Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleep Disturbances - Is There More »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleep Disturbances - Is There More
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep Disturbances - Is There More  (Read 1134 times)
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

Sleep Disturbances - Is There More
« on: Jan 11th, 2006, 3:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Obviously shadowing, the beast itself, depression, anxiety, and a great number of other things will cause disruption in sleep cycle.

But does anyone else experience sleep disturbance that do not seem to be directly related to anything?  

Perhaps not being able to sleep at night before a cycle or at the end of a cycle?  

Maybe getting very sleepy at a time of day that you normally have a lot of energy, or having tons of energy when you should be dead tired?

Does it come on rapidly, lasting not very long, and then leave quickly like the beast?  

Do these disturbances coincide with or close to the same time of the clusters with in a cycle?

Just thinking about the importance of the hypothalamus, my own experiences, and wondering what others have experienced or would like to share.
IP Logged

WaltD
http://www.waltdavis.net/crazydog-ch-profile.pdf
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

Re: Sleep Disturbances - Is There More
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 3:18am »

I don't know if this is going to help at all, but I seem to be comming to the end of my current cycle, and find myself waking up in the middle of the night expecting to have a HA at the usual times, but there is nothing there.  I think my body(or mind) has been awakened at these times for so long that it has become used to it and now just does it automaticaly.  I'm fairly sure this will pass.
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 6:20am »

i am chronic and on disabillity so i sleep when i can wifey works 3rd shift so we have very odd sleeping times Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 8:28am »

on Jan 11th, 2006, 3:02am, crazydog wrote:

Maybe getting very sleepy at a time of day that you normally have a lot of energy, or having tons of energy when you should be dead tired?

Does it come on rapidly, lasting not very long, and then leave quickly like the beast?  

Do these disturbances coincide with or close to the same time of the clusters with in a cycle?

Yes. Quite often in fact.
I can be completely involved in something and suddenly I can barely keep my eyes open.

I have definately been able to relate this to the times I may normally have an attack, often just before.
I have never suffered from any sleeping disorders, but this cycle I have paid close attention to this.

In the last many years I treated myself with ephedrine a stimulant, wich I am lately wondering if it was actually helping with the silent sleepies (as Pink Floyd calls them) and that might be why I found it beneficial. Might help to explain coffee, red bull, etc.. too.

Touched on this a little bit in another thread a while ago.

MJ

IP Logged

MJ
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 8:56am »

Sleep disruption occurs as I am about to enter another peek in cycle (chronic dude and have cycles within cycle)

I previously had night time attacks under control with melatonin.

I also was extremely lethargic which I attribute to verapamil since I have more energy despite loss of night time sleep since detoxing off of the med. The less I take the better I feel during the day. (I think)

My experience with sleep throughout my life has been awful even prior to clusters. Damn serotonin levels...Ya think there's a coincidence?? Of course there is.

Good luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 12:23pm »

Going back 8 years (1997) to the beginning I was episodic.

I had sleep pattern issues but I can’t recall which showed first; CH or the sleeping problems.  

My gut feeling is that the sleeping problems where present before I took my first hit, but of course I did not even know what a CH was back then.

Moving forward a few years; in 2001, I started taking Zoloft for OCD and had both improvement in sleep patterns and headaches, still did not know what a CH was.

Later in 2004 my CH transformed to chronic.

Finally having destroyed my digestive system with OTC’s I went to the family doctor in mid 2005.  

Even though my doctor suspected CH he also knew that in clinical trials Zoloft had a high probability of causing headaches. Yep, he took me off the Zoloft.

Now those sleeping disturbances, which did exist before, have just been amplified several times over.

So my point is that CH is connected to the hypothalamus and the hypothalamus helps regulate circadian rhythm.  

As I have become more connected with CH and how it affects my life I wonder if the connection to circadian rhythm is much more important than what we realize.
IP Logged

WaltD
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 1:35pm »

Quote:
But does anyone else experience sleep disturbance that do not seem to be directly related to anything?

Quote:

Yup.  

At my last sleep study, I cycled into REM 'too quickly'.  I also have a history of sleepwalking and acting out dreams although this has diminished over the past couple of years.

I have suspected that the answers to CH may be revealed in sleep brain waves and the sleep cycle.  Who knows.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 5:55pm »

It has been interesting to watch the thread on “The possible role of melatonin in cluster headac”.

For example, CH patients have low levels of Melatonin. But when exactly in the circadian rhythm is it low, at day or night?

What if it was low at night and high at day, this might explain why some people feel the way they do while in a cycle and certainly could be attributed to a disorder of the hypothalamus.

And that Serotonin and Melatonin are related. So then in my case for example going off Zoloft while in a cycle would amplify any sleep disturbances. But then again Zoloft is very selective so maybe that is not a good example.

At any rate it is intriguing to think about.
IP Logged

WaltD
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 7:10am »

I get most hits between 5 and 11 pm...for abot three months I started wakingat 1am and 3 am...have no reason why...nothing new stresswise, and no actual pain hits...just woke up, checked clock, sighed, and waited about 10 minutes to fall back alseep...
IT stopped after three months...ans i never got any bad hits....(Bump inthe Time-Space blanket that covers us?)
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss