Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Some Questions... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Some Questions...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some Questions...  (Read 1161 times)
Carol_Hackler
New Board Newbie
USA 

Some Questions...
« on: Dec 28th, 2005, 8:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have noticed a couple of things about my headaches and I am wondering if others have the same experiences as I.

1)  After a headache I feel extremely hung-over.  I know that it's not from medication because currently I am not taking anything.  Is that something you experience?

2)  Every time I have this type of headache I wake up from it, usually around 2 or 3 in the morning.  I thought I saw something on this site about that and I have to check that out.  What do you do to get back to sleep when that happens?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

BTW, someone here (I forgot the name) has one of my favorite cd's as their avatar, London Calling.  Very cool! Cool
IP Logged

Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803 - 1882
jon019

Email

Re: Some Questions...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Carol,

Get your ass kicked with indescribable pain and not feel drained, hung over, empty, desperate and you are a better person than me.

Going back to sleep? Damned if I'm gonna let CH take everything. Providing I can subdue the beast (O2, imitrex, zomig, or whatever) I go back to sleep knowing I get one more hour, not ONLY one more, but I GET one more. Mind game. If you get pissed or adrenalized you won't get even that. Easier said than done but has saved my sanity.

Regards

Jon

IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 9:27pm »

Carol.

After a CH attck its hard not to feel hung over considering the battle just fought.

Many myself included are woken many times during sleep. We get up, do our cluster thing whatever that may be untill the attack is over then go back to sleep in an hour or so. Then do it again 10 minutes later and again and again and again and again and agai..............
IP Logged

MJ
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 10:22pm »

I understand your pain and the hung-over feeling.  Taking advise from many people on this site, I started taking melatonin before going to bed initially.  Many say it helps them sleep through the night and many others, myself included say that it really hasn't done much in the way of stopping the hits from comming, but it is sooooooo much easier to fall back to sleep.(until the next one hits), but a few extra minutes of sleep here and there add up. Undecided
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 11:26pm »

on Dec 28th, 2005, 8:47pm, Carol_Hackler wrote:
I have noticed a couple of things about my headaches and I am wondering if others have the same experiences as I.

1)  After a headache I feel extremely hung-over.  I know that it's not from medication because currently I am not taking anything.  Is that something you experience?

Have experienced it with and without meds.
You're body takes such an ass whipping.

2)  Every time I have this type of headache I wake up from it, usually around 2 or 3 in the morning.  I thought I saw something on this site about that and I have to check that out.  What do you do to get back to sleep when that happens?

How about trying to prevent them.........read on.....

Since you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 10-12 times.....I have slept through the night since August '04 (went chronic in March 05).....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.  

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....

My pleasure

BTW, someone here (I forgot the name) has one of my favorite cd's as their avatar, London Calling.  Very cool! Cool

That's me Cool

Best to you,

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:37am »

After several nights of very little sleep, I am so bad that I walk into furniture. After I get over a very bad attack I have looked at myself in the mirror--and it isn't pretty ! I believe that everyone who gets these damn things goes through the same stages.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:53am »

I'm wide awake at 11:00 pm cuz I got hit about 2 hours ago. I use 02 and cafergot with the down side being I have a caffeine buzz for 4-6 hours and can't sleep. My wife loves it cuz I clean house with all my nervous energy! A long way of saying I don't sleep after an attack! And I get the hang over thing too, it's not exactly the left over pain or the meds it's more like my body saying "damn what the heck just happened again! Still hoping for a change with the new year!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 7:11am »

Hung over, exhaustion -- Normal. The pain takes everything out of you.  

I'm with the others on the melatonin. I take 9-12mgs before bed and usually get some sleep (till about 4 in the morning). Then I'm UP for the day. I've not ever been able to go back to sleep after a hit. I don't know if it's just being afraid or if I just can't put my head down, but after a night hit, I'm just up till the next night. If I try to go back to sleep, I'm gonna get hit with a dilly, so I've just learned to be a morning person.  

I've been on melatonin for quite a while, and one thing I've found - I wake up at a lower level (about a 4 instead of a 9). I hit the floor immediately and get the coffee and O2 and usually abort the morning HA. Before the melatonin, It was 9-10 wake up call a couple of hours after going to sleep, so it's really helped me.  

Of course (disclaimer here) it doesn't work for everyone. But it might be worth a try (give it a couple of weeks to get in your system).  

But the more rest you can get in between hits the better you can handle the hits. I'm chronic so trust me on this one.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 3:59pm »

Hung over - absolutely!  Feels like I've been on a drinking binge, but I don't drink at all while in cycle.

Melatonin helps somewhat in allowing me to fall asleep, and sometimes sleep for a long time.  But, if I'm awakened with a hit, there is no going back to bed after it's over - key word here is BED.  I will sit upright in a comfy chair and put my head back, and will fall asleep for a while, but I cannot lie down in bed.  At least, I do get some more sleep, along with a stiff neck, but it's still sleep.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:40am »

I do see where you are on this one.  Not sure I'd call it hung over - more like a complete mental and physical exhaustion.  Might as well be hung over - at least that would mean we had some fun getting there.

Sometimes after an attack subsides I just crash until the next one.  Other times returning sleep doesn't happen so easily - don't know, maybe it's fear of the next one.  Melatonin has also helped me sleep better but I understand that it doesn't work for everyone.

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:33pm »

Every time  

Most of the time I try to go to sleep it just wont come. Tried nyquil but only a day or 2 fix then it doesnt work. tried alot of stuff and the most i get is a couple hrs nap till hit again. still searching for full night sleep so if you find it show me and im there.

IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 7:57pm »

You've gotten some great advice, Carol.

There's no avoiding that drained and exhausted feeling, but I've found, like others, that 9mg of Melatonin about 30 minutes before bed can help me avoid those night hits all together.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:04pm »

1) As soon as the HA is done I do a happy dance with a big ass smile.

2) As soon as the HA is gone I go back to sleep with no problem.

It must be all the practice ive had Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

TonyG1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I always get night time hits when I'm in cycle, rare for me to have much more than a strong shadow during the the day --

1.  As others have so aptly put it, the wiped out feeling is normal after the beating of a CH.

2.  If I can subdue with meds or my other CH rituals and the CH passes ... can't help but go back to sleep; however, I used to fear the CH would come back and sometimes it does but you just deal with it ... Sad

BTW - when I'm in cycle the CHs are a nightly battle usually around the same time every night; however, preventative meds (verapamil) seem to help with that after they have time to ramp up in your system.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:51pm by Tony3901 » IP Logged
teajay5779
New Board Newbie
USA 

make them STOP, please!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 3:11pm »

I'm spaced out after my clusters, I guess you could call it a hangover. I feel a little dizzy, off balance, and wiped out. I can usally go right back to sleep b\c I soo wiped from the CH
IP Logged

What people expect to happen is always different from what actually happens. From this comes great disappointment; this is the way the world works
Carol_Hackler
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 7:00pm »

Hey all - thanks for the advice.

Melatonin eh?  I took Melatonin for a while when I had a nasty case of insomnia and the stuff gave me the weirdest dreams.  I should try it again, dreams or not, it would be worth it.

Thanks!  Grin
IP Logged

Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803 - 1882
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss