Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Beta Blockers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Beta Blockers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beta Blockers  (Read 2832 times)
Out0fTheMist
New Board Newbie
USA 

Blessings and Love

Out0fTheMist

Beta Blockers
« on: Dec 26th, 2005, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,  
Hope everyone had a great holiday. Some of you have heard form me on this site concerning my 16 year old daughter Sam and our continuing search for help in her CH's. On our visit to UVA Medical Center, the neurologist asked us about her dad's CH. Sam's are hereditery (documented 4th generation).  
David suffered CH's from the time he was 18 or 19. He tried every medicine/treatment in the books. At one time he told me he felt like the worlds biggest guinea pig for meds. Two years befor he died, the doctors placed David on a Beta Blocker (Atenelol) for high blood pressure. David never suffered the "PAIN" of another CH. When a CH hit (yes, he still got all the signs and symptons, just not the pain), you could see the eye swell, his nose would run etc. but the pain of the CH never hit again. The neuro explained that the beta blocker sent a message to the brain and the pain signal was never sent out to the rest of the body ( LOL can't explain this other than this way).  
Now the neuro at UVA wants to try this treatment on Sam, even though she does not suffer high blood pressure. Will keep you posted but so far she is almost pain free. On a scale of 1-5 she stays level 1. Compared to before the beta blocker this is huge progress. For almost 6 straight months, Sam has had daily pain levels above 3 to 5's.  
Sam like her dad is a chronic sufferer. Her CH's started before 2nd grade. She is now in 10th grade and her social life has been grinded to a halt. Her educational problems all stem from CH. I have hope for her now.  
Like her dad I can see the CH hit but no pain. Amazing!  
Anyhoooo, wanted to share this. Might want to check with neurologist for Beta Blockers.  
Hey, it's worth a try.  
Have a great New Year!
Ruth  hug
IP Logged
djsound
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Beta Blockers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 2:28pm »

Hello,

My Neuro put me on Beat-blockers twent five years ago and it certainly has helped, but I can still get slammed during a cycle.   However, I went from a CH everyday (in my twenty's) to an episode every 2-3 years.  The problem I ran into with the beta blockers, is that at first they gave me inderal.  This slowed my heart and caused an arrythmia probelm later.  I then just recently had the arruthmia taken care of by abalation procedure at Cleveland Clinic ($45,000) just glad I had insurance.  Once you go on this drug you have to stay on it, but it is much better than a life of CH.  Good luck - I think when we die and meet our maker, those with CH will extra points for our time in hell on earth.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 6:00pm »

I tried several beta blockers and none did anything for me.  I am so glad that they have provided you and your family the relief that we all so desperetly seek!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Out0fTheMist
New Board Newbie
USA 

Blessings and Love

Out0fTheMist

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 9:11am »

Sam is now off the Beta Blocker. I researched this med and decided at 16 years old, she is a little too young to begin this. After 1 month it did help break her cycle she has been in for 8 months now. But it is not a drug I want her to stay on. It worked for her dad, for Sam it is not an option anymore.  
Guess it is back to the drawing board and waiting for her results to the MRI.  
Good luck all  
love and blessings  
Ruth
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 8:12pm »

Ruth,

Beta Blockers haven't been found to be of much help to the cluster community.  However, Calcium-Channel Blockers like Verapamil have.  Don't give up!

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss