Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Please humor an old man »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Please humor an old man
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please humor an old man  (Read 4076 times)
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Please humor an old man
« Reply #50 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Interesting.

Old Man when you said
"I took (take) 1 tbs of Elderberry twice a day as well"
I know an old woman has at least 25 years on you and seems healthy as a horse allways in her gardens all summer, gave us canned apples and rasberry jam this year with the seeds removed.

A few days ago this old farm woman who lives near me reccomended elderberries for headaches, said it should help. To most shes considered eccentric around here. I like her and I proceeded to tell her of the seeds I took, She went into a huge ramble on natural cures.
Think I will go back and take notes.  

I dont even know what an elderberry is.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
floridian

Email

« Reply #51 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:16pm, the_old_man wrote:
Getting ready for the cold...flu...asthma...bronchitis..."cough until you spit up your small intestine" season, I thought I'd try to build up my immune system hoping to have an easier time of it this year.  Research led me to try Elderberry syrup, turmeric extract, and ginger root extract.  All are natural anti-inflamatory immune system boosters available in any health food store at a very low cost.  I took (take) 1 tbs of Elderberry twice a day as well as 1/3 of an eyedropper of turmeric and ginger root twice a day in my coffee.  So far I have not had a cold or the flu.  I've had very mild asthma symptoms and still have my small intestine intact.  I also skipped my Oct cycle for the 1st time in 29 years.  I don't know if one thing had anything to do with the other, but I'm gloriously PF!!! Maybe Floridian has some thoughts on this.  I could stop taking it to see if my cycle starts, but I'm selfishly enjoying myself too much to tempt the beast.  I guess I'm just a coward, but a happy one.  For less than $20 a month I'm taking a non-drug with no side-effects, and experiencing relief not only with my respitory problems, but also with my CH.  It may be just a coincidence, but maybe...
Maybe I'll get the courage to stop taking it and see what happens.

The Old Man

I've written about curcumin/turmeric - on paper, it looks good as a possible preventive, but it hasn't been tested.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Curcumin

Ginger has some properties like cayenne pepper - it affects substance P cells.  Short term, it may burn and increase the pain/long term, it may reduce it.  If it is fresh ginger, it also has a proteolytic enzyme that reduces coagulation and might dampen some immune/inflammatory responses.  

Elderberry is usually billed as an anti-viral herb, though it has other properties that may come into play here; most of the anthocyanins (red-blue-or-purple pigments) have a good effect on blood pressure and the endothelial system, and some have other properties, like possibly blocking cgrp.  
http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=CGRP

Does the Old Man's cocktail have a beneficial effect on clusters? I don't know, but it is possible.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #52 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 2:54pm »

Well, it's certainly worth a try ...  and a whole lot cheaper than all the meds we're spending on now...

Off to the health food store for this old Granny... well as soon as my grandson wakes up (thank goodness it's nap time right now) .. anyone got a remedy for ENERGY for Grannys? Keeping up with a four year old and fighting CH at the same time is about too much for this old broad. Wink

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #53 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 5th, 2006, 2:54pm, BarbaraD wrote:
Well, it's certainly worth a try ...  and a whole lot cheaper than all the meds we're spending on now...

Off to the health food store for this old Granny...

Let us know how you make out Barb, maybe you should post it on the meds board when you give it a go, I hope you find success Wink

Thanks for the info Flo

Sean.................................
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #54 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 7:52pm »

Hi Old Man!

I don't know how I've missed this thread for so long.

Age 51 here - episodic every 3-4 years since age 42.  I'm also hypertensive (got my dad's bad genes), and controlled with meds.  Frankly, my blood pressure is at its best when I'm in cycle - probably because of the addition of 480mg Verapamil daily to my cocktail.

My only surprise is that my doc keeps allowing me Trex for aborting - probably because B/P is well controlled during cycle.  After hearing of your natural herbal cocktails, I might add to my arsenal.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss