Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Food Allergy Testing »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Food Allergy Testing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Food Allergy Testing  (Read 914 times)
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

Food Allergy Testing
« on: Jan 13th, 2006, 5:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What have others have done in the area of food allergy testing.

Personally I have done nothing with it, nor have I had a doctor bring it up but have been reading on it.  

Information on the subject makes it sound very easy, just order a kit and your doctor’s office can draw the blood then return the sample.  

Using various techniques the lab will determine what foods you are allergic to and you will know what foods are likely causes of your headaches.

So far I have not read anything that indicates a correlation to food allergies for CH suffers, Migraine yes.

Looks like there are several different tests available.
IP Logged

WaltD
http://www.waltdavis.net/crazydog-ch-profile.pdf
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Food Allergy Testing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 5:27am »

Hi!
Based on my own knowledge which I will freely admit is not vast different foods have no correlation to CH. CH is caused by a dodgy hypothalamus (or possibly even pineal gland!) and whilst alcohol is a big trigger for many ch'ers there has only been sporadic reporting of foods that trigger.
I'd suggest you keep your money and keep a food diary for a month and see if you can pin point anything for yourself but I'd be surprised if you could.
I personally don't have a great deal of faith in food allergy testing. I have coeliac disease which is a intolerance/allergy to wheat and gluten (which is also found in barley and rye and some oats depending on how they are processed) and yet when I had food allergy testing done it didn't pick up on it.  
Good luck, let us know what you decide and how you get on okay?
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 10:09am »

Keep a diary. If you eat MSG and have a headache afterward - don't eat MSG. Same with drinking, cheese and anything else. I don't think any of us have the same triggers so you just have to pick up on what YOURS are.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 10:33am »

I had a wide spectrum allergy test done some years ago. I went to the doctors office and he proceded to prick me (no wise a$$ comments please) with about 150 little needles with a taste of what he was testing on them. Come back another day and see what happens at the sights of the pricks (I know you're tempted Jonny). They said I had to live in a cave with no window treatments and no carpets, no pets, no plants and no anything else. I don't think that allergies are the direction to go to fight the beast, that would be too easy and would have been discovered ages ago. So unless you suffer from bad hay fever or severe food reaction (rash, swelling) don't bother. You will just be in for weekly injections that don't do much but subsidize your doctors next vacation.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 11:35am »

I've had my share of allergy testing in the past, but food (besides lactose) testing is something I don't want to do.  

I have noticed that some salty snacks (e.g. popcorn, tortilla chips, nachos) cause me CH occasionally. But because it's not always, I don't think that I'm allergic to them. CH just doesn't like that much salt.

But if you want to do the test, go ahead and let us know if you found out something. Smiley Knowledge is always power. Wink

Best wishes & PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 1:31pm »

A long time ago, when this Board was first opened, this was a recurring topic both in messages and in the medical literature. It has disappeared, for all practical purposes.  

I'd not spent the time and money unless you have experience which seems to point at a specific food, etc.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
MyKeppieHurts
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2006, 2:37pm »

I did the food allergy blood test that you send away to be tested (I know the company had Smokey Mountain in the name).  Granted, I have been diagnosed with NDPH (New Daily Persistent Headache), but the results that came back were wacky.  I have a fresh fruit allergy (since '93) and the test said that I could eat all the fruit I want.  The company said that since I haven't had any fruit in my system for x amount of months that it couldn't register that I was allergic.  That's kinda odd to me. The test cost a lot of $$ too.
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 3:14am »

I am in no way an expert on food allergies--but when I experienced my first Cluster attack in 1977 -the times I had MSG laced food --the headaches were fast and furious !!! I was eating Chinese Food twice a week ( this will blow e-double's mind--- a NYC non-jewish person loving Chinese Food) Because everybody ( several doctors) didn't know what was wrong with me I kept on eating Chinese Food. When I stopped the headaches lessened somewhat. So whenever I am in a cycle---I simply stay away from all Chinese Food. The best place is the Peking Duck House West 53rd--between 2nd and 3rd Avenue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 11:26am »

My dr was just sure it was allergies causing my problems.  The tests are easy.  Found out the only thing I am allergic to is ragweed a type of grass which there is none of in my area.  So much for that idea.  It may be possible that something your allergic to triggers a ha but I doubt if all your ha would go away just based on eliminination.  Good luck.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss