Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Triggers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Triggers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Triggers  (Read 1193 times)
tgardpak
New Board Newbie
USA 

Let up for a second and thats where you'll finish

Email

Triggers
« on: Jan 17th, 2006, 12:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey all its been a while since I've been on here but I'm in a cycle after a 2year abscence.  I know that all of us on here are trying to figure out what causes these or finding ways to stop the pain. By the way I am a 20+ year sufferer.  I have a question to ask, being that we are from all over the world with different climates we know we get these in cold or heat mostly heat. so that pretty much rules out climate but I think I have found something that I think triggers my cycle and that is barometric pressure.  Low barometric pressure 28.5 and below.  I started to figure this out 2 years ago when we had a summer that the whole eastern half of the US was stuck in a low pressure system lots of clouds and rain, but this cycle that started 2 weeks ago is in winter and I would never get these in the winter but guess what the pressure is fluctuating between thirty and dropping to 28.  

My last bout was also when I figured out mild excercise would get rid of these for me, I was is so much pain one night I took off running in my backyard after about a minute I stopped to kneel down and squeeze my brains out of my head and breathing heavy the pain had just dissapeared. So the next night took off jogging and just a lap around my yard and it went away.  A little exercise is working for me this round to.  

Any how just wondered if anybody else felt this might be a trigger.  Wishing you all PF days and nights!

Tom
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Triggers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 12:34am »

Triggers, triggers, triggers.  I sometimes wonder what isn't a bloody trigger for one of us or another.  Alcohol, perfume, wheat germ, milk, flashing lights, and for some poor bastages it's sex!  (I find that to relieve my symptoms but it seems to give her a headache instead.)

As to the barometer, it was discussed here recently and I recall it was more the change in pressure that seems to bring it on.  I certainly know that to be true for me.

Exercise?  Many swear by it and whether it works by increasing the O2 or just taking your mind off it doesn't matter.  So long as it works.

Get your jogging shoes on, my friend, and best wishes always.

Brian, the fittest virgin in Oz.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 3:51pm »

That must make me the second fittest then!!!

The best thing I find by knowing your triggers, is that, even though a bit barbaric, sometimes extensive shadows can be just as exhausting as getting hit.

So if I have a long shadow, I throw down a few shots of bourbon and start the beast boogie.  

Its too bad im not a weather man, cause I would just leave the low pressure cells hovering over Antartica and save us all.

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 4:00pm »

I couldn't agree more.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 5:59pm »

Low barometric pressure is not a trigger for me. SInce my cycle ended in July, I've gone through 3 hurricanes here in florida (2 of them knocked out power in my house, the last one damaged my f...n roof). Hurricanes bring with them very low barometric pressure. 2 of the 3 storms passed over my house. I didn't get any headaches, othern than the ones relating to the decreasing size of my bank account after having to fix my house.
IP Logged
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 5:30pm »

Sometimes I think food and sleep are triggers for me. any food any sleep and beer is a 100% dance..
IP Logged

Tom
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 7:44pm »

Quote:
Any how just wondered if anybody else felt this might be a trigger

Nope.  In my experience, CH will happen no matter what.

'The Ultimate Trigger':  Life

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:19pm »

I'm new here....so, first of all, hello to everyone and sorry we had to meet under these particular circumstances.

Triggers.  Well, I have autonomic failure, so what seems to be a main trigger is anything that causes changes in my blood pressure.  This usually involves being upright when I'm in cluster mode as I am orthostatic and this causes my blood pressure to greatly drop.  Also anything that produces the slightest bit of hypoxia...slight congestion in the lungs, something cooking on the stove, etc.   Changes in temperatures also wreak havoc.
IP Logged
suziq
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:36pm »

Low barometric pressure is a trigger for me too.

Suziq
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:30pm »

I've sworn for years that barometric pressure changes triggers me. I'm chronic and between CH and arthritis (I'm OLD too) I can predict rain better than the weatherman.  

But that's about the only constant trigger I've ever been able to come up with except beer years ago and now that doesn't seem to bother me (I only try it occasionally now - I really don't want to temt fate).  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:13pm »

Winter Solstice 100% trigger. Fatigue, booze,relaxation, stress,ignorant doctors,trolls.
jb Cheesy
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 7:55pm »

Have been sufferrer for +10 yrs.- Like most here have gone through every possible thing that could be a trigger - diet, weather, soaps, wifes' perfume, daily habits- everything -- but cannot find any things that are a true trigger- my theory is that there are triggers but they buld up other  aperiod of time - maybe diet ( for me I think smoked meats)- but becuase of that you can never isolate any exact things or things and it's pretty hard to stop or change everything single thing in your life. For me , periods of stress or just after seem to lead to the ultimate onset but don't think stress alone is a trigger. I ahve had MRI's , kept logs, everything and they just happen.
It is nerve racking trying to think there is something specific that causes the episodes, the curses. Part of the issue is that most , well at least myself, looks for 'triggers' at the onset of a cycle and once I am in a cycle I am paranoid that so many things are a trigger - the smell of perfume seems highlighted and I panic - the paranoia makes me ultra sensitive to everything and one is so terrified of when the next one will hit - it might even bring them on-- now, unlesss I ahve done something way out of the ordinary - I don't even think about posible triggers - but look for possible prevents or new abortive ways- imitrex makes me feel terrible but the tradeoff is worth it- however it has limits in dosage - I took too much over a short period of time once and thought i would almost die and felt like it was extremely dangerous - and without it as the ultimate backup was a sick and scary feeling that I was going to suffer and not a thing I could do about it..
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 7:56pm »

on Jan 18th, 2006, 7:44pm, eyes_afire wrote:

Nope.  In my experience, CH will happen no matter what.

'The Ultimate Trigger':  Life

--- Steve

Exactly!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:04pm »

January
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:22pm »

9:00 PM and 3:00 PM when I'm in cycle.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

October and
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:34pm »

Alcohol
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #16 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 7:33pm »

I have found that when I travel and go through elevation changes I get hit.  Long plane rides also seem to hit me.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thenucman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 9:27am »

I had never really linked barometric weather changes, but that makes perfect sense for me.
When I am in cycle, any kind of elevation change is a trigger. Even as little a change as 1000 feet. Oddly, even if I am at elevation for a short time, the CH is only delayed, not forgotten. I have a  1000 ft. pass I have to go over occasionally to go to work. If I am in cycle, my CH will hit a few hours afterward.
Flying is a huge problem. I discussed it before on this forum. Besides taking whatever you can before the flight, once you are airborne, you're alternatives are very limited.
IP Logged
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 8:47pm »

Changes in Barometric pressure are absolutes for me. Good thing I live in San Diego where the weather is fairly constant.
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
tgardpak
New Board Newbie
USA 

Let up for a second and thats where you'll finish

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 8:56pm »

I think we all have abnormal hypothalmus's  Huh Seriously this would explain why  the pain is always on the same side as this is the switching station for the brain.  I swear it has something to do with either high or low pressure and the way the hypothalmus reacts to it that starts a cycle.  

Just another shot in the dark by a clusterhead. Grin
IP Logged
thenucman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:07pm »

I told my wife I wanted  a Hyperbaric Chamber for Christmas. O2 at pressure!!! Not practical, really, but fun to think about.

The other thing I have wondered about, since you live in San Diego, Phil, is how much effect the amount of winter daylight may play on CH cycles. For instance, in San diego, the effect of shorter days is significantly less than that of Anchorage, Alaska.
The only reason I am even thinking along these lines is that I have to travel to Anchorage in 2 weeks. I am concerned with the effect it might have on my circadian rhythm, if any.
Who knows, though. It might just throw it all out of wack and end this cycle  laugh
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss