling...(thanks again luv)
20.Mediate
21.Go to a “yoga for healing” class  
22.Get a massage
23.Call up an old friend and ask them how THEY are doing and find out what's going on with them
24.Try on some of my fancy dress clothes that I never get to wear and parade in front of hubby when he's watching tv
25.Turn the reggae music up loud and dance around the livingroom.
26.Start a 'chronic pain support group'
27.Go out just for coffee and desert
28.Volunteer locally to help build (much needed) dog parks on Maui
29.Visit the humane society and share some uninhibited, unconditional love (and yes, that's where buddha came from) with its furry residents
30.Throw paint on canvas and call it painting
31.Make greeting cards from some of my favourite photographs that I like to take
32.Go to the bakery and just hang out with the smells
33.Send my hubby emails while he's at work to tell him I'm thinking about him
34.Get a new tattoo
35.Travel whenever possible
36.Go to a wig store and try on different hairstyles just for fun
37.Make an “in the event of my death”video...sounds morbid but it was a hoot....guess you had to be there...
38.Give nicknames to inanimate objects
39.Visit an art gallery and act like I can afford to buy something
40.Look myself straight in the eye in the mirror and wink
41.Spend an afternoon at the lavender farm

Well, that's what comes to mind at the moment...I'm sure there's lots more but its time for lunch. If you feel so inclined, I'd love to know what others do to bring a smile to their face and transcend their pain if only for a short time.

IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: How I cope and retain what sanity I have...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 6:49pm »

41 of them too.  That is a super great attitude Danielle.

Never let the beast win.  Never give up on life because of him/her and live life between the hits.

Glad you had fun writing these bewcause I sure had fun reading them.   You go girl.!!!!!!!!!

Linda
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2007, 6:50pm by Linda_Howell » IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 8:41pm »

That is some inspiring list Danielle!  Thanks for sharing it.  We all need to remember to live each pain free moment.

For me it is as simple as hearing the laughter of one of my kids or making my wife blush.  Nothing too grand.  Just the simple stuff of life.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:53pm »

Great post! Only one problem:

2. There are only two flavors of martini - gin and vodka. Anything else isn't a martini. Grin
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 11:04pm »

on Dec 17th, 2007, 10:53pm, brewcrew wrote:
Great post! Only one problem:

2. There are only two flavors of martini - gin and vodka. Anything else isn't a martini. Grin

Funny you should mention this.  I'm reading an Ann Rule book right now, and one of the prosecuting attorneys in it made up weird drinks as a hobby.  Two of his martini flavors were tiramisu, and Key Lime Pie.  Not advocating, just sayin' .  Maybe it's something only a lawyer could love.

Great list, Danielle--I particularly liked #37:

Quote:
37.Make an “in the event of my death”video...sounds morbid but it was a hoot....guess you had to be there..

I like your sense of humor.  

Best wishes,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 2:09am »

Glad you liked it Linda...talking to you inspired me

Dennis - I'm not even going to ask HOW you make your wife blush...

Brewcrew - I know, I know...but i'm a heathen!

George - What the book called? "Key Lime Pie" sounds yummy...

Just reread my list and realized #20 should read "meditate" not "mediate"!  laugh
IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 2:14am »

on Dec 18th, 2007, 2:09am, Miz_D wrote:

George - What the book called? "Key Lime Pie" sounds yummy...

"Too Late to Say Goodbye".  Ann Rule writes true crime non-fiction.  Just a brief mention of weird martinis.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
underwire
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 3:39pm »

Great list--I love Ann Rule but she and Lifetime are off limits while hubby is in a cycle.  He suspects that I am gathering information to commit the perfect crime!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss