Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 12 year old first timer? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Children and Cluster's
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   12 year old first timer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 12 year old first timer?  (Read 1671 times)
susie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

12 year old first timer?
« on: Dec 15th, 2007, 12:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's the pattern beginning 7 days ago to my 12-year-old daughter:

Head pain comes with no warning; begins anywhere from 8:15 p.m. to 10:20 p.m. (so far); intense stabbing pain that causes her to cry out and press above her right eye and lasts for 15-20 seconds; this cycle happens like clockwork every 5-7 minutes for almost exactly three hours with no pain between the 5-7 minute attacks.  She gets this "fireworks" effect as the headache is finishing, i.e. 3-5 stabbing pains in a row instead of 1 at a time.

We've tried ibuprofen, caffeine (seemed to delay the headache but then it returned and she still had to finish the 3-hour amount of time), imitrex, vicodin and percocet with no effect from anything.

Still just working with her pediatrician, very hard to get a quick appointment with a neurologist.  We think this may have been triggered by hormones.  She  discontinued gymnastics training 6 weeks ago because she contracted mono and I think her body fat increased and caused a hormone surge.  Plus, she's 12 so that could have happened anyway.

Any suggestions?  We're exhausted.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: 12 year old first timer?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 1:58pm »

Hi susie. Welcome. Watching our children suffer is so hard.  Sad

The symptoms you describe do not sound like classic CH (thank heaven!) but getting a proper diagnosis is essential for her pain.
While you wait for a neuro appointment, start keeping a headache diary. Note time of day, location of pain and other symptoms, intensity and duration. This will help with diagnosis.

Also, have a look at this:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/paroxysmal_hemicrania/paroxysmal_hemi crania.htm

The best thing about PH is that it's almost 100% responsive to indomethacin. It may or may not apply to your daughter. Print it out and take it to her pediatrician.

I wish you the best searching for an answer. Keep us posted, OK?

hugs and pain free wishes to your daughter, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: 12 year old first timer?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 8:25am »

Hi Susie,  

I'm with Nani in that your daughters symptoms do not sound at all like Cluster headache.

If the Neuro does in fact diagnosis her as having PH..Percocet and Vicodin will do NOTHING for her and I'm certain a Dr. who is more familiar with these types of headaches will attest to that fact.  

I have 7 children so I totally sympathize with you in having to deal with watching a child go through pain.  ANY type of pain on a continuing basis.  I wish nothing but the best.   Kiss

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss