Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 7:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac  (Read 4091 times)
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac
« on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 6:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just saw this on one of the medical sites and it's was really interesting to read - since it gave me at least one reason why I got hit like a train after a sauna when I was in cycle.

In September of last year researchers described a newly recognized trigger for cluster headache – increased body heat. In human beings, it’s been shown that increases in body temperature are related to decreases in the level of a hormone called melatonin.

Research has also revealed that lower levels of melatonin are found in patients with cluster headache than in patients who do not suffer from cluster headache. The levels of melatonin are lower in patients during their cluster period than during remissions.

This has led researchers from the Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil to believe that increased body heat may trigger cluster headache by lowering levels of melatonin as reported in the January 8th, 2000 edition of the Lancet. This suggests that there may be a future role for melatonin in the prevention and treatment of cluster headache.  

So next time round definitely shall add Melatonin supplements to O2 and clusterbusters.

That apart I'll be away for a few days - so may you all have a fantastic Christmas and a brilliant New Year heralding loads more pain free days to us all.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
floridian

Email

Re:  'The possible role of melatonin in clust
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yup. I am definitely more susceptible to heat exhaustion/heat stroke, and heat is a trigger for me.  Serotonin increases body temp, and melatonin decreases it.
IP Logged
Orion
New Board Newbie
USA 

This too shall pass ......

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:56am »

Tough call for me.  When I have late summer cycle (August, Septmeber) here in Florida I get an afternoon ch from going out or in from my car, so I am in for the heat angle.

But hey last night when it was cold I and I get a nice 8+ ch that O2 won't kill so it is trex to the rescue.  I have been doing melatonin for about a week, at least 9 mg, and I have tried a major pharmacy brand, now using nutrition store brand, and unfortuneatley don't see complete relief, 3rd night of 8+, but at least no rebounds (knock on wood).
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:11pm »

The heat angle is very interesting to me as well.  High heat and/or humidity is a sure trigger for me.  I've experimented this winter with the theory, and depending on the outside temperature I keep my bedroom window cracked overnight to allow for a constant flow of fresh cool air to circulate in the room as I sleep.  Not enough to make the room too cold, just to have the cool fresh air to breathe.  

May just be a mind over matter thing, but it does seem to help alot.  My landlord won't be happy with the heating bills but I don't care...
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:16pm »

Makes sense to me as just about everything and anything can and will act as a trigger. In my case, it's chocolate, booze, stress, no stress, cycle of the moon and weather, plus whatever time of day it is and my astrological sky chart index.
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:19pm »

Well temperature is also part of our circadian rhythm which may further explain night attacks.....  Interesting very interesting.....
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:36pm »

maybe i shouldnt be a chef after all then............... Sad
but its the job i love and giving up would be giving in wouldnt it?
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:06pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 2:36pm, zanychef wrote:
maybe i shouldnt be a chef after all then............... Sad
but its the job i love and giving up would be giving in wouldnt it?

If you can't take the heat, get an air conditioner for the kitchen!!
IP Logged
cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:35pm »

lol good one yes ill bite on the heat thing the worst cycles appear to be in the hotest months ill have to read up on it thanks.
IP Logged
owk
New Board Newbie
USA 

It'll be over soon!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:44am »

I'm convinced that 9mg of melatonin killed my cycle this year. This is only my third cycle, so things are still not at full blast, though.

But I'll surely try again next year.
IP Logged
snyder
New Board Veteran
USA 

Nothing can hurt me as much as my head.

wsnyderman   ws366
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:47pm »

I find, in regard to body temp, that getting too warm will trigger an attack when I am in cycle. I have also found that during a bad attack that cooling my lower body, feet, legs, etc., that it seems to draw blood flow away from my head and lessen the CH pain. I have been known to be out in the snow in my underwear (only), and barefoot, when I get a K7 or higher in the winter. It does help.

In the summer I always stand under, or near, a fan when a CH hits. That helps me, too.

Bill
IP Logged

"Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind." -- Edward Albee
Smartin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 5:04pm »

Just posted the following in the thread about kudzu but it also has bearing here.  Not given the heat thing much thought...here in Phoenix HA's haven't appeared until the temp falls below 100.

Last time I visited was last spring when Kudzu became all the rage.  I had been taking verap for about 18 months and missed my fall episode...well I didn't really miss it, it just didn't appear...and thought I had found a wonder drug.  Then I got a rare spring episode and started taking Zu per all of the wonderful recommendations.  Immediate relief...for about 7 days then they came back with a vengence.  During this period, I was also taking melatonin, the verap, and zomig and O2 for aborts.  The I read a post about determining the effectiveness of treatements when we're all pumping so much into ourselves.  So I stopped everything except the aborts for a week.  A hard week.  Then I went on the Melatonin, 5 mgs a night.  the HA's stopped within a couple of days.  Could have been the natural course of the cycle, but I never stopped so quickly before.  I've been alternating 2.5 and 5 mgs every other night since and have been pf.  I chose the Mela first because it seemed to have the least side affects.  (grogginess in the am especially with the 5).  

I've just passed my usual fall period without a shadow.  Now hoping the spring does the same.  

One other note:  My doc gave me a year script for the zomig...6 doses per month is what my insurance pays for.  I have gotten it filled several times and have amassed several months supply (always afraid that I won't have enough around if the monster shows his ugly head.) But some of them are getting ready to expire.  Anyone have any suggestions what to do with it?  I hate it to go to waste.  (This is probably an illegal question but I thought I'd ask it anyway.)  

IP Logged

Great is the thing that makes a child dream
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 8:10pm »

Makes total sense to me.  For 2 cycles, I got hit in the winter/early spring months.  Last time, it was during June/July.  An avid gardener and yard laborer, I started getting hit whenever I was working hard in the flowers.  Had to give up my stress-reducing hobby during mid-day hours.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
chewy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 7:44am »

Quote:
Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
there may be a future role for melatonin in the prevention and treatment of cluster headache.  

Welcome to 2002. Your almost there!
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:05am »

Melatonin at night is a staple for me. I get some sleep and it helps with the "exhaustion" part. I still get hit, but the sleep helps.  

Heat is a trigger and I keep the house to meat hanging temps in the summer and winter (I'm chronic, so I don't get a break). My "hig cycles" hit in the sping and winter, so I have to have "cold" and ice (keep frozen peas handy at all times).  

Can't take a lot of things because of low blood pressure. But the melatonin is a godsend. No hangovers that I've ever noticed. If I can get some rest, I can handle the headaches (well, as much as can be expected - I'd druther do without them, but.......).  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:15am »

Makes sense to me, when I'm at work and get hit, I do the 02 with my air conditioning on full and all of the vents blowing in my face, seems to help with the stabbing pains.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Melissa

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:37am »

Ok, maybe I'm just a weird one here, but of the times I took Melatonin an hour before bedtime, I got slammed harder and more often than when I didn't....

Does that mean I don't have clusters?  Cause that would be AWESOME!! Wink
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:45am »

Increased body temp. may explain why I find excessive physical exertion to be a trigger.

Melatonin added to my med. mix seems to have helped with my night attacks so this information may be of merit.  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:16pm »

This really helped to explain why d/h complains of being to hot while in or starting acycle he has been cronic for 4 years now with only a couple weeks relief a year (if you can call it relief) he als suffers from migrains at the same time> I'll get him some mel. to try and some kudzu
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 1:36am »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 10:37am, Melissa wrote:
Ok, maybe I'm just a weird one here, but of the times I took Melatonin an hour before bedtime, I got slammed harder and more often than when I didn't....

Does that mean I don't have clusters?  Cause that would be AWESOME!! Wink

You and I both.  When I took melatonin, I would sleep Ok for a short time and wake up in worse shape than usual.  It was suggested to try a higher dose (is that the right word) but I am a bit scared to even try it as you can understand.  

So far I haven't found a good way to get sleep at night outside of sleeping in a room with lights on and a TV on and I can exhaust a few hours of sleep.  Now, during the day, I can sleep.... if someone will watch my kids for me.  Wink

IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 1:12am »

I have noticed that my body temp seems to GO up when I am starting to get hit too...this has let me know the beast is about to rear his ugly head many a times...I, too, keep my house cool..I can not take the heat at all
On the subject of melatonin, isnt there some antidepressants that you cant mix with melatonin? smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
llreed
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 8:33pm »

I get a warm flush feeling before the hit, not sure what my temp is but I do know when I come down I cool off quick.... Just started the Melatonin last night - got a  PF night.  Smiley - May have a connection for me?
llreed
IP Logged
djsound
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:59pm »

I just began a cycle after more than three years free.  My last cycle was stopped midway when I tried several doses of melatonin.  My doctor who treats me with Pred and corgard does not believe this could have happened.  However, it ended almost imediately.   This cycle has just begun and I have started taking a few of the melatonin and it has reduced the intensity, but has not ended it like the last time.  I am only taking 3g a night.  Can a person take too much melatonin?   Huh
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 7:17am »

I take about 9-12mg at night. My neuro recommends it highly. He's had a lot of success with it with CH as well as migraines. He takes it for migraines and tells his CH patients to take it at bedtime for sleep.  

I don't know what the "high" dose is, but most of us take 6-12mg.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #24 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 5:40pm »

DJSound,
I hope you meant 3mg! 3 grams of anything is probably going to do bad things to your system.  

I tried medium doses of melatonin during a cycle, and like a couple of others here seemed to get hit extra hard because of it. I won't take melatonin or antihistamines because they had the same effect. I'm happy it helps many though!!!
Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss