Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 'The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac  (Read 4092 times)
GFP
New Board Newbie
Spain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re:  'The possible role of melatonin in clust
« Reply #25 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, what about a step backward?

I'm spanish so sorry for my english. Melatonin is synthetized directly from serotonin so low levels of M. can obviosly derive from low levels of serotonin. SumaTriptan acts over 5HT1 receptor to compress the carotyd and abort attacks, because serotonin does not (there's not enough). So, if you take M. you spend less S. in producing M. and you get higher levels of S., and you abort the real problem.

The heat will help produce Cortisol, and C. increases plattelets captation of S. and induces production of T-Pyrrolasa, who breaks down 5HTP, base of serotonin production. So heat will help raise Serotonin levels and initiate an attack.

... I'm sure M. helps and not to be heat, too...

Of course, I'm not M.D. Hello again.
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 6:16am »

http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2000/dreamcircadian.html

MELATONIN and CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS

Melatonin is one of the main chemicals the body produces which is used in dreams. It is produced by the Pineal gland. It is important not to have too much of this chemical as too much can lead to manic depression and too little can lead to withdrawal. So in some ways we suffer from withdrawal symptoms if we produce too much. So in this way levels of Melatonin are extremely important in helping us regulate our own bodies.

One feature to note is that the bodies production of Melatonin is quite strongly connected with the time of year. Melatonin is know as the vampire drug as it only comes out at nighttime. And during the winter months it can be overproduced and in the summer months it can be under produced.

The main function of Melatonin is to make us feel sleepy. So in winter our body is over producing because of the longer hours of nighttime. This leaves us in an almost drugged up state. That can leave us tired and withdrawn. In areas near the north and south Poles this can be an extreme problem and is linked with SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder).

So during the winter are brains are switching off and we are really attempting to hibernate.

MELATONIN AND DREAMS
Melatonin then is also said to enhance the vividness of dreams. So what can you do to enhance the bodies production of Melatonin?

Diet is an obvious start. Several foods are associated with Melatonin production. They include oats, rice, milk, seafood's, Soya, sweet corn, bananas, and tomatoes. Some people take Melatonin supplements but no studies have been done on the safety of this.

However Melatonin is quickly flushed out of the body within an hour of production so it is better to take the food last thing at night otherwise it will have no effect.

You can also enhance Melatonin levels with actions. As discussed earlier it is associated with the rhythms of the body. And meditation is said to enhance production along with Yoga. Dimmed lights can also encourage Melatonin. After all Melatonin only comes out at night after 9PM. It does not come out during the day at all. It is associated with daylight so a darkened room will enhance its production.

SERATONIN and HALLUCINATIONS
Melatonin is associated with the production of some of the strongest hallucinogens known to man. Seratonin is also made in the Pineal gland. Seratonin though has similarities with smoked drugs such as DMT. It is therefor associated with the hallucinogenic aspects of dreaming. It can produce extremely vivid dreams. It can make you feel extreme levels of love and can enhance the sense that everything is connected. It can also enhance noises and colors.

Many people have associated seratonin - along with other drugs as of beneficial effect. A low seratonin metabolism is connected with depression, crime, drug abuse, reckless behavior and suicides.
Clearly the body cannot do without seratonin. It is essential. And low levels seem to be connected with bad and poor behavior. It leads to poor judgment. And it is clear the brain craves DMT and seratonin. It stimulates the mind. But perhaps over stimulation can lead to a different set of problems. High levels can be associated with schizophrenia, psychosis, mania, mood disorders, brain disease, autism , Alzheimer's disease as well as blood disorders. So it is clear that too much can lead to people being more withdrawn.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #27 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 10:36pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:47pm, snyder wrote:
I have been known to be out in the snow in my underwear (only), and barefoot, when I get a K7 or higher in the winter. It does help.

Bill

I can't help it. :o.. I have to say something here.  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif][smiley=laugh.gif]..
And then, when they've hauled your butt off to jail for indecent exposure, the CH returns, right?  
Sorry I couldn't help myself.  
Melatonin seems to have helped mynight time hits big time...
hope y'all are pain free soon and forever!
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
ScottEinDC
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #28 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 10:21am »

What are the experiences of melatonin helping with day hits?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss