Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: question  (Read 367 times)
gtjim
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

question
« on: Jan 17th, 2006, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi, my name is jim . i live in australia and was diagnosed with this last week.  this site rocks! if i didnt stumble onto this site i wouldnt have known about the icepack trick or the coffee trick. THANKYOU.these two things have helped me immensley, plus im on verapamil(not sure if it is really helping though).  

ch SUCKS BIG TIME  

are there any bad short or long term side effects of using verapamil?  

my ch has been on my right up until this morning. is it normal to change sides??
IP Logged
joke ten dam
New Board Junior
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

poldertocht  
Email

Re: question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 5:49pm »

how long have you had CH?
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 5:55pm »

There is nothing normal about CH. We are all different, but the majority of us don't switch sides.

Can't answer on Verap, as all I know is what I've read, and you can do that on your own. I have an opinion, but it's only that. It's not a fact.

Verap is a preventive med. You also need an abortive weapon. My weapon of choice is, in the following order:1 Oxygen, 2 imitrex.

When are your hits? If you get hit a night, try melatonin. 9 mg before you go to sleep may help, but it will take a few days to build up. You can get it at the supermarket or walgreens, in the vitamin section.

PF wishes.
Jose

BTW: what's with the GT in your name? Do you drive a mustang?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 6:40pm »

I took up to 960mg of verapamil(calan).  It caused me to become severly constipated and I had to take medicine to.  It caused shallow breathing and shortness of breath.  Then at the highest dose it caused irregular heart beat.  So I gave up on it and got off it quickly.

BTW it can change sides.  Not common but it can.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 7:08pm »

Jim,

Welcome to the family!  Sorry for you, too.  The ice and the coffee helped me big time, too.  So much support here.  

I just had my first round of CHs, lasted only 2 weeks, but was in hell most of that time.  About halfway through, my doctor put me on Verapamil 480 mg (though I confess, I don't know if I was taking it as prescribed, as I would forget from one minute to the next, and know I took more than I should have a couple times).  Took me several days to adjust to it, but the grogginess goes away after a few days.  It seemed to work for me, in that the monsters dropped from 8s and 9s with 10 spikes down to 6s and 7s with 9 spikes (Kip Scale)...did nothing for the shadow, though. Coffee and ice helped with that.

Thanks for saying that yours switched sides within one cluster...mine did too.  That was pretty confusing.  It became just bloody agonizing, too, because after switching sides (from right to left after Day 3), the really bad ones (2-4 bads in a 24 hour period, 2 hours+ apiece) would blossom from the left side of my head to fully engulfing my whole head, with what felt like red-hot iron rods jammed up through BOTH eyeballs and eye sockets, and ramming up through the top of my skull.  It was agony.

Regarding the short term memory loss and meds:  many people here advised me to start writing notes to myself during the episode (cluster of CHs), especially with regard to medication.  This will prevent under/over dosing.  I will DEFINITELY do this next time around!

Wish you much luck.  Keep us posted.

--Phil
IP Logged
gtjim
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 7:37pm »

Hi Guys,

Thankyou for your replies.

It started on Dec 30 and it has come  like clock work 10am and 6pm. Since Ive been on verapamil 160 it hits me about midnight and usually lasts for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. average kip 7.5 but have had a couple 9's and one 10 that took me to the ER.

Again thanks for your replies, means alot
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 7:59pm »

Hi gt

Barry T from Karratha W.A. and expat Crow Eater.

Welcome to the best little nut house around.

I cant help on the meds side of things as I go the o2, read up on every thing you can here as there is a heap of info to help you through.

Have a look in the Getting to know you and the thread "Anyone else in Australia" you will see that you are not alone here in Oz, we are just one branch of a huge family tree.

Kind Regards
Barry
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006, 8:01pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
gtjim
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 10:11pm »

howdie bazza,

this ch bizo really suks big time. i feel as if im living in a different world at the moment.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss