Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Member »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Member  (Read 1426 times)
Shell_C
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« on: Jan 12th, 2006, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have had the CH for about 10 years on and off at very random times throughout the year...they are always late at night when I am sleeping...I also have migraine headaches all the time but at all time of the day or night. I almost can tell a couple of days in advance when the CH will start again because I will have a migraine almost everynight for a week and then the CH will start. They usually last about 30-45 min sheer pain and then they are done. They take place anywhere from 5-7 days every night. I have gone to the doctors for years for these headaches and they do nothing. They basically give me 800 to 1000 ibiprofin, which does nothing. I do not want to take any kind of pain pills that are addicting so what is there out there for me. Please Help.
Michelle
Age 35
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:02pm »

Hi Michelle,

Sorry you are suffering.  Has a knowledgeable neurologist actually told you that you have clusters and/or migraines?  If so, my first response would be to find another doc.  Ibuprofen is one OTC med that can cause more problems than it solves, and it does nothing for cluster headaches - only causes rebounds.

I urge you to take the cluster quiz to the left and read the medical info also.  Print out results and take them to your doc (or the new doc).  Add this article to your arsenal:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

I also recommend starting a headache diary.  It should be kept daily, noting the times HA's start and end, intensity of pain, what meds you take, what works and doesn't, etc.  Take this with you as well to the doc (or new doc).

There are many effective meds out there for both clusters and migraines - but you first need a diagnosis from a reliable doctor who's willing to prescribe what you need.

Hang in there, and keep us informed.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Shell_C
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:17pm »

I actually have headaches all my life since I was about 5 years old, I have always been very active in sports so I thought (which I was told early on by a doctor) that I get headaches because I do not sweat out of my head so all my life (soccor, softball,) I have dealt with them. I was about 24 when I got my first CH I thought I must have a brain tumor for the pain to be that bad. When I went to the doctor he just gave me pain medicine. They lasted for 1 week. Then I did not have then for about 1 year and then again 1 week long every night approx 45 min long. I have an HMO for medical insurance and everytime I go more pain meds. The last time I went I told them I went online and I have all the signs for what they call CH except I first feel sick to my stomach and then I get the chills all over and then they start. More pain meds (Vicodin, 800 Motrin, Ibiprofin) so on. Should I try and make an appt with some certain type of doctor? You said a neurologist? Thanks for the info? Is there anything over the counter you think I could get at this point to help? They started again last night I have tried every over the counter migraine medicine out there any ideas? I thought about taking some type of strong sleeping pill but I doubt that will work. Dreading the night tonight any quick help would be great!
Michelle
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:25pm »

Michelle,

There are no known OTC meds that effectively treat clusters.  In fact, aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol, etc., can all cause worse rebound headaches - just like narcotic meds do.

I urge you again to follow the link I gave you, print it out - along with the "medical info" on the link to the left.  Show these to your doctor and request a consult with a neurologist.  If he/she refuses, find another primary care doc.  

Once you read these articles, you'll better understand what I'm saying.  There are far too many ignorant physicians out there.  

In the meantime, try ice, heat, hot showers, exercise, etc.  But, try to stay away from OTC meds if possible.

PM me if you need support or further info.  Hugs to you,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 10:14pm »

Michelle,
 You can go to the doctor and demand a referral to a neurologist. Good news...pain meds do nothing for CH so you shouldn't get hooked. Take the cluster quiz if you havn't yet like Kris said. Another thing you may try is caffiene this will sometimes abort and should be used sparingly as it can become a vicious cycle. Two strong cups of coffee has aborted many a headache for me. If you can get ahold of some 02 that would be enough to get to a neurologist. Lots of information in the meds and treatment section.
 all the best  
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 11:30pm »

Hi Shell C
Barry from down under, welcome but really hope you don’t have Clusters.  

I would suggest you demand that you get a referral to a Neurologist for confirmation one way or the other as there are other things that can mimic CH.  

When you get the referral go armed with as much info as you can glean from this site and anything we can point you to as the Nuro may not have heard of CH anyway and He/She may need the info to be able to help you in prescribing meds or oxygen.
If you’re not keen on meds then oxygen is the way to go, have a look at the link to the left on oxygen info.

There is a heap of info to the left; read, read and read again to acquaint yourself with the condition.  
Do the cluster quiz, as a start it will give you some idea what you are dealing with.

Hears a link to the Mayo clinic for a starter.  

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cluster-headache/DS00487  

Keep us informed as to how you are going.  
Kind Regards  
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 2:35am »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 8:17pm, Shell_C wrote:
Dreading the night tonight any quick help would be great!

Nyet.
There are no quick fixes. Using this place for long term goals is a better idea. We're all going to be at this for a while.

Planning is everything.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 6:33am »

Shell,

I'm with everyone else. Take the Cluster Quiz on the left and QUIT taking the OTC stuff. You're probably just making them worse.

You might get some Melatonin and take it about 30 minutes before going to sleep. It might help you get thru the night. Take about 9-12mg before going to sleep. But the other stuff will just make them worse (rebounds).

Pain meds DO NOT work on Clusters!  

What are you taking for the migraines? Imitrex or Cafergot works for the migraines (not pain meds) and will most of the time abort a CH (your doc should KNOW this if he/she knows anything about headaches at all). Check out the meds site and go to him/her prepared with information on both types of headaches.  

The week long bouts doesn't seem typical for CH, but CH is not always typical in everyone so that may just be a fluke.  

The main thing is read all the info available on the left and go to the doc prepared to DISCUSS your condition. If he/she won't LISTEN to you and DISCUSS it - FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR who will. There is NO reason to suffer any more than you have to.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 6:35am »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 8:25pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
Michelle,

There are no known OTC meds that effectively treat clusters.  In fact, aspirin, ibuprofen, tylenol, etc., can all cause worse rebound headaches - just like narcotic meds do.

Kris, I've had luck with Excedrin. I think the caffeine in it is what does the trick.
IP Logged
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 7:19am »

If Aspirin does not upset your digestive system then you might give Excedrin Migraine a try.

Ultram is a prescription non narcotic opiate that might work and is generally considered not habiting forming like narcotic pain killers.

Caffeine has a very unique property that when combined with other drugs will cut down on the amount of drug required to normally make it effective or makes it effective when it would otherwise not be.

Unfortunately, for most people with CH, the pain comes on so fast and without enough warning that analgesics are not an effective means of acute treatment.  

So if your one of these people then you need something that works faster than a pill.

Not sure what others would say but from my experience even with strong pain killers and advance warning, with CH, you’re still going to have pain.

For example, on one attach I took 20mg of Hydrocodone 2 hours before reaching a crescendo and it was still a pacer and I was banging my head with my fist.  

I took less than half that when I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted and felt no pain at all.

Now compare that to an Imitrex self administered injection. It does not work for everyone but for me it works within 5 minutes and I am completely pain free.

You don’t want to end up like I did before deciding to go see a doctor. I about destroyed my digestive system on OTC’s.

http://www.waltdavis.net/crazydog-ch-profile.pdf
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006, 8:27am by CrazyDog » IP Logged

WaltD
http://www.waltdavis.net/crazydog-ch-profile.pdf
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 10:13am »

The Excedrin works for me BUT be careful how often you take it because it WILL cause rebounds. If I hit a 5 in 3 seconds I'll pop about 3 Excedrin Extra Strengths along with a LOT of black coffee to abort, but will not repeat it for several days. If that doesn't do the trick, I go to the cafergot.  

Be careful with OTC stuff.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 10:22am »

I swear by Red Bull. Keep a few in the fridge, and pound one down as soon as you feel the beast knockin'. It helps me. Shortens the hit and keeps it from screaming up the Kip scale.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 8:42pm »

Welcome aboard,

The following links may help and there is a wealth of information on the site.  Do some google searches and such - there is a lot of good information starting to be published on CH.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/9362-6.asp

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050215/717.html

Best Wishes on your journey

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss